Menu

I don't understand a Nook for kids - am I missing something?

My mil wanted to buy my boys, 10 and 7, Nooks for Xmas, but we said no. We already struggle keeping their screen time down. We have an iPad, they have a wii and a ps3 (they won the ps3 - I wouldnt have bought it) and their own computer. No way would they want to read books on them, but even if they did, I think they need to be looking at a screen less, not more. I know they'd just want to play games and I think we are pretty covered on that front. And I really don't want them having unsupervised internet access at this age.

Is there something about these for kids that I don't understand? It seems to be a really popular gift for this age range, but I don't get it.

Edited by bnrmom

Hmmm...I'm not sure about the Nook, but I wouldn't really have a problem with the Kindle because other than read and play a few word games, you can't really do a whole lot more. They do have wi-fi or 3G, but IIRC that can be turned off the device manager on the website (this may have changed). The basic Nook seems fairly like the basic Kindle.

As for screen time, it really is like looking at paper. It's weird to be honest. When I first got my Kindle, there was a note on the front about how to set it up. It took me 5 minutes of trying to remove it (and getting very frustrated) to realize that it was actually on the screen and not one of those peel off labels. :blushing:

I don't know how old your boys are, but are they readers? If they are, I don't see the problem as it's not like screen time, but if they aren't readers it seem like kind of a waste of money. Indy is 9 and doesn't read a lot. He likes to read, but the dyslexia makes it difficult, so it wouldn't get much use at our house. MINE practically pants it's used so often, but one for him wouldn't. I suppose it depends on how much your boys read.

I can see that you might not want something your kids can play games on, but in my opinion, dedicated readers don't contribute to my kids' screen time. It's reading time. An eInk screen really is much different from your typical screen.

My son bought himself an Sony Reader 2 years ago with his Christmas and birthday money and has never regretted it. My four-year-old knows he'll get his own reader when he can read himself. I think they can be great gifts for reading kids.

DD(7.5) has a Kindle. It was originally mine, but I got an iPad so I passed the Kindle down to her. She adores it. She reads way above grade level, but higher level books have smaller print and that gives her headaches. With the Kindle, she can adjust the print size. I asked her eye doctor about reading on the Kindle and they don't consider it screen time because the eInk screen is so realistic that it doesnt strain your eyes like reading on an iPad or computer will. Also, she can look up a word on the spot in the dictionary. And she's more likely to because she doesn't have to pull it off the shelf to look up the word. She can check out digital books from our library 24/7 instead of counting on me to take her as soon as she's finished her book or having to wait because the library is closed.

It's been a huge blessing to us. I actually told DS(turns 5 this week) today that I'm planning to get him his own Kindle as soon as he can read. You'd be amazed how many Dr. Suess books are digital now, along with Magic Treehouse, the Boxcar books, etc.

A year ago, I was anti ereaders, but what a difference a year makes! :)

We already struggle keeping their screen time down.

I think when most people say "screen time," it's not literal. I want to limit the mind-numbing fast-paced, brain-altering video gaming screen time, followed by worthless tv.

I tend to be more lenient when he's watching something educational or playing a game with me.

One of my dc has a Kindle. I wish I were interested in one.

It depends whether they mean a Nook or a Nook Color. A Nook Color is a color screen that can be used for games and internet as well as reading. A regular Nook is just like a regular Kindle--just for reading with no color. I wouldn't have any problem with a regular e-reader of any kind. In fact we are buying a regular kindle for dd 6. I would have to think more about one that can also play games, etc.

A friend who has a DD who struggles with reading and is greatly intimidated by thick books. She got her a Kindle and it takes away that intimidation factor. Plus, she doesn't have to feel self-conscious about reading "younger" books because no one can actually see the books she's reading. :)

I agree with the others that I don't consider an e-reader "screen time". It really is like reading a book.

I think what you might be missing is the desire of MIL to purchase something "nice", contemporary, and useful. :grouphug:

:iagree:I'd be sooo happy if MIL wanted to purchase this instead of lots of little pieces of plastic!

ETA: I bought a kindle for DS for Christmas. One of the deciding factors for me is that it will help reduce the amount of space taken up by books. We are starting to need an addition to our home just for books!

If you have the kind that's for books only it's not screen time in any way shape or form. And by the time your kids are have kids, reading paper books is going to be the exception. Just saying. If my kids' grandparents wanted to get them kindles or nooks, I'd be all over that.

My dd is 7 and getting a Nook color for Christmas. I will definitely turn off some of the functions, but I love that she can get library books, books that read to her, and a ton of inexpensive readers on her level. I also love that she has dictionary access and the ability to change font as she needs.

This is so not screen time to me if she is reading.

I can see that you might not want something your kids can play games on, but in my opinion, dedicated readers don't contribute to my kids' screen time. It's reading time. An eInk screen really is much different from your typical screen.

