Menu

For those that have mummified a chicken

happyWImom

How did it turn out?

We did a cornish game hen 2 years ago, and it has been in the salt mixture that entire time (I'm not big on follow-through:blushing:). Now, we're doing Egypt again, and so we decided to finish it. It was totally dried out, so then we followed what SOTW act. book said to do; we wiped off the excess salt, rubbed it with spices & oil, then wrapped it with bandages soaked in glue/water mixture. Now, it seems, mushy......:001_huh: Did we rehydrate it???? But I followed the directions!

Help!

I don't know, because mine is still sitting in salt :lol:

It's been 6 weeks and I'm afraid of the thing! Not because I thinks it's alive but because I'm wondering how to get past the goopiness of it all!:eek:

I have a friend who mummified hers nearly nine years ago and she still has it.

Edited by MyLittleBears

It's been 6 weeks and I'm afraid of the thing! Not because I thinks it's alive but because I'm wondering how to get past the goopiness of it all!:eek:

I have a friend who mummified hers nearly nine years ago and she still has it.

Oh, no! Yours is goopy??

Did it become goopy after your wrapped it, or are you talking goopy while it's still drying out in the salt mixture?

We want to keep ours for a long time, if it works out. My dc helped dh nail a little sarcophagus together, and they are going to paint it. I'm going to be so mad if the oil & the glue/water mix is making it rot!

Oh, no! Yours is goopy??

Did it become goopy after your wrapped it, or are you talking goopy while it's still drying out in the salt mixture?

We want to keep ours for a long time, if it works out. My dc helped dh nail a little sarcophagus together, and they are going to paint it. I'm going to be so mad if the oil & the glue/water mix is making it rot!

Oh no, I meant that it's in salt and I know there is goopiness to come with the glue/oil stuff to come. I have to admit, it's a bit much for me!:tongue_smilie:

The things we do for our kids!

My DS got green and vomited at the Field surgery tent when visiting the Yorktown battlefield. (and it wasn't a reinactiment, it was just a guy holding and talking about the instruments.....DS has an entirely too active an imagination.....:lol:)

I can just Imagine what would happen if I tried to have him help mummify a chicken......he'd take one look at the light pink fluid present in all types of fresh meat when unwrapped and pass out. (How do I know this, well lets just say he's been failing cooking meat 101 and First Aid: How to handle the sight of blood since 3rd grade)

DD on the other hand....well, after watching Dear Bro pass out....she would smirk and ask if we could mummify her brother.

Yep...*tearing up*....I'm just so darn lucky....;)

Seriously though I did mentioned it......We are studying Egypt now and I want to do it. But I got stink eye from my hormonally challenged pre-teen, so after some discussion DD has agreed to give DS a year or two to become comfortable with the idea. (But only if he lets her help dissect the Frog he's doing this year for his BIO lab.....As I was walking away I heard him promise her she could, in fact, do it all).

I've done it three times (back when I taught school!). Twice it worked out, once it didn't. I did it from other instructions, not the ones from SOTW, but the idea of using wet bandages seems bizarre to me. I'll bet you did rehydrate him. For me, the times it worked, I was diligent about changing out the salt mixture over and over until it came out dry.

Well, mine are at the age that anything disgusting is fascinating & funny, so they loved it, and love talking about the whole mummification process.

I had dh put it in the salt mixture, and that was the really yucky part. Putting the salt and oil wasn't bad at all, because it was all dried out. Now, the thought of it being rehydrated & rotting is grossing me out, but other than that......:D