Menu

Christmas in a hotel room, how to make this special?

DH's father is dying of liver cancer. We decided months ago we would go to see dh's parents for Christmas; dh's brother, sil, and two nephews also live in the same city so we will be seeing them also.

We will have to stay in a hotel for various reasons, we have a big family, FIL can't handle the noise and their house is very tiny. I know that we are doing the right thing but I am not looking forward to spending Christmas in a hotel room. We tried two years ago to bring all of our presents, stockings, ect and have our Christmas down there too but it was too stressful.

There won't be a nice Christmas breakfast, no stockings, no big Christmas dinner and no presents that day. We will only be able to have the little boys there for an hour or so and then it's back to the hotel for me and them. DH will spend most of the day with them, my older boys will go to brother's house and older girls will do what ever they want.

I need ideas to make this special. Should I just bring the stockings? That would be easy I guess. But, what else can I do to make this special for my kids since we will literally be stuck in a hotel for most of the day that day? I know the "true" meaning of Christmas is not about getting and I believe that I can do something this day to show my kids that Christmas is about sharing it with those you love. I just need some ideas to make this happen.

I just had surgery yesterday and I won't be able to do much baking and such before we leave, but I have a 16yr dd who loves to bake. This could be our last Christmas with dh's father and it makes me sad and our time there will be very emotional. I want this to be fun, a blessing to dh's parents, and a time they won't forget.

Why no presents at the hotel? That would be a biggie for me. If you can bring the stockings and presents, then the kids can play with their new stuff while at the hotel.

Will there be room service? That would be cool. And if there's a pool--wow! That would be a lifesaver.

Jesus was away from home for Christmas too!

You are spending Christmas with family, the rest is just location.

Bring a small tree, a few presents and let the rest just happen as it happens. Love is all you really need.

I am sorry that this is a sad time, try to make it a loving time as well.

I will honestly be thinking of you and hoping you have a good visit.

Lara

Whole bunch of Christmas DVD's and a dvd player (can hook up to the hotel tv's)

Microwave popcorn (can cook at the hotel lobby or room)-- you can request a microwave.

Hot coco mix (use the coffee maker)

One stocking for each person with little things to keep them busy (dice games, jacks and ball, inflatable beach ball, etc...)

Christmas music to listen to.

Stop at a grocery store on the way to the hotel and pick up plain sugar cookies and icing/sprinkles. Everyone can decorate cookies as they come/go.

my son suggested taking a piece of wrapping paper (folded in luggage), some bows and decorate your hotel door. OOOH-- could make it a "christmas tree" and challenge each person to make an ornament. LOL Could be funny.

He also suggested buying a few games for people to play. Would take people's minds off the situation, and is a good time-burner.

What my SIL does when travel- Santa leaves a note for the family telling them how he knows they can't have the presents right now but not to worry. He has put them at the family's home. Mom has instructions on where they are so when they get home, they can have them.

SIL brings stockings and a travel tree. She also brings one small present for the kids to have with the letter. Think like those small lego boxes and stuff. The kids don't get bored and have something to play with.

Maybe you could get one of the small fake trees for the room. You could leave it for the staff when you go or take it home with you. Do you have a nice bakery that you could pick up some christmas goodies?

Does the room have a kitchenette? If so, I would say an hour or so in the pool and then back to the room for hot chocolate, popcorn and some card or board games, or maybe charades...for some reason my dc go nuts for charades.

I know your dc are tween, teen ages but would they get a kick out of assembling one of those gingerbread house kits? OR...oh, I just thought of this and my dc would love it...could you afford to get each dc a gingerbread kit and then have a contest to see whose is the best? I'm thinking like that annual gingerbread house competition I saw on the food network last time we had cable. You could even give out "best use of icing" or "most creative use of material" type awards just for fun.

Whatever you do I'm sure your dc will remember the year that they sacrificed Christmas at home to be close to family at a very difficult time. What a wonderful gift they are giving to your dh and his father.:grouphug:

Have you tried finding a rental instead of a hotel,

I have used this site many times. We are going to Disney in February and I just find a house with 4 bedrooms & 3 bathrooms for $600 for the entire week. You could cook, do presents, etc and make it a home away from home. It generally works out less expensive for is than a hotel.

http://www.homeaway.com/

You know, I don't think I would do anything other than do something. It is what it is, you know? the kids will understand that you can't open a bag and out springs "Christmas". So I agree with the other poster who said postpone it.

Bring the stockings, eat a great breakfast, go to the pool, visit your FIL, hit a Chinese buffet (watch A Christmas Story!) and talk about what you'll do when you get home.

itsheresomewhere also has some great ideas.

