Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - week fifty one

I finished #49 The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley. Mysteries have never been a favorite genre, maybe because I'm such a weenie and get spooked easily. However, I do enjoy the precocious Flavia. :001_smile:

I have a children's book I found at the thrift store that I want to read next. I've frequently heard it mentioned here. I'm hoping that The Eyre Affair gets here before Christmas. I won't have any time to read from Friday till Tuesday. Only three books to go, though!

@eaglei and laughing lioness:

Came across this today. Now I want to read it again.

“For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die.”

― Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

“For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die.â€

Robin- yes. I quoted something very simliar on my blog review of her book. Bird by Bird is like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence for writers ;). She does capture beautifully the importance of the written word.

“For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die.â€

Robin - How beautifully stated! And how true. I am definitely requesting this book from my library!

#50: Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon (Cole)

Me too! #50, I mean. Good luck on getting to #52!

My #50: Adam Resurrected by Yoram Kaniuk. I came across the (Israeli) author in the news when he petioned the Israeli government to have his religious status changed from "Jewish" to "No religion", and subsequently began to read Adam Resurrected. I can't possibly do it justice in a review. In short, it's the fictional story of Holocaust survivors in a psychiatric hospital in the early 1960s. It veers between the farcical (life in the hospital) and the tragic (the stories of the survivors). The main character, Adam, is a highly educated and intelligent man who owned a circus in Germany before WWII. Adam is allowed to live in order to distract and entertain other Jews as they head to the gas chambers. He lives out the war as the pet dog of the camp commander. Years later, in Israel, he struggles to come to terms with his past. Adam is not a likeable character. He is arrogant, manipulative and often cruel, yet the reader is drawn to him and views him with empathy.

Alternately more brilliant than the doctors and more insane than any of the patients, Adam struggles wildly to make sense of a world in which the line has been irreversibly blurred between sanity and madness. With the biting irony of Catch-22, the intellectual vigor of Saul Bellow, and the pathos and humanity that are Kaniuk's hallmarks, Adam Resurrected offers a vision of a modern hell that devastates even as it inches toward redemption.

Highly recommended.

And now just two "fun reads" to see me through to the end of the year!

Originally Posted by Mytwoblessings

Originally posted by eaglei

Robin - How beautifully stated! And how true. I am definitely requesting this book from my library!

I requested this book from the library yesterday. Now it is waiting time for how long it takes to get here.

You know what. I think we ought to have links to our book wishlists on Amazon or Barnes and Noble and if folks like me want to buy something for someone off their wishlist, we can. For Birthday's and just becauses.

Edited by Mytwoblessings