Menu

I think this story will be appreciated here...lol

You know what. I think it's a cute story, but maybe it's provocative. I don't want to start anything or offend anyone.

As not to be mysterious, I copied the post and will share with anyone who asks.

(It was about my dd who set up a 'nativity' set with various playmobil characters who are not part of the nativity set. )

Edited by LibraryLover

LOVE this! :lol:

We drove past a nativity the other day and my dd said, "There's baby Jesus and the three wizards with presents from Santa!" Sigh. Apparently I've seriously neglected her "World Religion" studies.

Sarah, I deleted the post. I didn't want to offend.

My dd actually has a very good World Religions background. She's older than your dd. She had to work with what she had, Playmobil/Lego- wise. lol I did remind her that there would have been no pigs. She slapped her own forehead. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

ETA: OK it's gone. Maybe a moderator can delete this so it doesn't seem more than it was. Oy. I'm sorry.

Too late! I already read it! :D

I wish I would have seen the entire original post. It sounds like a great story (and I know I wouldn't have been offended!)

lol It's still in Sara's post. I really don't mean to offend. I thought it was cute, and if someone gets upset, I can ask Sara to delete it.

I'm probably making a big deal for no reason. Ignore me.

lol It's still in Sara's post. I really don't mean to offend. I thought it was cute, and if someone gets upset, I can ask Sara to delete it.

It's gone now. It just took me a minute to figure out what I was doing. :001_smile:

I'm sorry I missed the post- it sounded cute. We've had all kinds of nativity drama here, we had a dragon attacking the stable one day, one day there were polar bears and flamingos around the manger. I LOVED the nativity figures in the fire engine! Totally the kind of thing that my kids would do.

Just going on what I've pieced together from the replies, it sounds like it would have been a cute story. :)

It's a shame that we've grown so used to be politically (religiously?) correct, that we can't share stories of this nature without turning it into something ugly. I wish more people could laugh about religion.

<<<------Hockey Mom, who thinks Tim Hawkins is the best comedian ever! :p

I remember somebody's blog post from a while ago about her nativity. I don't recall the details, but one of her kids had arranged everybody in a neat line, backs to the observer. She went to change it then thought, actually, that makes sense. Why do we so often portray the visitors and animals facing away from the new baby? Of course they'd all crowd around and want to see!

I thought that was so charming. And I also dig the fire engine and polar bears. Now we just have to convince one of the polar bears to bring a Christmas ham, like the Herdmans.

Just going on what I've pieced together from the replies, it sounds like it would have been a cute story. :)

It's a shame that we've grown so used to be politically (religiously?) correct, that we can't share stories of this nature without turning it into something ugly. I wish more people could laugh about religion.

:iagree: In the UK Christians at least aren't quite so serious about religion. I think the Irish are probably the most devout, but also tell some of the most scandalously irreverent jokes about religious matters. Some of the other religions here, however, get offended more easily.

Cassy

OP wouldn't you consider reposting, please ... ?

In the spirit of being able to laugh, I offer a warning that the following is hilarious and could be construed as irreverent, although that is NOT how it was intended then OR now.

This is from last year:

Tonight we put out the Playmobil nativity set, and Aiden and Norah have been playing with it for a good two hours. Here are some phrases I overheard as they were playing:

"I am a good person. I am God. You are my son." "Hi Daddy. Can I fly like you can?" "Yes, but [turning to the angel Gabriel] can we borrow your wings?" "Sure, here you go." "OK, you [turning back to baby Jesus] can use them first, then I'll use them."

"BUT HE IS THE PROMISED SAVIOR!! Red Rackham [from Tintin, apparently standing in for Herod] will kill him!"

"I am an angel. I have wine."

"I'll have a side of cranberries, and coffee and wine to drink." [apparently they had a buffet in the stable]

"You can't put a crown on Mary. She doesn't get a crown."

"Where's Joseph's hair??"

"You have to set it up correctly!!"

I think it's really helpful, actually, to overhear the kids incorporating the Bible into their play--makes it easy to know what they're thinking, or when something needs to be explained better...like the fact that God doesn't have to borrow Gabriel's wings:lol:.

:iagree:

I missed it! Boo!

