Menu

San Francisco vacation ideas needed

Muir Woods is beautiful, I think it's definitely worth a visit.

Also, you might like to visit the Exploratorium, the California Academy of Sciences, the de Young Museum, and the Legion of Honor.

My younger two boys (8 and 12) think Alcatraz is really interesting too. The ferry ride out there is fun too (although it can be pretty chilly in March).

Enjoy your trip!

Yes, go to Muir Woods. It is close, and you won't even need a full day there. It is beautiful and worth seeing.

Near Muir Woods is a great beach with surfing, should your dc want to walk the beach and watch surfers. I don't recommend them getting in the water in March because it will be quite cold and surf may be very high, but it is still nice for walking.

Consider a tour of Alcatraz, but get your tickets soon because they often sell out. It is interesting, and you get the ferry ride there and back as well. Being in the bay gives you a different view of the city.

yes, definitely make time for Muir Woods. If you have time, Napa or Carmel are also beautiful places.

I used to love The Cliff House when I lived out there but I'm sure it's changed ownership since I last went. It's a beautiful restaurant built over a cliff. It's so nice to sit and watch the seals play in the water below, but they're not always there.

• 3 months later...

I'm reviving this somewhat old thread because I just found out we might have the opportunity to go to San Fran in early April. I'm wondering if the OP has done her trip yet, and if so, what she found memorable and what she wished she'd skipped. Crouse, I do have much younger kids, almost 8 and almost 3, both boys.

Alcatraz sounds fun, if we can get tix, but since this is still a "maybe" trip, I can't pre-order. Muir woods was already on my list, and maybe the beach. The harbor, does it still have the sea lions? I haven't been for almost 12 years. Wow, that seems like an age ago!

Mama_Rana,

I suggest you consider visiting the Exploratorium and Zeum. Both are fun, hands on places both your sons may enjoy.

There should be some sea lions at Pier 39 year round, but we usually see more during the summer months. Look here for live webcam: http://www.pier39.com/SeaLion/sea_lion_webcam.htm

Your sons may enjoy touring the submarine at Fisherman's Wharf. How many times do you get to go into a submarine? http://www.maritime.org/pamphome.htm