Menu

Is is bad that...

No, I have a relative like that. Families are important, but I have thought for years that if someone is over the line AND is a family member, why is that an automatic pass? It means that we are stuck with someone who is awful and can ruin every occasion for the rest of our lives just because they are family. ICK.

Nope. Not bad at all. I refuse to invite my sister's boyfirend/possible future fiancee to my house because the last time he was here he broke up with my sister, lied to everyone about every little thing, and (by far the most serious offense) kept drinking all my rum without my permission. Oh, and he tried to smoke the ditch weed growing wild on our property.

For me, the whole meaning of Christmas is lost when I have to deal with idiots.

No. Whether you do it or not completely depends on the family dynamic and what the goal for doing so might be. But not wanting to spend the day with someone you can't stand seems perfectly normal.

Disclaimer: I fail to accept that I have to put up with toxic, obnoxious, abrasive, rude behavior from people because they're family. Evidently, that is not a popular position. (In such cases, I'm perfectly happy being unpopular, though)

No. Whether you do it or not completely depends on the family dynamic and what the goal for doing so might be. But not wanting to spend the day with someone you can't stand seems perfectly normal.

Disclaimer: I fail to accept that I have to put up with toxic, obnoxious, abrasive, rude behavior from people because they're family. Evidently, that is not a popular position. (In such cases, I'm perfectly happy being unpopular, though)

:iagree:completely! This is why I am currently not on speaking terms with my mother and cancelled our Christmas plans to be near her.

For 18 years, I've kept my mouth shut when I'm around him just to keep the peace. I lost it at Thanksgiving right as we were sitting down to eat and finally gave him a piece of my mind. Maybe it's because I recently turned 40, maybe it's because Thanksgiving was the one year anniversary of my dad's death, or maybe it's because he was being exceptionally rude, but I told him he needed to be quiet and stop being so selfish and rude to his mother.

My husband has finally said he's done trying to have any semblance of a relationship with him and their dad has even said that he can barely stand to be around him.

For 18 years, I've kept my mouth shut when I'm around him just to keep the peace. I lost it at Thanksgiving right as we were sitting down to eat and finally gave him a piece of my mind. Maybe it's because I recently turned 40, maybe it's because Thanksgiving was the one year anniversary of my dad's death, or maybe it's because he was being exceptionally rude, but I told him he needed to be quiet and stop being so selfish and rude to his mother.

My husband has finally said he's done trying to have any semblance of a relationship with him and their dad has even said that he can barely stand to be around him.

:grouphug: Life is too short to deal with crazy people.

:iagree:completely! This is why I am currently not on speaking terms with my mother and cancelled our Christmas plans to be near her.

That would be the exact situation that caused me to stipulate to my husband that I would not put up with behavior from a family member that I would absolutely not tolerate from any other person.

OKM - it seems you would be protecting the rest of the family's holiday joy by allowing him to make his own celebration elsewhere. That, or you can arm everyone else with their own box of wine and holiday themed taser. :)

:iagree: I had to learn this though. And it was me not giving in and driving 11 eleven hours (round trip on horrible roads) to the nut house.

My goal is to have a peaceful Christmas filled with people we love.

Edited by Tammyla

Yes, turning 40 was freeing for me and I realized about that time that life is too short to put up with people like that. Maybe just nipping it in the bud the first time he says something obnoxious will give him a clue that it won't be tolerated?

We are not going to Florida this year, and it will be the first time in years I feel like I will enjoy Christmas.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:to all the above. Dh and I made the choice years ago not to be with my sister and her family on holidays. It's been peaceful and joyful ever since. It saddened my parents so much (they had Christmas Eve with my family, Christmas Day with hers) but we never again had an argument on Christmas. In fact, once sister was cut out of my life entirely, my parents and I never really argued again. It was the best thing that could have happened to our relationship.

Sad but true.

:iagree: The more over 40 I get, the more direct I get. The less willing I am to put up with crap. And the less I worry what anyone thinks. Maybe it's because life is getting shorter. ;)

Maybe we're all just getting a little senile and our filters are slipping like you see in very elderly people. (I've often wondered if half the people called "senile" just simply don't give a rat's behind whether people like what they say, or care enough to remember extraneous information... Because I feel like that fairly often myself.)

Dh's brother was difficult, he ranged between creepy and scary and he'd stay all night at my house at thanksgiving.

if you are inviting the rest of your dh's family, you really should include him as part of the family. (and I know how unpleasant than can be.) your dh's family knows what this person is like - it's not like you are having to inflict him on your defenseless friends.

if you are only inviting selected people, you have more leeway.

All I can say is "Good for you for speaking up!" While I usually support diffusing tense situations, keeping the peace and being a gracious host, it sounds like this man had it coming. If you do end up inviting him, let him know that he is only welcome if he can be on his best behavior. If not, he would be doing you all a favor if he found someplace else to be.