I remember somebody's blog post from a while ago about her nativity. I don't recall the details, but one of her kids had arranged everybody in a neat line, backs to the observer. She went to change it then thought, actually, that makes sense. Why do we so often portray the visitors and animals facing away from the new baby? Of course they'd all crowd around and want to see!

My daughter likes to arrange all the characters around Jesus in a tight little circle, so they can all be as close as possible. You can't see the baby, but they're all happy!

I'm sorry that I'm missing out on the cute kid story. I would have laughed! If you have some time can you send it to me as well

:iagree:

I have a 2 year old and we have been telling him the Nativity story using the Little People Nativity set. The other day he acted it out with them for his 7 week old sister. Here's how it went down:

"Mary had a baby in her belly, rode this donkey to a farm. Had the baby. Him named Jesus. Animals came to see him!(Most enthusiastic voice ever). Kings too. They brought presents. Here more ANIMALS! This a sheep, this a cow, this a picture of a lost sheep and he needs to find his Daddy. Uh-oh, this sheep sad. Boo hoo hoo."

There is a picture of a lone sheep on one part of our set, not sure why this one is lost or needs his Daddy though.

ETA: OK it's gone. Maybe a moderator can delete this so it doesn't seem more than it was. Oy. I'm sorry.

I feel stupid now. It's not a great story, only a cute story. I felt that maybe the Harry Potter reference or the Ninja could be seen as offensive. Here it is-- don't be too disappointed. lol

"Back story: Some know we are not Christian, and are pretty lefty-agnostic, although we enjoy the Christmas celebration of hope & light in the darkness, and we do respect religion.

Thanks to youngest dd, I have on my mantel a lovely nativity scene of Playmobil characters from various sets. The manger is a house from the Ancient Egypt set. There is a parade of animals, including pigs. ;)There are camels--carrying loads of items (including chickens) in baskets-- so, much more than oils and gold. I think one of the wise men is a Ninja. But he's wearing a turban, so he's in. There is a wise man praying over the baby...with a spell book from a Harry Potter Lego set. She says it's the Torah. "Jesus was Jewish." She means no harm, and I love it. My little heathen is putting the Christ back in our Xmas."

PS I know about the Greek X...more of me not being funny. ;) lol

Edited by LibraryLover

cute! we are Christian and we have no nativity set. so this year, the kids made a little one out of wood. but not before they constructed one from legos. the baby Jesus was wearing bib overalls and there were two wise men who were figures from Pharoah's Quest. there was a constructed cow there but also a police dog from one of the police sets. I thought it was adorable!

I have the funniest story. Absolutely hilarious and absolutely true, but I can't tell anyone because it has the potential to offend three groups of people. Sigh. It is the funniest story I've ever heard.

I have the funniest story. Absolutely hilarious and absolutely true, but I can't tell anyone because it has the potential to offend three groups of people. Sigh. It is the funniest story I've ever heard.

:lol: After that, I've got to know :D If sharing here is absolutely, totally out of the question, then a PM would be lovely :tongue_smilie:.

Best wishes and many thanks in the greatest anticipation.

Cassy

:lol: After that, I've got to know :D If sharing here is absolutely, totally out of the question, then a PM would be lovely :tongue_smilie:.

Best wishes and many thanks in the greatest anticipation.

Cassy

I'll send a PM, but it will be the abreviated version since I'm supposed to be cleaning house.

I feel stupid now. It's not a great story, only a cute story. I felt that maybe the Harry Potter reference or the Ninja could be seen as offensive. Here it is-- don't be too disappointed. lol

"Back story: Some know we are not Christian, and are pretty lefty-agnostic, although we enjoy the Christmas celebration of hope & light in the darkness, and we do respect religion.

Thanks to youngest dd, I have on my mantel a lovely nativity scene of Playmobil characters from various sets. The manger is a house from the Ancient Egypt set. There is a parade of animals, including pigs. ;)There are camels--carrying loads of items (including chickens) in baskets-- so, much more than oils and gold. I think one of the wise men is a Ninja. But he's wearing a turban, so he's in. There is a wise man praying over the baby...with a spell book from a Harry Potter Lego set. She says it's the Torah. "Jesus was Jewish." She means no harm, and I love it. My little heathen is putting the Christ back in our Xmas."

PS I know about the Greek X...more of me not being funny. ;) lol

That's very cute!! How sweet :) I'm really glad you reposted.

(From one family probably very similar to your own ;) )