Menu

My turn to rant

Some day I will have the guts to say this to people to their faces.

Just because a woman is thin does not mean she starves herself. (Yes, this is a gender thing because a man is assumed to be thin due to genetics, a woman is assumed to be thin because she doesn't eat.)

Just because a woman is thin does not give you the right to say mean things to her such as:

"Ugh, you're so skinny. I hate you."

"Look at you. You must weigh like nothing."

"You're so small. You make me sick."

"Buying clothes must be easy when you're a size triple negative zero. Snort. Do you even know where the REAL women's clothes are in a store?"

"You are so thin. You're such a *itch."

"What size jeans do you wear? It makes me sick looking at you."

"Come to my house so I can feed you properly.You obviously don't know how to cook."

"My husband prefers a woman with real curves."

I've had each one of these comments made to me in the last 6 months. Trust me there are many many more.

If I ever try to join a conversation about exercise I'm laughed at and ridiculed because why would I want to lose weight? For the record, I don't want to lose weight. Exercise is not just about losing weight. It's also about good cardio health, flexibility, mental health, and muscle strengthening/gain.

Also don't talk about a thin woman's appearance/weight, while standing right next to her, and refer to her in the third person. She is RIGHT NEXT to you.

It is not okay to make "skinny people" jokes around thin women.

Seriously, can you imagine the explosion if I went around making these very same comments and acting this way toward women who are above average weight? Oh, the discrimination!

Bottom line.....just be nice! Use your manners and be a pleasant and polite person.

Don't take your bad self image or bad self esteem out on me or any other thin woman.

Maybe some people don't know this, but thin women have REAL feelings even if one does not think that she has a REAL woman's body.

Okay, so should I practice this speech in front of a mirror? I want to be prepared the next time someone at karate or the grocery store or the post office or my house says something mean or rude to me about my size.

Sigh, perhaps it's better to be the duck.

Oh, my goodness, those little speeches are awful, and causing some extremely painful flashbacks for me. :( :grouphug:

I remember a time when I would just make eye contact with the person and then very deliberately turn my back and walk away.

They don't deserve an answer, you know. And you deserve so much more than to stand there and take it. I don't care who it is. Walk off your grandmother if you have to, maybe she'll get a clue.

I'm sure you are beautiful. :grouphug:

I was gonna post my own sympathy rant, but I accidentally deleted it. So I'll just say: I agree.

And here's a totally mean and arrogant response that I would love to give (but never would in real life). "You know you'd love to have my figure." Because it's true. So quit the "we have to fatten you up" comments.

:D

:grouphug:

It's interesting that the very people who complain about media worshiping only one body type (thin) turn their venom on the women who naturally have it, instead of praising ALL body types.

:iagree::iagree:

I also just read an article about the very beautiful in Allure magazine while I took my long bath (it's my thing - weekly long bath and a girlie type magazine - leave me alone! :D ) and I have to say that I never thought about the disadvantages of being beautiful or naturally thin. I'd like to apologize on behalf of the goons who made you feel so horribly.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Finally, someone who understands me!!!

And to add to your rant...

Please don't look at my plate and roll your eyes. I will eat what I choose thank you very much.

Please don't negate any nice comments about my clothes be ending your statement with how it would look terrible on other people.

Please talk to me about something else! Anything else. I honestly don't go around thinking about my figure every day and your constant comments make me feel awkward.

Phew. I feel better now! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by LibertyH

Yeah - and don't forget how every time you go to the doctor he makes you get on the scales and then lectures you about wanting to be too thin -or not looking after yourself properly and makes you list everything you ate that day or telling you to get a blood test because he thinks your problem is cancer :glare:

And please stop giving me dirty looks when I order a salad in a restraurant - I like salads -I am not on a diet :glare:

Along those lines -I refuse ice-cream because I don't like it much and I refuse cakes and cookies because I am on a GF diet - so don't roll your eyes at me and make snide comments that I need to live a little and stop trying to be more perfect then everyone else :glare:

And it really sucks looking like a beanpole - I don't think slim is attractive -at least not on me - I think I look ill - and apparently so do other people who keep asking after my health -do you feel ok - you look drawn -you look tired :001_huh:

I have a weight problem too -but its the other end of the spectrum - please don't comment on it- thank you ;)

And here's a totally mean and arrogant response that I would love to give (but never would in real life). "You know you'd love to have my figure." Because it's true. So quit the "we have to fatten you up" comments.

I don't know. I think, said in the right tone of voice, this might be a good response. It might not go over super well, but if you say it innocently enough, it's hard for someone else to get really mad.

The person probably would not make that comment again . . .

MIL comments on my weight all the time. My thyroid condition added ~20 lbs. to what used to be my normal weight (125 at 5'7" with a small frame). MIL also makes observations like how I must not have a sweet tooth. So even though my new normal is 140-145, I'm still small enough that some people say dumb things, especially since I have five kids and am not heavy.

Real women may be curvy, flat, round, thin, fat, etc.

:D

Why do you think it's true? I can promise you that not everyone who's larger than you wishes they were your size. :001_huh:

:grouphug: I'm sorry. Comments on your weight just stink.

For 15 years, my MIL likes to compliment me on a new sweater, etc. each and every time she sees me and then say "Does that come in a *small* size too?" or "Do they make that for petite women?" or even better in the middle of a party admiring my Ergo and asking if they make those to fit skinny women too. :001_huh:

You can't win. I don't think any woman escapes the nastiness of other women. :grouphug:

Bravo! Thank you! I may be 170+ lbs now, but I had the darnest time trying to gain weight at one time. Getting above 100lbs was a challenge! Even at 140lbs, I had one lady (who was only abt 30lbs heavier) inform me that I had no place in a conversation about weight difficulties. Excuse me, but being underweight comes with its own set of health problems. I also had one male friend in highschool tell me that I had everything he wanted in a girl brain/personality wise, but that I simply did not have enough meat on my bones for him :glare: And I hate the words "skinny, slim, scrawny, stick" and any other "s" word a person comes up with.

I love you! I love you! I love you! :lol:

I also have had so many people say those exact things to me for years and years. Do they think that if they are half-laughing it won't hurt? Why have I spent years half-laughing along with them when in reality I'm offended and SICK AND TIRED of it?

My husband and I were in a mall when our youngest was about 6 - 9 months old and in the stroller. A lady walked right up to my face (seriously in the bubble) and said in a snarky voice, "I hope you adopted him." Startled I just chuckled and said, "No, 'fraid not." Then she made some smart comment about being to small for someone recently having had a baby. I just laughed and said, "Well, I have 10 and 8 year olds at home." (thinking she was just going to lighten up or move on or something) She actually just fluffed off saying something along the lines of that just made her sick. WHY? She wasn't a particularly overweight person herself.

All my life I've endured this stuff and you've reminded me that enough is enough. Rudeness is not okay no matter what. If you laugh or if you act serious, "skinny" jokes are no more cool than if I went around making "fat" jokes to someone overweight. Not cool.

Just because a woman is thin does not mean she starves herself. (Yes, this is a gender thing because a man is assumed to be thin due to genetics, a woman is assumed to be thin because she doesn't eat.)

Just because a woman is thin does not give you the right to say mean things to her such as:

"Buying clothes must be easy when you're a size triple negative zero. Snort. Do you even know where the REAL women's clothes are in a store?"

"Come to my house so I can feed you properly.You obviously don't know how to cook."

I've had each one of these comments made to me in the last 6 months. Trust me there are many many more.

If I ever try to join a conversation about exercise I'm laughed at and ridiculed because why would I want to lose weight? For the record, I don't want to lose weight. Exercise is not just about losing weight. It's also about good cardio health, flexibility, mental health, and muscle strengthening/gain.

Also don't talk about a thin woman's appearance/weight, while standing right next to her, and refer to her in the third person. She is RIGHT NEXT to you.

Seriously, can you imagine the explosion if I went around making these very same comments and acting this way toward women who are above average weight? Oh, the discrimination!

Bottom line.....just be nice! Use your manners and be a pleasant and polite person.

Don't take your bad self image or bad self esteem out on me or any other thin woman.

Maybe some people don't know this, but thin women have REAL feelings even if one does not think that she has a REAL woman's body.

Okay, so should I practice this speech in front of a mirror? I want to be prepared the next time someone at karate or the grocery store or the post office or my house says something mean or rude to me about my size.

I totally agree! Everytime I go to the doctor and step on the scale the medical assistant/nurse makes me get off the scale and she makes sure it's working correctly and I have to get back on again. And the doctor will ask me if I have any problems eating, etc. Ummm, no! I'm 5'2" and weigh 87 lbs. That's what I've weighed since I was a teen.

I feel your pain sister. Almost everytime I mention I'm cold, someone will tell me to put some meat on my bones. It gets old after a while. I lost quite a few pounds when I was sick and my Dr. insisted something was wrong with my thyroid. I wish I could come up with a witty comment although I do like bless your heart, aren't you sweet.

:grouphug:

maybe point out to these cretins that exercise is about CARDIOVASCULAR well-being and muscle strengthening (which strengthens the bones) as well as weight and thin people can still be extremely out of shape.

My paternal grandmother was always very thin - she also had horrible osteoporosis in her later years. since I only knew her when she was teeny-tiny, I had no idea she'd been *tall* in her younger years. she lost a *lot* of height due to bone deterioration.

oh, for the woman who said her husband preferred women with "real curves" - a good response could be 'Well, he should be happy he's married to you.' ;)

Edited by gardenmom5

I have to say that I never thought about the disadvantages of being beautiful or naturally thin. I'd like to apologize on behalf of the goons who made you feel so horribly.

I think the issue is that even people who "mean well" will make those comments (OP listed) with a laugh, as if they're supposed to then be compliments.

I'm not so thin anymore, after 4 babies, but I'm still thinnish... and I still get people making comments (maybe moreso now, even though I'm not as thin as I was when I was younger, b/c I have 4 kids and I'm middle-aged... so now it's like they "expect" one to put on weight).

I really don't think weight matters, beyond health and self-esteem. If you are comfortable with yourself and you are healthy, no matter what your size, why do people have to comment at all?

Women really can't win on this issue. Years ago I was very thin. I ate all the time, I ate poorly and I ate so much that people were shocked when they saw how much I consumed. I was often teased because I was so ridiculously thin. I tried to donate blood in college and they said I didn't weigh enough! Over the years, I've had many pregnancies and medical issues that caused a great amount of weight gain in a fairly short amount of time. I'm now overweight and people comment on that too. If I had to choose, I'd rather be thin, but people comment on body type either way.

I'm very worried about the comments my second dd may face. She is very, very thin (3% for weight and 30% for height). Lycra leggings are baggy on her. She does not have an eating disorder. She is actually a better eater than most of my other kids. She simply has a tiny frame. My fourth dd is built the same way. She eats a ton, often finishing her sisters' plates if they leave food. :tongue_smilie:

I do not want my dds to be self-conscious of their bodies' shapes and sizes. I want them to be comfortable in their own skins and healthy. I'm sure some of my dds will be six feet tall or taller (dh's sisters are over six feet and his dad is nearly seven feet) while others might barely top five feet.

Women just cannot win.

If they're slender, ppl make snarky comments.

If they're curvy, ppl make snarky comments.

I'm on the curvy side. You wouldn't believe the ppl that think it's ok to comment on it.

What really blows my mind is that I've been getting snarky comments b/c Baby Boo isn't 6 wks old yet, and I've been wearing my regular jeans for wks now...and I hear snarky comments. I've had a comment about how if I'd been eating properly for the baby, rather than worried about my weight, I wouldn't be in regular jeans yet. Seriously!

And as for the 'real woman' comment, use my comeback..."Do I LOOK imaginary to you?!"

I don't get the "my husband prefers..." line.

Why would I care if YOUR husband likes MY body? :001_rolleyes:

I get these comments too. My mom is rail thin, and I have always been pretty slender, although I do have a round, um, backside. lol Recently, I have gained some weight, but nothing substantial, maybe 5-7lbs. One friend told me that she was glad that I finally put some weight on because I was just "too skinny" before. :glare:

I've gotten the snarky comments about my weight after pregnancy too. Body types are different, I shouldn't have to apologize because mine is different than yours.

Why do you think it's true? I can promise you that not everyone who's larger than you wishes they were your size. :001_huh:

No, not everyone who is larger than me. But people who make it a point to comment on my size (which is actually spot on "ideal," not "skinny") are obviously concerned about weight and are comparing themselves to me. And I've been around long enough to know which body type they'd rather have. The person who made the "we need to fatten you up" comment had just gotten done packing half of her restaurant meal because she is trying to diet.

I would never in a million years comment about someone's weight. I'm even afraid to comment when it looks like someone has been successfully dieting, because - what if my observation is wrong, or is correct but still not welcome? Yet because I am not heavy, apparently it's OK to comment on my weight all day and night.

No, not everyone who is larger than me. But people who make it a point to comment on my size (which is actually spot on "ideal," not "skinny") are obviously concerned about weight and are comparing themselves to me. And I've been around long enough to know which body type they'd rather have. The person who made the "we need to fatten you up" comment had just gotten done packing half of her restaurant meal because she is trying to diet.

I would never in a million years comment about someone's weight. I'm even afraid to comment when it looks like someone has been successfully dieting, because - what if my observation is wrong, or is correct but still not welcome? Yet because I am not heavy, apparently it's OK to comment on my weight all day and night.

OK, you know someone was going to ask... How skinny are you? :D

I have gotten the "my husband prefers a woman with real curves" comments, too, and one woman was so snotty about it, I responded by saying, "Well, I should hope so; otherwise he'd never have looked twice at you. My husband likes curves, too -- but he likes much smaller and firmer curves than you have."

I know.

It was mean and catty.

But she was mean and catty first. :tongue_smilie:

I usually just let it go, but that one time, I just couldn't.

The funny thing is, I never talk about my weight or what size I wear. I rarely even step on a scale. I don't think it's a big deal that I tend to be slim, because I didn't do anything to get that way, and I don't do anything to stay that way. It's genetics, pure and simple. I can't take credit for it, and I don't apologize for it, so I don't know why anyone would bother to comment on my size. I don't think better or worse of anyone because they are thinner or heavier. Either they are nice or they are not nice. Period.

But some people are just rude, I guess. One thing that cracks me up is the women who have said that if I gained some weight, I might get bigger b**bs. Because apparently mine are seriously lacking. :glare: It's so nice that they're trying to be helpful... :tongue_smilie:

Personally, I think women should do their best to be happy with the way they look, and try to give other women a break. We all have flaws, but it's not nice to point them out. We know what they are. We're hoping you don't notice. So pretend you don't notice. Be supportive. And if you're envious of someone for something, remember that she's probably envious of you for something, too. So don't get all snarky. Let it go. Play nicely.

Sorry to rant, but it really bugs me when women are so hard on other women.

Edited by Catwoman

Everytime I go to the doctor and step on the scale the medical assistant/nurse makes me get off the scale and she makes sure it's working correctly and I have to get back on again.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I feel your pain - I always wear a ton of clothes when I go to the doctor to try and make myself heavier. I get really embarrassed when I step on the scale and the doctor frowns -looks up my chart and shakes his head.

