Menu

Downton Abbey on PBS tonight

OK so I keep hearing about this show. What's it about? I'm thinking the all-things British drama lover in me is missing something.

Donna, if you love British period dramas I think you would enjoy Downton Abbey. Here's a link to the wikipedia article about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downton_Abbey

They're showing the first two episodes of season one on PBS Masterpiece tonight.

They showed a preview of the next season just before the show started; it looks really interesting.

I loved the first season, but honestly?? I was totally disappointed when we realized it wasn't ending with just one season. I do not want a soap opera. So, I'm cautiously looking forward to the 2nd season.

Watch an episode and see. :)

Well, see, that's the obvious answer. However -- the last time I got addicted to a TV series, I ended up analyzing, questioning, speculating, hypothesizing, theorizing. I got attached. And ya know what? It was a great ride...until the last 15 minutes of the final episode.

waste. of. my. life.

Anybody know what I'm talking about here??

Well, see, that's the obvious answer. However -- the last time I got addicted to a TV series, I ended up analyzing, questioning, speculating, hypothesizing, theorizing. I got attached. And ya know what? It was a great ride...until the last 15 minutes of the final episode.

waste. of. my. life.

This isn't LOST. Though I'm all about British period pieces, I was very reluctant to watch Downton Abbey. Even after it won all those Emmys. Then I thought I'd check out what the hype was all about and I simply loved it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, but as I've yet to see season 2, don't hold me to it.

waste. of. my. life.

I loved Lost and hated the last episode too, but that's irrelevant. Downton Abbey is not the same kind of show at all.

I'm just watching season 2 with dh, who gave it to me as a gift for our anniversary. By "just watching" I do actually mean right now, but the water has run out, the kids can't fix it, the electricity is about to go,... that's part of living in Central Asia.

My point is that season 2 keeps moving as fast as season one and doesn't get bogged down.

He's giving up on the water, so I'll see who makes it through the war,....

I loved the first season, but honestly?? I was totally disappointed when we realized it wasn't ending with just one season. I do not want a soap opera. So, I'm cautiously looking forward to the 2nd season.
'

I had to chuckle when I read this. I just finished the third episode last night and concluded it was a British period soap opera with really high caliber actors.

Of course I'll keep watching anyway.

What a nice gift:001_smile:.

Did things settle down enough for you to finish watching it?

I'm just watching season 2 with dh, who gave it to me as a gift for our anniversary. By "just watching" I do actually mean right now, but the water has run out, the kids can't fix it, the electricity is about to go,... that's part of living in Central Asia.

My point is that season 2 keeps moving as fast as season one and doesn't get bogged down.

He's giving up on the water, so I'll see who makes it through the war,....

We hear you...but this one feels worth it.

waste. of. my. life.

We hear you...but this one feels worth it.

Thank you for understanding :grouphug: LOL

The point I was making wasn't that they are similar shows in the slightest! They are obviously VERY different. My point was that I get SUCKED IN and don't want to spend my life on something that is going to break my heart in the end ;)

I caught the last 3 seconds of an episode last night. I was hooked as soon as I saw Minerva McGonigall :tongue_smilie:

The cast is pretty amazing.

Thank you for understanding :grouphug: LOL

The point I was making wasn't that they are similar shows in the slightest! They are obviously VERY different. My point was that I get SUCKED IN and don't want to spend my life on something that is going to break my heart in the end ;)

I caught the last 3 seconds of an episode last night. I was hooked as soon as I saw Minerva McGonigall :tongue_smilie: