Menu

Anyone tried French Essentials ?

Ummto4

I was researching for a French program and came across www.frenchessentials.com

Anyone tried this ?

It has videos, audios, and workbooks (all downloadable), and the program incorporates writing, listening, reading, and speaking.

They plan to have 8 modules, but at the moment, they only release module 1-3. Module 1 and 2 are $60 each, but everything else is free afterwards. Module 4 is due to be out fall 2012, and module 5 Jan 2013. We only need to do 2 modules/year.

I contacted them this morning with some questions, and they got back to me within a few hours. Looks promising from customer service side of things.

Any feedback on this program ?

TIA

:bigear:

I came across it recently as well and am stuck between it and L'art de Lire. Looking forward to hearing what anyone else has to share.

Could you elaborate on what you asked/what additional info you received?

I'm always a little nervous about starting something that is not yet a complete series.

This is their email reply to me when I asked about the pacing, anticipated release date, and whether grammar is included.

"Two modules per year would be sufficient in terms of time and learning.

We are currently working on Modules 4 & 5 concurrently. Module 4 will be ready Fall 2010 (?? may be a typo to fall 2012 ?) and

Module 5 will be ready January 2013. Our program covers all the bases, listening, reading, writing

& speaking. In the first 3 Modules grammar is taught where necessary but the emphasis is on accuracy

in speaking and comprehension. Beginning in Module 3/4 the grammar & writing gets more robust as students are generally older

by the time they reach that level.

Once a person purchases Modules 1 & 2 ($59.95) the rest of the Modules (when completed) are free.

http://frenchessentials.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8&vmcchk=1&Itemid=88

This is too make our program as financially accessible as possible for homeschoolers wishing to do French.

By nature most homeschool families are one income and doing homeschool is a financial sacrifice.

Our goal is to produce one to two module per year until high school. If you buy one and two

you can download Module 3 for free when you wish. You will just need to email us for a coupon code."

PS: I did consider Art de Lire before, but I am concerned that the author seems no longer maintain the business like it used to be (judging from some posts in this board). But at the same time, I'm actually worried with French Essential since they haven't released all of their modules. If they don't release the next 5 modules on time, I can end up using only 3 modules which will cost $120 in total, which makes it pretty expensive (and no physical products in hand, mind you) .

Edited by mom2moon2

PS: I did consider Art de Lire before, but I am concerned that the author seems no longer maintain the business like it used to be (judging from some posts in this board). But at the same time, I'm actually worried with French Essential since they haven't released all of their modules. If they don't release the next 5 modules on time, I can end up using only 3 modules which will cost $120 in total, which makes it pretty expensive (and no physical products in hand, mind you) .

Thanks for sharing the email. Your thoughts above are exactly how I am feeling about the decision.

That first $120 really gets down on me ...

In the other hand, that program offers video which will be good for my ds, and it promises a hand holding on pronunciation and whatever is said in the video. So it's not a 'guess this word' (or immersion) program at all.

:bigear: I'll be interested in seeing how this goes if anyone chooses to use it. We have L'art de dire, but it just isn't getting done. It isn't structured enough for me, and DD isn't enjoying it either. We've just been reading French books and learning random French vocab words for now. (One of DD's favorite games in the car is "Mommy... how do you say (random word) in French/Spanish?") lol. So we are learning words, just not how to use them!

That first $120 really gets down on me ...

In the other hand, that program offers video which will be good for my ds, and it promises a hand holding on pronunciation and whatever is said in the video. So it's not a 'guess this word' (or immersion) program at all.

That first $120 is giving me pause as well. It's all good to say the rest of the program will be free but first of all, the rest of the program isn't yet available!! and secondly, I don't know if we'll like the program.