First of all, I think it is wonderful what you are doing. :grouphug:

We arrived at our current duty station on Christmas day. We had shipped presents to the hotel. A friend had set up a small Charlie Brown fake tree and another friend had easy food in the mini-fridge. (Hello, Lisa? You know who you are.:D)

That Christmas is such a great family memory. We ate pigs in a blanket and PB&J for Cmas dinner. We still talk about it. No harm, all smiles.

I would really stress the importance of what you are doing. Thankfulness for a room, a simple meal, time with family while your FIL ends his time on this planet. They may not understand it now, but they will treasure the memory!

How about a ipod/iphone docking station with Cmas tunes?

A small Cmas light up accessorry? My dh just boung LED reindeer lights for our daughters' room and they were small and inexpensive.

Laugh a lot!

Take a lot of photos to remember "that one Christmas we stayed in the hotel."

You are doing the right thing. The message is huge.

Merry Christmas

:( Sorry about FIL.

We were in the hospital for Christmas two years ago, so we get it. ;) Bring a small tree, make paper chains, bring cookies, and bring one or two presents for the kids. There is a Christmas parade on tv on Christmas day that you can watch in the morning. Use the coffee pot to heat water for hot chocolate and if you can find a craft store to get some fun stuff to do that should keep them busy. If they are getting games for Christmas, being those to open and play those. Most of all remain positive and show them how to make the best of it. That is by far the hardest part.

Our best Christmases are spent at home all day! Opening presents way too early, attempting to pry them out of their packaging, the clean up, the crash naps, then enjoying our presents and eating a good dinner. Why not bring the stockings?? And the presents!!? Its just going to be different & importantly so. We spent christmas in a hotel one year, brought a tree, decorated it with a box of decorations from the store, hung stockings, etc. Can you stay in a hotel with a kitchen, like residence inn or?? If so, you can do whatever baking you want. Those Christmas traditions are about being together & it doesn't matter where that is...

Edited by rocketgirl

You know, I don't think I would do anything other than do something. It is what it is, you know? the kids will understand that you can't open a bag and out springs "Christmas". So I agree with the other poster who said postpone it.

Bring the stockings, eat a great breakfast, go to the pool, visit your FIL, hit a Chinese buffet (watch A Christmas Story!) and talk about what you'll do when you get home.

itsheresomewhere also has some great ideas.

:iagree: Keep it simple and relaxed. I vote for bringing the stockings, too, if not the gifts. Bring books to read and board games. Order room service for Christmas breakfast and/or bring along hot chocolate mix and marshmallows. It's about being together; not about having Christmas in a certain way.

If the kids have gifts that they will enjoy having through Christmas, let them open gifts before you leave.

We've had lots of Christmas mornings in a hotel. Leave the bulk of the presents at home (either open before you leave or when you get back), but take something to open in the morning in the room. Take the stockings (we prop them up by the window or bring suction cups with hooks). We typically stay up and watch a Christmas movie on tv together on CHristmas eve and bring a copy of our favorite Christmas story. We bring a 2' pre-lit tree and tiny ornaments. We bring window decorations to make the room more festive looking.

Is there coffee? Is there a hotel breakfast? Have a small Christmas morning together in your room before you head out. If you do Santa, Santa has always come to our hotel room.

:grouphug: Christmas will be terrific.

Edited by Karen in CO

Any reason you can't do Christmas before you leave and the kids can bring some of their new stuff with them?

As for a fridge and a microwave to be brought to the room(s).

Take your crock pot. With the appliances you can do several different foods.

I'm not sure where you are going but if you are going to a big enough area movies will be open and some restaurants.

I'm so sorry about your FIL. We're going to be in a hotel on Xmas too. I'm bringing our presents and I'm going to Lowe's or Home Depot for a Norfolk pine. We're staying at a hotel with a pool so I got the kids some cool water toys too. Food? Well, this year the food is going to be not quite what I like but we'll manage. :D

I haven't read the other replies,. but I think you can still make this special. Yes, bring the stockings. If you do this every year, a little normalcy will go a long way. They won't take up much space. Also, Christmas stocking gifts can be inexpensive, which I'll assume is important since you're travelling over the holiday. Bring the stockings and gifts in a suitcase, and bring hangings, even hooks. Decorate your room with them. When you're keeping the little busy while dh is with fil, while olders are with family, go to the lobby. I'm SURE there will be a tree there. Make the most of it. I'm sure there will also be other special places you can relax. Just get out of that room! You can have fun there, but during the daylight hours, explore and have fun!

