Menu

do you believe mutliple personality is real

I really do not understand the bolded. You have one liver, one set of kidneys, one central nervous system, one body where the med is metabolized. I don't understand how what you stated above can happen. Is there a scientific explanation?

Yeah, im confused about that too. How does this happen?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or rather, mind is matter? Our personalities and emotions are guided by chemical processes. Why shouldn't those processes have an effect on other ways our body functions like metabolizing drugs? I don't find it surprising that someone with this disorder would find drugs affect her differently depending on which personality is at the forefront or that drugs might affect even me different depending on my mood, stress levels, etc.

Or rather, mind is matter? Our personalities and emotions are guided by chemical processes. Why shouldn't those processes have an effect on other ways our body functions like metabolizing drugs? I don't find it surprising that someone with this disorder would find drugs affect her differently depending on which personality is at the forefront or that drugs might affect even me different depending on my mood, stress levels, etc.

This is what it can be like for me.

Also with pain, I can usually not let a physically painful event 'bug' me because it has happened or is happening to someone else.

As a kid I thought everyone was like this.

I know one lady with DID and another one without an official diagnosis as far as I know. The lady with the actual diagnosis is not very obvious at all. Both ladies had very difficult childhoods, but I do not know details.

The second lady I had known for quite awhile and had worked with her at church. I had definitely seen different aspects of her personality, but I had not considered DID, until one incident. One night she was a leader with lots of ideas and a go getter attitude (She wasn't usually such a take charge type of person though I had seen that aspect of her before.) and the next day did not remember what she was supposed to do and had only the vaguest idea that we had talked. (She had actually come over to my house.) Once I realized what was going on, I just treated her like she needed at the moment, which was a lot of hand holding and gentle bossing around to get the job done that we had come to do. We never talked about it, but I had a lot more compassion for her after that. I had been frustrated by her confidence and then lack of confidence before, but it started to make a lot more sense in the light of DID. She wasn't a person full of drama or anything, just sort of frustrating with the differences before I understood.

One thing that I have learned through looking at my own ability to dissociate in different areas (and I DO believe that some people are more naturally inclined to dissociate emotionally, which is why some who experienced extreme childhood trauma dissociate enough for the DID diagnosis and some don't.) and learning about DID and watching still others with PTSD, is that it is a wise idea to treat people in the present. I mean, so often when we deal with people we get frustrated because we want a person to respond how we have seen them respond in the past or as we think they are capable of responding. This isn't a shocking revelation or anything, but it keeps me from getting frustrated. I can let the past go and deal with the present with a better attitude.

Our minds are amazingly complex and wonderful things.

Just to share, I do "believe in" dissociative disorder. I don't "believe in" ritual satanic abuse.

http://www.stopbadtherapy.com/myths/sra.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_ritual_abuse

I used to foo- foo it, too, and not believe. But I now know someone who suffered through their whole childhood, and the person she now lives with, who is as stable as the seasons, saw it too, ripped her out of where she was and gave her a safe place to live.

It's kinda like when very stable people say they saw a ghost. I decided to trust the 99% of this person's totally stable life, and believe the 1% that I had a question about, based on that 99%. In doing so, I choose to believe what she said she saw happen to our friend.

Yes, I believe it's real and yes, I have a dear friend who has it. She suffered such ongoing trauma as a child, it was her only way to make it out alive.

I know a young woman who endured unspeakable horrors as a child and young adult who has it as well. I've "met" some of her alternate personas. I've seen her "switch." Some personas know me and some don't. Some know each other and some don't. Some have more control over the others and some less. But it is all real.

This is a true mental condition that arose as a means to survive the treatment she received. Her brain just did it; she didn't contrive it, didn't figure out a way to make it happen. It just did.

I suppose there are fakers out there.

Guest submarines
I used to foo- foo it, too, and not believe. But I now know someone who suffered through their whole childhood, and the person she now lives with, who is as stable as the seasons, saw it too, ripped her out of where she was and gave her a safe place to live.

It's kinda like when very stable people say they saw a ghost. I decided to trust the 99% of this person's totally stable life, and believe the 1% that I had a question about, based on that 99%. In doing so, I choose to believe what she said she saw happen to our friend.

Do you believe it is as widespread as it is claimed, or that isolated incidents, perpetuate by an isolated family / group might happen?

I have no doubt that horrific, SRA-resembling abuse might be happening in some families, and that it can be hidden for decades if not forever. I don't believe in secrete organisations with hundreds and thousands of tortured children.

I certainly horrific abuse occurs. It can be ritualistic/cultish in nature. I don't believe organized groups of adults are perpetrating it (although I believe that some conservative, Pearl-advocating churches have ritualistic, cultish child abuse patterns.)

I don't believe in ritualistic, satanic abuse. The numbers don't add up, and functionally, it's impractical to say the least. I think that even "Satanic Cult" is urban legend and cultural myth for the most part.

Another link.

I certainly horrific abuse occurs. It can be ritualistic/cultish in nature. I don't believe organized groups of adults are perpetrating it (although I believe that some conservative, Pearl-advocating churches have ritualistic, cultish child abuse patterns.)

I don't believe in ritualistic, satanic abuse. The numbers don't add up, and functionally, it's impractical to say the least. I think that even "Satanic Cult" is urban legend and cultural myth for the most part.

Another link.

Ya' might shouldn't've gone there, Joanne.