Menu

Weight Gain question - and how to eat??

Ok. So I've posted on my appearance before (a couple of months ago) and I was really down on myself (well, mostly because I was stressed out). So I want to preface by saying I'm not trying to be down on myself, just that I'm trying to figure out what to do.

We haven't changed much of anything about the way we eat in the past few months. But for some reason, in probably the last 6-8 weeks, I've gained like 5-10 lbs. I have no. idea. why.

This is what I eat on a normal day:

Breakfast: a Kashi dark mocha almond granola bar and either a small cup of 100% juice or (usually) a cup of instant cappuccino (ftr, I've done the instant cappuccino before, when I was on WW, and it isn't fattening to speak of)

Lunch: either leftovers, a sandwich (which I HATE, plus I can't eat a sandwich and drink water, it makes me throw up. Idk why), a bean burrito (just refried beans on a whole wheat tortilla, dipped in salsa), or (and this is the bad choice, I know!) something like chips & dip, because I don't have anything else. (Which happens pretty often - at least a couple of times per week. I know, it's terrible. But the key thing here is that it is NOT a new thing. I've been eating like this since like, July or August. Would it really JUST be catching up with me now? Seems odd.) And I always drink water with lunch.

Dinner: we don't eat super-healthy but by no means do we eat bad, either. Spaghetti with WW pasta, other casseroles. I try to limit red meat. Pretty much everything in our dinner arsenal is pretty 'normal' - sometimes its healthier than others, but we always have (except on VERY rare occasions) a veggie, a meat, and a 'side'/starch. I drink water with dinner.

Snacks: I USED to eat a bowl of ice cream a day. Now I don't. I haven't for the past month (which is pretty much when I've gained the weight.) I have a weakness for chips and dip, and if I didn't have any earlier in the day I'll have some in the evening after the kids go to bed (if we have any in the house). I usually have another large glass of water, sometimes I'll do the green tea mix in.

So here's my dilemma. Nothing has changed to speak of, diet wise. I'm just packing on pounds for no discernible reason. :confused: I know I need to eat better, and I want to try, but part of me just feels like what's the point if I'm going to gain weight even when I'm not eating any differently than I was two months ago? Kwim?

Now, on to The second part of my question....

Early in the year we did a fast (a 21 day Daniel fast) and when we did it I lost 10 lbs. I felt great at the end of it. When I went back to eating my 'comfort foods' - chips, dip, ice cream - I felt sick. So the first couple weeks, I didn't like the way they made me feel so I threw them out. But over time (and, honestly, living with DH, who has to have a snack every night :lol: and still weighs in at 150 lbs) I brought all the other stuff back into my diet and just got used to it again. Even if my stomach hurt after eating a bowl of ice cream, I just got used to it. Not to say I gorged myself by any means - I guess I just didn't like sitting and watching TV with DH while he's munching on chips and not having anything to munch on myself. :glare: So anyway, I kept that 10 lbs off for another 1-2 months (which wasn't the purpose of the fast, anyway, and honestly I liked the way I FELT much more than I cared about the weight loss) and then went back to what I weighed before. I did keep some of the 'fast' habits, though - during the fast we had smoothies every day for breakfast (just fruit and juice, usually, sometimes with some cashews mixed in. DH had protein powder in his but I couldn't do it.) and after the fast I actually kept having smoothies for breakfast every morning, I just added yogurt. I did that until about June, when I saw that it was actually really fattening and high in calories. So I figured it would be better for me to eat something else. :confused: But Idk if I was correct in that assumption or not. Also, on the fast I had a salad for lunch every day. We did a week or so with just the plain olive oil and vinegar dressing, but then decided we couldn't do salads without a good dressing, so we went with Marzetti instead. I did the Sweet Italian. And I kept eating that for lunch until June, also, when I discovered the same thing about that - that the dressing is pretty fatty and loaded with calories. So, again, I thought it would be better for me to eat something else.

So what I'm wondering on that is - what do you think? I could maybe go back to the salads and smoothies - by all means, I'd still love them, but Idk about the cost factor. I was sure I'd save money by not doing those any more, but it still seems that I spend the same amount at the store. Idk, I'm just confused, I guess. I thought I was doing the right thing by cutting those things out, but...?????

(I should add I'm a relatively picky eater. I'll say that in advance, just in case I get some healthy food tips and sound like I'm being crazy with 'not liking' a lot of things. :lol: You'd be surprised how much MORE I like now than I used to!!)