The meal may seem important, but it's really not at a time like this. Having a warm meal, a stocking, and if you can, a gift, will be a blessing.

Buy a board game or two, a new puzzle, etc. to do in the room.

The circumstances suck, and I'm so sorry for you. But you can still make this special for the kids. Pay special attention to remembering fil, honor him, and yet still make the day special and not scary for the kids.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

If it were me, I'd celebrate our own Christmas at home before we leave, then let the kids pack a few gifts that travel well. I might save the stockings for the hotel.

What do you know about the city you are traveling to? If they have any sort of Christmas light display, I'd plan to see that. Also, if your hotel has a kitchen, you can order a meal from a grocery store, or Boston market, or somewhere OR you can make reservations to a place that will be open.

Why no presents at the hotel? That would be a biggie for me. If you can bring the stockings and presents, then the kids can play with their new stuff while at the hotel.

Will there be room service? That would be cool. And if there's a pool--wow! That would be a lifesaver.

We brought all of our presents and stockings two years ago when we went there and it was a disaster. We lost pieces to things and there was utter chaos with 7 kids trying to unwrap all of their presents.

I think we may do our stockings and that's it. We haven't even bought any presents yet because we just now got dh's bonus check.

If it were me, I'd celebrate our own Christmas at home before we leave, then let the kids pack a few gifts that travel well. I might save the stockings for the hotel.

What do you know about the city you are traveling to? If they have any sort of Christmas light display, I'd plan to see that. Also, if your hotel has a kitchen, you can order a meal from a grocery store, or Boston market, or somewhere OR you can make reservations to a place that will be open.

We can't celebrate it before. DH lives and works in KY and won't be home until the night before we leave. DD and ds won't be home until two days before we leave and so there just isn't the time.

WE know the city very well. That's where we were married and dh's parents have always lived, not alot of Christmas displays to see. The hotel rooms don't have kitchenettes. Hopefully sil will do some kind of meal but she already feels put out cuz we are coming. :(

Have you tried finding a rental instead of a hotel,

I have used this site many times. We are going to Disney in February and I just find a house with 4 bedrooms & 3 bathrooms for $600 for the entire week. You could cook, do presents, etc and make it a home away from home. It generally works out less expensive for is than a hotel.

http://www.homeaway.com/

I searched and not one in Jefferson City, MO which is where we will be going.

Microwave popcorn (can cook at the hotel lobby or room)-- you can request a microwave.

One stocking for each person with little things to keep them busy (dice games, jacks and ball, inflatable beach ball, etc...)

Stop at a grocery store on the way to the hotel and pick up plain sugar cookies and icing/sprinkles. Everyone can decorate cookies as they come/go.

my son suggested taking a piece of wrapping paper (folded in luggage), some bows and decorate your hotel door. OOOH-- could make it a "christmas tree" and challenge each person to make an ornament. LOL Could be funny.

He also suggested buying a few games for people to play. Would take people's minds off the situation, and is a good time-burner.

Good ideas. My kids like all of those ideas.

We did this one year and did some of the things recommended. After pool time Christmas eve, we watched Sound Of Music, then A Christmas Story. I put up lights and put the stockings out with those gifts (we were going to family's later that morning, so did the rest of the gifts there). We were at Embassy Suites so the huge breakfast was included. It was memorable! We enjoyed it.

Maybe your guys are too old, but my mother would have had us decorating and wrapping up cookies for all the staff, and if that wasn't going to keep us occupied long enough, we'd have been decorating plates of cookies for everyone staying on our floor too.

And she'd have brought along decorations for the room, probably tinsel, tinsel and more tinsel, even though she hates tinsel, lol.

:grouphug:

Rosie

:iagree:

And lots of change for the kids to go crazy with vending machines. Let them do ice bucket runs too. Bring some board games for the lobby area if there is a sitting area. Use it as an opportunity for the kids to see another side of the holidays -- they will remember it for years to come -- but instead of seeing the sad side of it will think of the fun side you tried to create for them.

Last Christmas was a sad one for us as a small family. We had our MIL dx'ed with terminal cancer and she had just come out of an emergency craniotonomy weeks before Christmas. We all knew it would be our last time with her and tried to make it special. Now that she is gone and we are no longer together celebrating the holidays -- it is bittersweet -- but now have vowed to do a service/community volunteer act at this time to keep her memory alive instead of presents. HTH

Is it just the two little boys who will be in the hotel room with you most of the day? Will you have a car?