It depends whether they mean a Nook or a Nook Color. A Nook Color is a color screen that can be used for games and internet as well as reading. A regular Nook is just like a regular Kindle--just for reading with no color. I wouldn't have any problem with a regular e-reader of any kind. In fact we are buying a regular kindle for dd 6. I would have to think more about one that can also play games, etc.

:iagree: Using a dedicated ereader (Nook touch, Kindle or Kindle Touch, etc.) is not "screen time". I have a Nook (1.5 years old) and I'm sure that in the next year, we'll either get DD an ereader or pass my Nook down to her.

I have a nook Touch, DS has a first generation Nook....

It isn't screen time - it's a book. Mine has no games, and no internet except to buy books off the B&N website.

DS's only has Chess and Sodoku - and it is kinda a pain to play - he just uses the Nook to read.

They have e-ink screens that are not like a computer at all.

As long as your Mil doesn't get the Nook Color or the Kindle Fire - those are more like I-Pads - this is just a book that can be hundreds of books.

:iagree: I told my mom I didn't want her to buy my ds a Nook Color or a Kindle Fire. Those are tablets. She is more than welcome to buy an e-reader....the regular Nook or Kindle. So she bought him the Kindle Touch. No games or internet. He'll love it.

As for screen time, it really is like looking at paper. It's weird to be honest. When I first got my Kindle, there was a note on the front about how to set it up. It took me 5 minutes of trying to remove it (and getting very frustrated) to realize that it was actually on the screen and not one of those peel off labels. :blushing:

I did the same exact thing! Wasn't that weird? When I couldn't get it off, my DH tried! :lol:

I do not see an ereader as screen time. Whether I'm reading a book on paper or on the screen, my brain is using the same skills either way. I have seen games on my Kindle but they were really cumbersome and stupid. I do not know anything about the super new ereaders they have but a plain ole kindle or nook for book reading just isn't the same thing as watching tv or playing video games, IMHO.

She mentioned them being able to play games and apps, so I think she was referring to a color one. My kids like to read, but not that much. I still think a screen is a screen, but I count educational games and shows the same as others, so maybe that's my hangup. I guess I would rather they get the dictionary down, and I personally prefer holding a book. I don't know, maybe when they are a little older. They have no interest in ebooks on the iPad, so I just don't see them using it much right now.

Instead she got the 10yo a chess set and a telescope, and monopoly and an air hockey game for the 7th so there's not too much plastic junk.

She mentioned them being able to play games and apps, so I think she was referring to a color one. My kids like to read, but not that much. I still think a screen is a screen, but I count educational games and shows the same as others, so maybe that's my hangup. I guess I would rather they get the dictionary down, and I personally prefer holding a book. I don't know, maybe when they are a little older. They have no interest in ebooks on the iPad, so I just don't see them using it much right now.

Instead she got the 10yo a chess set and a telescope, and monopoly and an air hockey game for the 7th so there's not too much plastic junk.

My dd has been asking for a nook for over 2 years. She is a voracious reader and I have seriously thought about getting one. My plan would be to load it up with classics so she has something for the times (weekly) that she runs out of library books. She has read a few on my iPad, so she gets the idea. I think the draw for me is having a virtually unlimited amount fo books available at any time. We talked about it again this morning and I think she has a new plan to save her money for a kindle. :D

Re the part I bolded, can I ask why?

The reasons I have most often heard for limiting screen time (and we do limit screen time here, too) are content-based reasons and eye-strain reasons. Neither of those apply to reading books on a device that uses e-ink technology.

A screen is a screen, but if all it displays is text does it really count? A regular Nook only displays books in a very nice e-ink format. You can store a LOT of them on there and there are many that you can get for free. Depending on your library system you can even borrow books on it, which is incredibly convenient. It's really lightweight and I loved it when I tried it (got my brother one for his birthday earlier this year).

Maybe for next year you could recommend getting a regular Nook rather than a color? It's less expensive and easier on the eyes. No games, apps, videos, just text. Maybe even just get one they can share, if for no other reason than the easy access to classics for school and such.

Just my thoughts, but then I am a gadget freak.

It's less about the eye fatigue and more about time spent on electronics in general. I just feel like we're being crowded in on more and more with electronics, and I know a lot of things are headed that way permanently, but it seems like reading books is such an easy thing to NOT do electronically that I don't want to add it to their lives if I don't need to. Plus it's just another thing we have to charge, worry about losing or breaking, and carry around with us.

I guess if my kids were voracious readers and were going through several novels a week I might have a different take on it, but there is so much we all love about the tactile experience of books that I just don't see a big benefit.

I love picking out a pile of books and surrounding ourselves. I love the sound of turning pages, and the feel of the paper. I love seeing my kids on their bed with 6 different books - a novel, cartoons, non fiction selections - and jumping back and forth, making connections between it all. We like browsing through a library or a bookstore. I love that I have passed on some of my childhood favorites to my kids and get a real kick out seeing them sitting on their shelf.

