Menu

Latin memorization

I apologize in advance if this is a really stupid question.

I'm embarking on the journey of learning Latin (seriously, not just for kicks) and, after reading an old thread recently which mentioned, in part, the memorization of declensions and such and, having just learned what a declension is from the first chapter of Henle 1 and looked through the referenced Latin Grammar at the table to which I'm referred when told "memorize the declension for terra" and I'm left wondering ... how? I get how to memorize stuff .. what I mean is .. what should the memorized declension of terra sound like? I figured there was some specific way of attacking this. Can someone please explain?

I recommend starting with Latina Christiana I before Henle. LCI is so gentle and painless, IMO, and you will have work to memorize and recite from the very beginning. By the end, you'll be familiar with several declensions and conjugations, lots of vocabulary, Latin sayings, and some songs and prayers. You'll know exactly what you're doing the whole time, especially if you also get the DVDs.

You can then move seamlessly from LCI to Henle.

I have the declension before me on the page .. my problem is .. well, let's imagine I have a fresh squid in front of me which I must eat and I'm wondering - how does one get this thing down? Where does one start? You're going to need to point and possibly demonstrate ..

I forgot to tell you the declension of terra (which is the first declension):

SINGULAR

terra

terrae

terrae

terram

terra

PLURAL

terrae

terrarum

terris

terras

terris

Here is what it means:

Case Singular Plural

Nominative terra terrae

Genitive terrae terrarum

Dative terrae terris

Accusative terram terras

Ablative terra terris

The cases refer to how the word is used in a sentence, or in context.

I forgot to tell you the declension of terra (which is the first declension):

SINGULAR

terra

terrae

terrae

terram

terra

PLURAL

terrae

terrarum

terris

terras

terris

Here is what it means:

Case Singular Plural

Nominative terra terrae

Genitive terrae terrarum

Dative terrae terris

Accusative terram terras

Ablative terra terris

The cases refer to how the word is used in a sentence, or in context.

So, I am to know the order of the cases but not recite that when reciting the declension? Just the bolded? Do I even recite the "singular" and the "plural" part or do I just know that and only recite the words?

My children recite the words only, first singular than plural. They don't have to name the case or whether sing. or pl. (So it sounds like, "terra, terrae, terrae, terram, terra, terra, terrarum, terris, terras, terris.")

Now, I don't want them to ever forget what it means, so I often have them write out the whole table on the whiteboard (once every other week) or recite the cases also (maybe once per month).

Reciting the cases sounds like, "nominative singular terra, genitive singular terrae, dative singular terrae..."

As they go further I also have them recite how each case functions, and give a sample using the word. Using 'terra,' they would need to explain and demonstrate that the dative is an indirect object and use the word that way.

But don't start with that. Start with memorizing and reciting the first declension, the words only. terra, terrae, terrae, terram, terra, terrae, terrarum, terris, tarras, terris.

You memorize it the way you would memorize a sentence - it is just that, in this case, it is not a 'meaningful' linguistic unit, but a series of words. First you recite all the singular ones - terra, terrae, etc. - and then you recite all the plural ones - terrae, terrarum, etc. You do not say WHAT you are saying (NOT: "terra, nominative singular; terrae, genitive singular, etc."), because it is bothersome, distracting, and time-consuming. The point is to be able to do quick recall of the FORMS, so you are effectively only saying the FORMS, of whichever example you wish (terra is one of those typical examples for the first declension, though you can technically memorize ANY word that follows the pattern).

You memorize it the way you would memorize a sentence - it is just that, in this case, it is not a 'meaningful' linguistic unit, but a series of words. First you recite all the singular ones - terra, terrae, etc. - and then you recite all the plural ones - terrae, terrarum, etc. You do not say WHAT you are saying (NOT: "terra, nominative singular; terrae, genitive singular, etc."), because it is bothersome, distracting, and time-consuming. The point is to be able to do quick recall of the FORMS, so you are effectively only saying the FORMS, of whichever example you wish (terra is one of those typical examples for the first declension, though you can technically memorize ANY word that follows the pattern).

Am I working too hard by having my children occasionally draw a table or recite the cases, then? We're first generation Latin scholars here. I'm afraid of grasping our Latin grammar too lightly lest we fail to internalize concepts for later.

Am I working too hard by having my children occasionally draw a table or recite the cases, then? We're first generation Latin scholars here. I'm afraid of grasping our Latin grammar too lightly lest we fail to internalize concepts for later.

No, why not do this if it helps you? After a certain point, though, I do find that these things are quite internalized because they had encountered them so many times that it simply does not warrant more attention. BUT, if you are still finding it useful, I see no reason why you would stop. :)

Even after the grammar is learned, it is recommended to give a comprehensive grammar test every once in a while - every semester, or maybe even once a year is enough. Simply to make sure they do revise it and sharpen up as necessary, even though by that stage, most of their Latin is active as they are applying the theoretical knowledge on texts.

We're first generation Latin scholars, too. We used Latina Christiana and the "disappearing line technique" to get us started. I do not have my kids recite the cases, but I do give them oral quizzes in which I say "accusative plural of (insert noun here)" or "passive subjunctive genitive plural of (insert verb here)," and they supply the answer. I'm not as quick as they are, so I have to make cheat sheets for myself in advance. ;)

Where can you get those tests for Latin

you mention?

I create my own. It is simply a tool to check up on kids even after they are supposedly "done" with grammar. It includes things like "decline this", "conjugate that in this tense", "do a grammatical analysis of this sentence", "do a syntactic analysis of these sentences", "transform these sentences from singular to plural or vice versa", "explain what is passive periphrastic and provide examples", a question or two on the rules of consecutio temporum, etc. - IOW, all things they supposedly know anyway.

Thank you, Ester Maria. I have so much to learn! My oldest son did very well on his own, and when he found himself out of his depth a Latin scholar of our acquaintance stepped in as mentor and friend.

My other children actually require a teacher, so now I'm doing the work I should have done long ago...

SCCGS, I hope this thread has been helpful!

Thank you, Ester Maria. I have so much to learn! My oldest son did very well on his own, and when he found himself out of his depth a Latin scholar of our acquaintance stepped in as mentor and friend.

My other children actually require a teacher, so now I'm doing the work I should have done long ago...

SCCGS, I hope this thread has been helpful!

It has! :D

So, I am to know the order of the cases but not recite that when reciting the declension? Just the bolded? Do I even recite the "singular" and the "plural" part or do I just know that and only recite the words?

One of the things we do is just the endings, as in "a,ae,ae, am, a -- ae, arum, is, as, is". They're in order and quick for us to run through. Then we work w/ our own exercises to plug in words. We do similar w/ verbs.

If you get in the habit of doing chants like this, before you know it, many of them are second-nature.

:001_smile:

I learned to write out tables for articles and adjective endings as well as verbs when I was learning German.

Now that we're concentrating more on Latin than before, I'm dredging out those skills at tables. It helps me to mentally visualize what I'm saying when I do a chant.

It comes with the worksheets, but you don't have to have them. We just sing the songs and use the songbook.

It didn't come with the worksheets. I see CBD sells them on CD and Issachar Press appears to sell them as a download ... what are they like? Would I do just as well by writing out the charts by myself (without the worksheets)? .. they want another $10 for the worksheets ..

Meanwhile .. THANK-YOU AGAIN for the recommendation! This is helping immensely!!