Call the hotel tomorrow and ask them to set aside that day's (Sunday the 18th's) newspaper for you, because the Christmas house decorating contest winners will be published in it. Then you could go on a tour.

How about bringing a book of carols and singing together? If you can relax about not sounding great, this can be a lot of fun. Actually, your family is big enough to be go caroling any neighborhood by yourselves and seem like a little mob. What would you think of doing that?

I hear you about losing parts in a hotel room, but maybe you can just wrap up one new board game that you can then spend the day learning to play. To make it extra special, ask the hotel if anyone there can dress up as Santa and knock on your door in the night to deliver it. I know your kids are too big to believe in Santa, but it will still be memorable and fun for them.

Also, it seems like many churches must have events that day. Can you call some that match your denominational preferences and explain your situation and see if they have any services planned? If there's nothing of your preference, maybe you can celebrate Christmas by going to different types of services at different times as a kind of tour of what the birth of Christ resulted in? Or you could find the prettiest, biggest cathedral in the city and go just to feel the awe.

I don't know where your hotel room is, but even if you don't have a car, it's worth looking to see what is within walking distance. It may be that a church three blocks away is having a big Christmas evening caroling service or something.

Another thing you could do is volunteer somewhere that day. It seems like all your children are old enough to participate in such a thing.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

I grew up in a Navy family, and we always seemed to be in the middle of a move for Christmas and/or Thanksgiving, which meant that we were in temporary quarters (basically a hotel room) as often as not. Eventually, my mom got a little fake tree, but before that, I remember going through the recycling/old papers and finding old comics to make a tree . They'd get a package of Christmas bows and let us go wild sticking them to things.

My mom would usually get donuts the day before for us to have for breakfast (big treat).

I honestly don't know how they pulled off the Santa thing when we were little. When we were older (12-20), I have fun memories of hiding in the bathroom with my brothers while my parents put the gifts out (they were stashed in the back of the car). They always brought our stockings.

We did the cookie thing that some people mention, we had hot chocolate with candy canes and marshmallows.

Holiday dinners at Shoney's became a tradition all of their own -- one that we kept once or twice when we WEREN'T in the middle of moving. (either that, or we'd eat on the ship if Dad had to work).

I'll ask my brothers, too, but I don't think any of us ever felt slighted, but a lot had to do with my parents' attitude of making it into an adventure definitely rubbed off. And we also had the added benefit that if we were in the middle of moving, Dad was *usually* home and not deployed.

There won't be a nice Christmas breakfast, no stockings, no big Christmas dinner and no presents that day. We will only be able to have the little boys there for an hour or so and then it's back to the hotel for me and them. DH will spend most of the day with them, my older boys will go to brother's house and older girls will do what ever they want.

I need ideas to make this special. Should I just bring the stockings? That would be easy I guess. But, what else can I do to make this special for my kids since we will literally be stuck in a hotel for most of the day that day? I know the "true" meaning of Christmas is not about getting and I believe that I can do something this day to show my kids that Christmas is about sharing it with those you love. I just need some ideas to make this happen.

Detach yourself from the idea of a "perfect" -or even a traditional- Christmas; embrace this one for what it is and adapt to the situation, however not ideal it is. Easier said than done, I know.

As a military wife and flight attendant, I've spent many holidays in less than ideal places and ways - many Christmases in the situation you describe above: no Christmas breakfast, no stockings, no dinner or presents ... just me, alone, stuck in a hotel room in a foreign city, and most of the world around me closed up because vendors are home with their families. Plus I've had to work (!) trying not to envy the people I'm shuttling between home and their loved ones. I know it's not easy, or fun. But I remind myself that my celebration is forthcoming, and that it's about the people ... not the date, not the place, not the things we're not doing. It's a new adventure every year ;)

A few times my kids have met up with me at my layover hotel. We make good use of the indoor pool - always a treat in the winter, but bring goggles. Hotels use an insane amount of cholorine, geesh! If I know they're coming with me, I pack a small stocking for each one - with mostly consumable goodies (chocolates, cocoa/marshmallows, popcorn). I hang them up in the closet, since there's no fireplace LOL.

Toss in some wet-erase markers and let the kids color on the mirrored closets (baby wipes removes the drawings); or window markers for the sliding glass doors. My kids play tic-tac-toe, make wordsearches for each other, draw gross boy humor stuff, mad libs. Throw in some bubble bath and dump the entire bottle into the bath, let the kids play in the mess OR indulge yourself with a bottle of wine thrown into YOUR stocking.