There's something depersonalized about the reading experience for me on an ebook. My sister has a Kindle and I think it's neat how you can highlight a passage or look something up on the fly, so I would have absolutely loved it for academic reading in high school or college. Having textbooks on it would be fantastic! But I really don't like it for pleasure reading.

Anyhow, I guess I could see the benefit for some, I just don't think it's for us right now.

:iagree:I'd be sooo happy if MIL wanted to purchase this instead of lots of little pieces of plastic!

ETA: I bought a kindle for DS for Christmas. One of the deciding factors for me is that it will help reduce the amount of space taken up by books. We are starting to need an addition to our home just for books!

This is why we bought ours. We haven't bought one for our children, but I'd be happy for them to receive one as a gift - the e-ink one, not the colour+games type of one.

It's less about the eye fatigue and more about time spent on electronics in general. I just feel like we're being crowded in on more and more with electronics, and I know a lot of things are headed that way permanently, but it seems like reading books is such an easy thing to NOT do electronically that I don't want to add it to their lives if I don't need to. Plus it's just another thing we have to charge, worry about losing or breaking, and carry around with us.

I guess if my kids were voracious readers and were going through several novels a week I might have a different take on it, but there is so much we all love about the tactile experience of books that I just don't see a big benefit.

I love picking out a pile of books and surrounding ourselves. I love the sound of turning pages, and the feel of the paper. I love seeing my kids on their bed with 6 different books - a novel, cartoons, non fiction selections - and jumping back and forth, making connections between it all. We like browsing through a library or a bookstore. I love that I have passed on some of my childhood favorites to my kids and get a real kick out seeing them sitting on their shelf.

There's something depersonalized about the reading experience for me on an ebook. My sister has a Kindle and I think it's neat how you can highlight a passage or look something up on the fly, so I would have absolutely loved it for academic reading in high school or college. Having textbooks on it would be fantastic! But I really don't like it for pleasure reading.

Anyhow, I guess I could see the benefit for some, I just don't think it's for us right now.

I get that, I'm sure the kindle will never replace books in this house. We have a kindle and my DD still goes through numerous real books a week - and we're more than happy to get books for her to do that. But it really is handy, and I really love reading on it more than I thought I would.

MIL wanted to buy ds (9) a Nook for Christmas and I thought it was a wonderful idea!

I was able to find a friend who was selling her never-used Nook (one of the orginal, black and white versions) for a really reasonable price and MIL bought it for ds.

Ds is a voracious reader and does much of his reading in the car, many times at night. He'll usually flip on the back seat light in the car, but my mom keeps reminding me that it's illegal to drive with the light on in the car ;). The Nook came with a nice case and book like so he can read in the car at night without issue.

I'm thinking it will also be nice for when we go to all day events, such as chess tournaments. I can load up a book and so can ds and we can share the Nook as opposed to bringing a bag-ful of books with us.

If it's just a plain old, black and white, e-ink book reader I don't see the issue and really have a hard time counting it as "screen time".

While I see your point about maintenance, it is not always true that reading a book is an easy thing to do. I have many out of print books on my Nook that would be so much more difficult to find in book form.

They can still do this even with an e reader of some sort.

I don't remember seeing the ages of your children. If they are in the easy reader or early chapter book stage, then definitely a printed book you can hold is a much nicer experience. But, once they get to the age of reading chapter books with very few pictures a Nook or Kindle is a very practical way of carrying around a whole lot of books in very little space. It is so much easier to carry around than the stack of books we used to take on car rides and allows them to read their school assignments wherever we go. And, there are a whole lot of free or inexpensive vintage books available to use for school as well as pleasure. A Nook or Kindle makes finding and owning those books possible and much more affordable.

I don't really understand (maybe b/c I'm tired) how you can say your kids really aren't readers and then say you love seeing them surrounded by books. Also, it is possible to do both. There are books I have to own in print--like the ones you mention passing down to your children. I mean, how can anyone advocate Beatrix Potter on an e reader? I absolutely love having access to works that I once had to search the net for hours to find used.

You could look at it as an investment for the future. Of course, if your children are still quite young and not going to be reading a lot of longer books without illustrations for a few years, it may be wiser to ask MIL to hold off until then so they have something more up to date. I'm sure the technology will be different by then.

I feel the same way about being crowded by electronics. I hate my kids having screen time for computer games and so they have a very limited amount (which I contemplate doing away with and may do so in the very near future). We have zero gaming devices in our home and never will, so they are limited to what they can play on our pc (when it's available). I'd much rather see them reading quality literature (and a little fluff for relaxation) on a Nook or Kindle than playing any kind of computer game.

I didn't think I'd be in favor of the e readers, but I have decided their positives outweigh their negatives. However, that may not be true for your family.

I get this. I don't think I'd even consider it if dd didn't go through books so quickly. She gets ~20 books almost every Monday and is done by Thursday. I am thinking of it as a back up and to take on trips or to all day events instead of lugging a stack of books. I read on my iPad and it will not replace real books at our house any time soon; it would only be an addition.