Seems to me like you're not eating enough, for one. You need to eat a bigger breakfast, have a small snack (like an apple and a tablespoon of almond butter) between breakfast and lunch, have a healthy lunch, another snack and then dinner. For an after dinner treat have something like air popped popcorn.

You need to keep your metabolism going throughout the day and if you're not eating enough your body will go into starvation mode.

Also, when you do those fasts you'll lose weight, but you'll most definitely just put the weight back on when you go back to your normal way of eating.

Are you working out? Exercise will help you to lose weight faster and keep it off. Change up your routine about every 6 weeks to shock your body so it doesn't get used to doing the same ol' thing.

Good luck!

You never say how much you are eating of those things. A serving of chips and dip is really small and very high in calories and fat. It really easy to eat 3-4 servings and feel like you didn't have all that much when you're really blowing through half or more of your daily calories.

You need to teach yourself serving size and how to stretch flavor. After the holidays, I'm going back to the diet that was working so well that Weight Watchers online was chastising me for losing too fast. I got off track when we had exchange students because we wanted to introduce them to our favorites not our diet. Anyway, here's what I ate, with explanations:

Breakfast:

I precooked one pound of sausage and ran it through a blender so it was finely ground. I put that in the fridge in Tupperware, and it lasted us all week.

Each morning, I sauteed 1-2 tablespoons of finely chopped onions in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Just before they were done, I added about 3/4 cups fresh chopped spinach leaves. Just as they were wilting, I added 8 scrambled eggs. As they were cooking, I seasoned them with salt and pepper and added 2 ounces of sausage (yes, I weighed it on a scale). If I felt like the rest of my day was lower in points (Weight Watchers), I added 1 ounce of shredded cheddar cheese. This makes enough for 6 people to have a 1/2 cup serving of eggs that are very flavorful. To that, we added about 1 1/2 cups of fresh cut up fruit on the side...whatever I had on hand. We drink water with almost every meal, though if I served juice, it would be 8 ounces.

Lunch:

We typically eat sandwiches for lunch. This consists of two slices whole wheat bread. On that, I might add mustard, one slice of deli turkey, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and/or onions. If I put mayo, it was a carefully measured tablespoon. If I put cheddar cheese, it was a thin one-ounce slice. Having mayo and/or cheese on my sandwich might mean I had no room for dessert. Fruit on the side, like breakfast. Water to drink.

Dinner:

Breakfast and lunch were low enough in points that I had more leeway with dinner. Typically, dinner consisted of 3-4 ounces of lean meat such as chicken breasts cooked with a rub (no sauces), a carefully measured serving of starch (ie. 1/2 cup rice or potatoes), and two servings of steamed vegetables and/or salad. If more food was desired, more veggies could be had. Water to drink.

Because I don't do well if deprived of dessert, I had enough room in my points for dessert but I kept it at a single serving...half a cup (measured not eyeballed) of ice cream or a single brownie, etc.

You never say how much you are eating of those things. A serving of chips and dip is really small and very high in calories and fat. It really easy to eat 3-4 servings and feel like you didn't have all that much when you're really blowing through half or more of your daily calories.

You need to teach yourself serving size and how to stretch flavor. After the holidays, I'm going back to the diet that was working so well that Weight Watchers online was chastising me for losing too fast. I got off track when we had exchange students because we wanted to introduce them to our favorites not our diet. Anyway, here's what I ate, with explanations:

Breakfast:

I precooked one pound of sausage and ran it through a blender so it was finely ground. I put that in the fridge in Tupperware, and it lasted us all week.

Each morning, I sauteed 1-2 tablespoons of finely chopped onions in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Just before they were done, I added about 3/4 cups fresh chopped spinach leaves. Just as they were wilting, I added 8 scrambled eggs. As they were cooking, I seasoned them with salt and pepper and added 2 ounces of sausage (yes, I weighed it on a scale). If I felt like the rest of my day was lower in points (Weight Watchers), I added 1 ounce of shredded cheddar cheese. This makes enough for 6 people to have a 1/2 cup serving of eggs that are very flavorful. To that, we added about 1 1/2 cups of fresh cut up fruit on the side...whatever I had on hand. We drink water with almost every meal, though if I served juice, it would be 8 ounces.

Lunch:

We typically eat sandwiches for lunch. This consists of two slices whole wheat bread. On that, I might add mustard, one slice of deli turkey, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and/or onions. If I put mayo, it was a carefully measured tablespoon. If I put cheddar cheese, it was a thin one-ounce slice. Having mayo and/or cheese on my sandwich might mean I had no room for dessert. Fruit on the side, like breakfast. Water to drink.

