Menu

Supplement RS?

BrettW

I'm currently using RightStart Math for both of my kids. My dd10 is finishing level E and my ds8 in in Level C. I love, love RS.... the issue is that I really feel that the one area that we're missing is word problems. I feel that RS doesn't offer enough practice in this area. My dd is great solving equations, but add words to the mix and she seems to have no idea where to begin! Yikes! I don't want my science/math-oriented ds to feel the same way two years from now. So...I want to supplement for both of them. Does anyone have any suggestions for a supplement for word problems? Singapore? Something else? Thanks,

Brett

All four of my ds have used or are using RS. I start them with Challenging Word Problems 2 (from Singapore) when they start Lev. C. in second grade. I don't try to get through each CWP level in the year. My one ds is half-way through Lev. D but has been working on CWP 2 since last year. I also have them work on a problem or two weekdays during summer break. I don't know the sequence of the newer CWP, but Singapore introduces some concepts before RS so they may have problems requiring multiplication or division when they have not officially learned it yet. Depending on the student I either teach them it on the fly or skip the problem. I usually require a problem or two per day during the school year.