Menu

TWTM and ADHD

Guest picketfence

Guest picketfence

First, let me introduce myself...

I'm homeschooling my sons, grades 4 and 2. I also have a 4 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. We've been following the plan of The Well-Trained Mind, and will be adding Classical Conversations in January.

My oldest son is pretty independent and a very quick, natural learner. He loves to read and is fairly self-motivated (except when he's not ;) ). TWTM has worked beautifully for his particular learning style, but I don't know if I ought to mix things up a bit for my second son who was recently diagnosed ADHD. He'll be starting medication soon (probably Concerta), which I hope will help with some of his excessive energy and impulsivity. He has been rather difficult to teach this fall, and now that we have an official diagnosis and are formulating a treatment plan, I'm just wondering...

What does homeschooling an ADHD child look like? What have other parents found beneficial and effective in terms of curriculum, schedule, environment, etc.? I'd like to continue with TWTM, especially since after 3.5 years of it, I feel like I might actually sort of know what we're doing!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

My oldest is ADHD and we use TWTM. When he was younger, he needed much smaller chunks of time interspersed with periods of intense activity. He needs that less now (older and medicated).

Learning type will also play a role. My son likes to have things read to him, even though he is a good learner. I read a lot of living books to him on all topics. He has a very good memory when he is focusing and engaged.

I don't think every ADHD will look alike. In addition to that piece of the personality, you have learning styles, personality traits, differing levels of interest in different topics. :)

Re impulsivity, my son has had the best results so far with his psychiatrist in learning to play chess and other long-term strategy games. As I understand his point, it is that thinking "several moves ahead" needs to become more ingrained over time, and does not come naturally for the impulsive child.

Guest picketfence

Thanks for the replies. We're on day two of Concerta, and I've noticed a difference already. He just seems more "connected" to the people and activities around him - and more interested in things he didn't give two hoots about before. There are subtle changes in his behavior that make all the difference in how the day goes. I'm feeling better about the coming months and years of home education - like I might not have to refigure all of our curriculum, after all.

He does like to play chess. That might be a very easy "therapy" to incorporate into our schedule!

Oh, and my son prefers me reading to him, too. He reads well above grade level and does well on comprehension quizzes (bookadventure.com), but if I ask him to read aloud, even something simple... It's not pretty.

Thanks again!

Exercise is also very helpful. He needs to be getting some daily.

One of the hardest things for my sons in elementary public school (including the one who doesn't have ADHD) was sitting for long periods of time with only a tiny recess. In their minds, one of the worst things that could happen at school was not having recess; it was the only time they could move around.