Menu

Fool proof cookies?

Dd19 needs to make a few dozen cookies to take to her dad's house. She's doing this in lieu of gifts this year because she isn't able to afford gifts. She was thinking of buying premade dough but I told her that cookies that were not regular chocolate chip or sugar would look better, especially since she is bringing them in the spirit of gifts. She says that every time she attempts cookies from scratch, that they don't turn out well.

So, what are some cookies that someone can make that are pretty much fail safe? :D

My first thought was sugar cookies that are then decorated with red & green sprinkles. Maybe we should buy some cookie cutters? She thinks these aren't any different from premade dough.

What about some "nummy balls" (my family's name for these, can't remember where we found the recipe):

2 cups rolled oats

3/4 cup white sugar

3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tbsp water

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2/3 cup butter, softened

Throw the above into a mixer, and mix till gooey. Wash hands, then roll the dough into balls 1 - 2 inches in diameter, then roll in confectioner's sugar until thickly coated (or they will become crusty). Chill 20 minutes before serving.

If she's taking them as gifts, freeze them till it's time to go. Take along extra confectioner's sugar to sprinkle on top before serving.

Impossible to go wrong with these.

ETA: we triple the recipe, as it yields a small amount.

I have never had a problem with Peanut Butter Blossoms. If you roll them in red or green sugar before you bake them, they are really festive. The recipe works exactly as written, and we like to freeze the kisses before we put them in the cookies because they keep their shape better.

This Sugar Cookies recipe is consistent, too. Add an extra 1/2 or 1 c of sugar and double the vanilla, and they taste sooo decadent. They roll out VERY easily once the dough is chilled well, and they keep their shape well.

What about No-Roll-Sugar cookies?

1 Cup Sugar

1 Cup Unsalted Butter

1 tsp vanilla

1 Egg

2 1/3 Cup All Purp Flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter on low speed. Stir in vanilla and egg. Stir in flour and baking soda.

Shape into balls, roll in sugar, place on un-greased baking sheet and flatten with the bottom of a glass. Sprinkle with sprinkles if you want.

Bake at 350F for 10 mins.

Ooh, sounds good! And easy! Dumb question though, where do I find the rolled oats? Is that the plain stuff in the tall Quaker can? (oh gosh, I'm showing my kitchen ignorance here)

Plain old Quaker Oats - the regular ones, not the quick cooking ones.

My family asks for these balls constantly, and they are requested at every gathering by extended family. So easy that 5 year olds can make them, just have them mix them by hand (but I prefer the electric mixer).

Lots of butter, but I tell myself all the cholesterol is countered by the oats! :tongue_smilie:

One more that's really fool proof - Snowball Surprise Cookies -

Beat until fluffy:

3/4 c. butter

1/2 c. sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

Add and beat well:

1 egg

1/2 tsp. vanilla

Add:

1 3/4 c. flour

Shape into balls and add 2-3 chocolate chips to center of balls. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar while still warm.

Excellent ladies! She and a friend are baking together so they were hoping to make at least 4 different kinds of cookies. I don't know what they are so afraid of though! They make awesome cupcakes and decorate them so cute! For a party last night, they did reindeer cupcakes and hooked them together with licorice as the reins. I hope they took a picture! I didn't get to see them.