Menu

Cheapest place to get prescription glasses?

DH was diagnosed with severe astigmatism and other vision problems. In researching glasses (both online and off) we haven't found anything below $300 with the prescription. :confused: Does anyone have any advice on where to get cheaper, but still good quality, prescription glasses?

Thank you.

I had no problems at Wal-Mart or Costco, and I have a very high RX and some astigmatism. My glasses are so thick I have to get the super high index lenses or they are Coke bottles.

Online there is Zenni Optical, very cheap pricing. I haven't purchased from there, but I know of several families who do. A local homeschooling family has 6 out of 7 kids in glasses, and they purchase from there regularly with no problems. Their last purchase was 5 pair for $100, though these prices are for regular lenses. At their lower prices, you could order more than one pair if you were concerned about breakage.

I've heard good things about Zenni Optical online too but have never used them. We get DH's glasses from 39dollarglasses.com. They have been of decent quality -- not quite as good as his old pair (from LensCrafters) but also not the $300 that we paid for those either! $300 buys quite a few pairs of glasses if they're only $39 a pair. I think his last pair from 39dollarglasses.com lasted for about 18 months; they were a little bent, and he said they were a little scratched, but they were still usable. When they recently had a "$20 off every pair" special, we got him a new basic pair (which was super easy; his prescription hadn't changed, and they had all the info stored, so we just ordered the exact same thing) and a pair of prescription sunglasses (originally $59, I think), and he's been pretty pleased. He tends to be a bit hard on glasses (they've fallen off the nightstand and have been stepped on by a toddler a few times, that sort of thing), so cheap is good. :)

Not sure where you are located but we have used a place called America's Best.

For $69.96 you get 2 pairs of glasses and a free eye exam. ($99 for Multifocal)

Not sure how their prices work if you are bringing in the perscription, or if they charge more for *thinner* lenses for high perscriptions.

http://www.twopair.com/

I have a high prescription and still had to spend over $200 at America's Best even with cheap frames because the lenses were so expensive.

Edited by WordGirl

My husband and son both get their glasses their Zenni and have been happy with them.

I have a high prescription and severe astigmatism. While I would like to order from Zenni and get the lower prices, I don't. For whatever reason, I haven't been able to get a pair of glasses in at least the last 10 years to be right on the first try. Either the prescription is off, the correction isn't centered over my eyeballs, I get tons of glare etc. In other words, every pair of glasses I've owned has had to be remade at least twice with 3-4 trips to get them shaped properly so I don't have overwhelming glare. Also the antiglare coating wears off really fast and I have to get that redone. I can't avoid to be without my glasses more than about 5 mintues (unless I'm sleeping) or I get really bad headaches and I can't go back to an old pair with a different prescription. So I work with local people who can help me get the adjustments I need to be able to see properly.

So that would be my caution for your husband. Depending what other eye issues he has, you may prefer to buy them locally (even if they cost more) because not everyone can just wear their glasses straight from the manufacture and local customer service for adjustments can may a huge difference in the ability to see well.

When I've priced this, Sam's Club was our best bet.

I have ordered from ZenniOptical before. Some were fine. I ordered progressive lenses from them and they didn't work. I took them to someone a couple years later and they told me there was no progressive lense in them. It's very hard to tell if a frame will look good on you from just seeing the frame online. It might be worth taking the chance for a young child who doesn't have a strong prescription or doesn't care what the frame is like. Or for an adult who wears glasses infrequently for reading, etc.