Once, in desperation, I let the boys make spitwads. We drew a target on the mirror using lipstick, and they shot from the shower in a variety of poses. It evolved into a version of the basketball game "HORSE". This entertained them for several hours LOL. Not super hard to clean up (and they knew going into it that THEY'd be cleaning it up; not me, not the staff.)

When the shops are still open, buy a big posterboard, some markers, and maybe stickers. Draw santa or a christmas tree on the posterboard (which you've stored under or behind the beds until now), and blindfold the kids. Play pin the star on santa, or ornament on the tree. I thought my boys (10-14) were too old for this, but they had more fun doing it than did the intended child (my 5 year old)! Naturally the more fun thing being to spin each other around and fall down LOL.

If we get bored we've gone for walks; cities are mostly deserted, but not entirely. I buy them a disposable camera, and let them go crazy. Usually there is a parking lot or park or open area nearby; bring a nerf football and let the boys throw and run around. We've done treasure hunts using the whole hotel as our playground -- not running around loudly, but walking and whispering, and taking turns hiding a chocolate bar or stocking around the hotel common areas. We've brought board games, and played in the lobby and common areas, too. You meet interesting people on Christmas; they're more apt to talk, and I like meeting new people.

There are always movies. Gift everyone an IOU for one pay-per-view movie, and settle in for a marathon; bring popcorn, cocoa, and -- if your room doesn't have a microwave, call down to see if they have one they can bring up (or you can use in the lobby). Order a pizza or Chinese take-out. Or buy a baggie of Hershey's Kisses and hide all of them in your room or on your floor; tell the boys they can keep any they find to snack on all day. We've done this at Easter, with plastic eggs. And if they're not found, chocolate isn't gross ... like real eggs, or anything that'll rot LOL.

Bring a small rosemary plant to the hotel room, and it'll smell a little like Christmas (and you can leave behind - someone on staff will love it, I'm sure, or gift it to your ILs. Bring string and popcorn, and string a popcorn tinsel for the little plant while watching a movie. I know it stinks :grouphug: I'm sorry it's not going to be your traditional holiday, but I know you guys will make it through just fine.

You could make breakfast slightly more fun for the littles, at least, if you do something like a "jungle" breakfast. We did this at camp when I was a kid.

You hide the breakfast elements around your space and everyone has to basically treasure hunt for the stuff. Those little boxes of cereal, little packages of donuts, fruit, etc. If you think you could swing bringing a toaster oven (or if the room will have one, which I doubt), you could add things like the exploding cans of cinnamon rolls or waffles.

Bring a CD player and get some good stories on CD to listen to as a way to rest a little. Learn some new card games (fewer pieces to lose).

I love the idea of a poster board Christmas tree. If you live somewhere with parent-teacher stores, they have those teeny "incentive" stickers that usually go on a grid thing. You could get those and covering the tree will take longer :)

Get some blank note cards and make some cards for Grandpa or other family?

I just remembered something. I stayed in a hotel and brought my own vcr, but when I got there, the hotel had covered up the plugs so that people could NOT plug their vcr's into their tvs. I guess they wanted you to pay for the movies they offered.

Since then, I've always brought a laptop to play any movies, in case the hotel has monkeyed with the tvs.

You might want to find out ahead of time about whether or not you can hook up a dvd player to the hotel tv. Or bring the dvd player AND the tv!

Look at it this way. The hotel will probably already have a tree up - and it will be bigger than one you might put up at home. The hotel lobby gets cleaned daily. They have magical cleaning faries that keep hot coffee and hot water for cocoa going. They often have fake fires in fake fire places, etc. So you have a lot of Christmas "stuff" without being in your room. Use the WHOLE hotel if you can. The rest of us will be crazy cooking and cleaning and wishing we had maids, and you will have a STAFF to clean:)

If there is a tree, sit by it. Drink cocoa. Get a list from the hotel of what nearby restaurants are open. Starbucks and Caribou are often open on Christmas. Go. Splurge. The the peppermint whatever thing with whipped cream. If you all stay up in your room, you may feel quite cabin fever inflicted. So hang out at the pool, sit by the fire, enjoy the tree in the lobby. Give the kids a really fun board game and play it down there at a table. Or get the kids some card games and have some ridiculous prizes - Christmas stuff . Get photos of the family in front of that tree, even if it seems quite sad and fake. Have a plan to watch a Christmas movie in the evening. Pack Christmassy pajamas and put them on and watch it. Have DH tell the kids ahead of time that he expects them to be cheerful and go along with these things for your benefit. They will enjoy them:)

Call the hotel ahead of time if you can, and ask if there are options for Christmas nearby.

And remember, Christmas is on a Sunday. Maybe you can find a place to go to church.