Dinner:

Breakfast and lunch were low enough in points that I had more leeway with dinner. Typically, dinner consisted of 3-4 ounces of lean meat such as chicken breasts cooked with a rub (no sauces), a carefully measured serving of starch (ie. 1/2 cup rice or potatoes), and two servings of steamed vegetables and/or salad. If more food was desired, more veggies could be had. Water to drink.

Because I don't do well if deprived of dessert, I had enough room in my points for dessert but I kept it at a single serving...half a cup (measured not eyeballed) of ice cream or a single brownie, etc.

Yes, I eat more than one serving of chips and dip. The thing is, that isn't anything new. So I don't get why I'm gaining weight NOW, kwim?

And idk, the idea of 'dieting' - like, the food you are talking about - just doesn't sound like it could be a lifestyle to me. Its great that you guys like it. But I want to be able to eat like a normal person and not have to worry about measuring all my food all the time. As it is, I never eat seconds at a meal. I eat on the smallest plate we own. I guess I'm not really wanting to diet, per se, just want to try to figure out a) what has happened that has made my weight shoot up; and b) what good, healthy options there are without feeling like I'm dieting all the time. I did WW. It was nice. And after awhile, I stalled out (12 lbs or so - which, coincidentally, is about where I am now)...then the holidays that year came (2 years ago) and points went out the window. Well, that, and my free trial membership was over. :)

Guest submarines

Are you supplementing with vitamin D? Lower vitamin D in winter (less light) leads to weight gain.

Also, metabolism does slow down as we age.

In addition, fasting really messes up with metabolism, so it is quite possible that the effects of the fast are catching up with you now.

If your metabolism has already slowed down, and you are eating a lot of carbs (which I think you are) you will be gaining weight.

If I eat carbs / sweets after 6pm, I gain weight really fast. If I end up hungry in the evening, I eat something high in protein instead.

Also, when my weight increases seemingly with no reason, I can later trace it so subtle changes in portion size. I *think* I'm not eating more, but in fact I am.

Have you considered going more high protein and less carbohydates? I'd also recommend trying to do smaller meals every 3 hours or so to keep the metabolism up.

I know, that for myself, even if I'm limiting calories, I won't lose, and will even gain if I'm not limiting my carbs. I tend to be glucose intolerant with my big triggers being refined sugar and white, starchy carbs (white bread, white pasta, white rice, potatoes, etc...). Eating smaller meals not only keeps my metabolism moving, it also helps to keep my blood sugar regulated.

Here's what I eat on an average day...please keep in mind that I'm also 9 months pregnant so a plan for you would look different. On a good note, by following this type of plan I've managed to keep weight gain this pregnancy down to under 10lbs total.

Breakfast

- 2 or 3 eggs scrambled with one small plum tomato, baby spinach and shredded cheddar cheese

- 1 piece of whole wheat or Ezekial toast with butter

Snack

- Atkins chocolate shake

- small or medium size orange

Lunch

- 1 piece of Ezekial toast spread with almond butter

- 1 8 oz. glass of 2 or 4% milk

- serving of raw sugar snap peas

Snack

- greek yogurt

or

- cheese or nuts and a piece of fruit

Dinner

- usually some sort of lean protein, a colorful veggie (orange or green), and a grain.

Snack

- cup of cottage cheese and fresh berries

or

- smoothie made with whey protein powder, milk and frozen berries

I'm not seeing much in the way of fruits & veggies. Add in at least a small salad in there somewhere, at least one serving of veggies at lunch and 2 pieces of whole fruit (skip the juice). This will make it easier to ditch the chips & dip and cut back on the carbs a bit.

I'm not seeing much in the way of fruits & veggies. Add in at least a small salad in there somewhere, at least one serving of veggies at lunch and 2 pieces of whole fruit (skip the juice). This will make it easier to ditch the chips & dip and cut back on the carbs a bit.

I have noticed that I've been craving fruit. Like literally CRAVING it. So I bought oranges at the store and some frozen blueberries from Schwan's. :)

Hopefully that'll help a little.

I have noticed that I've been craving fruit. Like literally CRAVING it. So I bought oranges at the store and some frozen blueberries from Schwan's. :)

Hopefully that'll help a little.

Mmm Schwan's berries! :drool5: When I was doing Eat to Live, Schwan's triple berry blend with a little vanilla soymilk was my "ice cream".

Oranges are great this time of year. Enjoy some fresh whole food. Your health is worth the time and effort (now just tell me that when I reach for the Doritos okay? :tongue_smilie:).

How old are you? When I turned 35 I went through this sort of thing. Nothing about my diet changed, and I have always been a very healthy eater (whole grains if I eat carbs, lots of fruit, veggies, lean protein, and a treat of some sort almost every day, usually dark chocolate in small amounts) and I exercise regularly. I gained about 10 pounds in the span of several months.

Weight gain...Sounds like me. I have multiple food allergies (gluten, caisen, soy, corn, sugar and pork).

I haven't been able to loose more than 4lbs. in over a decade! About 3 months ago, I went off all these foods (these foods are in a LOT of processed foods) and began to loose weight.

I wasn't hungry/weak/tired all the time either, so I felt like exercising everyday. I began doing the Couch to 5 K training about 2 weeks into not eating these foods. Doing these two things together has helped me loose 22lbs. in 3 months.

About a month after I went off all these foods, we discovered my son's also have food allergies.

My 17yo lost 9lbs. in one month and he's not even exercising very much (a 30 minute walk about 2 or 3 times a week is all). He's SO shocked at how he's not hungry *all* the time anymore.

Oh, and our "brain fogs" have all been lifted too!

How old are you? When I turned 35 I went through this sort of thing. Nothing about my diet changed, and I have always been a very healthy eater (whole grains if I eat carbs, lots of fruit, veggies, lean protein, and a treat of some sort almost every day, usually dark chocolate in small amounts) and I exercise regularly. I gained about 10 pounds in the span of several months.

29. Actually turned 29 a little over a month ago. :tongue_smilie: I've heard there are different points in different people's lives where their body suddenly changes. Idk, maybe that's it.

Weight gain...Sounds like me. I have multiple food allergies (gluten, caisen, soy, corn, sugar and pork).

I haven't been able to loose more than 4lbs. in over a decade! About 3 months ago, I went off all these foods (these foods are in a LOT of processed foods) and began to loose weight.

I wasn't hungry/weak/tired all the time either, so I felt like exercising everyday. I began doing the Couch to 5 K training about 2 weeks into not eating these foods. Doing these two things together has helped me loose 22lbs. in 3 months.

About a month after I went off all these foods, we discovered my son's also have food allergies.

My 17yo lost 9lbs. in one month and he's not even exercising very much (a 30 minute walk about 2 or 3 times a week is all). He's SO shocked at how he's not hungry *all* the time anymore.

Oh, and our "brain fogs" have all been lifted too!

This does kind of sound like me. I tend to be pretty tired, I guess I just thought maybe it was because I don't eat healthy enough? Not sure.

Have you had your thyroid checked? You mentioned being tired. Do you have any other symptoms? I am not a thyroid expert but many docs only test TSH and that won't give you a full or accurate picture. I think you really need Free T3 and Free t4 to get a more accurate picture, along with TSH and possibly other #s.

You are eating a very carby diet IMO. As someone with PCOS and insulin resistance, I can easily maintain my weight when I eat LC (I have never been overweight) but I could pack pounds on rapidly with carbs. Lots of people lose insulin sensitivity as they age.

Would you consider reading Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat and What to do About It? (I hate that title. It is really about insulin, etc. and the role it plays in weight gain). If you are comfy reading science-heavy stuff, his Good Calories, Bad Calories (again, terrible title but a great book) is awesome. There are quite a few Taubes fans around here :) He's great.

I hit the calorie wall at 30, sounds like you're hitting it at 29.

I could eat ANYTHING before that and not gain a pound. Now I have to be really careful.

If I ate chips and dip every day I'd gain a ton of weight - I'd probably gain at least 15 lbs just from adding that. We only ever have chips in the house if we have a party/bbq with other people. Corn chips and salsa aren't as bad - but better is to use something like Jicama to scoop the salsa up with. Salsa is actually pretty good for you....

For us ice cream is a treat - holidays and birthdays only.

That Kashi bar in the morning?? Calorie dense - bad idea. Those things might as well be candy bars. 130 calories and 35 of those are from fat.... fat free or low fat yogurt topped with Grape Nuts or something would be a better idea. Yes - you don't want to go on overkill on the dairy - but your body does need calcium to burn fat.

Also - after 30 you pretty much have to exercise to not gain weight unless you want to starve yourself. Increase your muscle mass - muscle burns a lot of calories :)

Edited by SailorMom