One time I had to get my 2yo weighed and he wouldn't stand on the scale so the nurse asked me to get on and hold him and then weigh myself alone so they could subtract my weight and find out his. The nurse did a double take when she saw how much I weighed and made me get on it twice - I was so embarressed - I felt like I had been caught with my fingers down my throat KWIM.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I was p*ssed recently when some morons, who I really do like and enjoy, didn't realize how inappropriate it was to state how leggings were so immodest, this while we were out with our youth and my dd was in leggings. My dd wears leggings because she's SO rail thin and tall. It's SO impossibly difficult to find her jeans to fit. She has some ultra skinny jeans from the Gap that fit, but we bought those last year and now they're too short! Either she looks ridiculous with jeans way too big, even with adjustable waists, or she wears jeans too short (YEAH for winter and BOOTS to tuck pants into!), or she wears leggings.

And sometimes it's hard to find tops long enough to cover the bottom. WE try, we really do. You just keep on judging all you normal body types.:glare:

Get over yourselves.

:leaving:

I was p*ssed recently when some morons, who I really do like and enjoy, didn't realize how inappropriate it was to state how leggings were so immodest, this while we were out with our youth and my dd was in leggings.

I'm guessing that she wasn't wearing fishnet leggings with lucite stripper shoes... because if she was, maybe that whole "immodest" thing might sort of apply... ;)

Honestly, some people have nothing better to do than create a problem where none exists.

They are probably envious because your dd looks really cute in the leggings.

I feel your pain! In addition to some of the above, my audiology professor added, "Even your ear canals are tiny!" :001_huh: :lol:

But I showed them! I had five kids, hit middle age, and gained 35 pounds!

So there! :lol:

:glare:

Sounds familiar! :lol:

I heard all of the remarks in the OP. I had someone say to me "Do you ever eat?" I get it. It's hurtful and rude.

I gained weight after my 4th kid and need to lose some now after my 5th so now I see what it feels like to be on the other side. It does not make it okay to be rude to a slim person. But I think people who make those remarks are jealous and feel insecure about their appearance and that comes out meaner than they had intended, perhaps.

But I still remember when I was in my teens and wouldn't shop w my girlfriends because they made fun of the fact that I had to wear size 0 jeans. It's just as hurtful as making fun of a big size and I never got why people thought it was okay either.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Our youngest is a stick figure, people can be so stupid. They think skinny means no self esteem issues. SO not the case.

OK, you know someone was going to ask... How skinny are you? :D

Sorry to rant, but it really bugs me when women are so hard on other women.

I am 5'5.5" and about 128 lbs. Actually I should be 125 lbs, but during this time of the year I have too many birthdays and holidays. My jeans are size 8. So, not skinny. But certain heavy people feel the need to "fatten me up" etc. Can you imagine if I told them they need to slim down?

I agree with your final comment. Women are their own worst enemies.

Women just cannot win.

If they're slender, ppl make snarky comments.

If they're curvy, ppl make snarky comments.

I'm on the curvy side. You wouldn't believe the ppl that think it's ok to comment on it.

What really blows my mind is that I've been getting snarky comments b/c Baby Boo isn't 6 wks old yet, and I've been wearing my regular jeans for wks now...and I hear snarky comments. I've had a comment about how if I'd been eating properly for the baby, rather than worried about my weight, I wouldn't be in regular jeans yet. Seriously!

And as for the 'real woman' comment, use my comeback..."Do I LOOK imaginary to you?!"

1. I hate you because it took more than a year to get back in regularly sized clothes.

2. I like that comeback although I will never have occasion to use it. How sad.

I used to get the same comments (I was 5'2" and weighed 95 or so). One woman made a nasty comment about my size when she was introduced to me the day I started my first real job. I was already nervous and feeling self-conscious as the new girl. If her intent was to knock me down, she succeeded. I don't think it really had anything to do with me, though. Her comment was directed more to herself than to me. Some people aren't able to feel confident about themselves unless they tear others down.

I am in a normal weight range now and though I'm still a small size, I'm not so small that people only see my weight when they look at me. I don't miss that at all.

I get all of those comments too and I just nod and smile...my nicknames as a kid in my family were "worm," and something so offensive that I won't post it but it referred to starving African children. I determine to believe that the people do not mean to offend and so I almost always choose not to be offended. I know it is hurtful and insensitive and I would never say anything like that to anyone. I really don't think most people are trying to be hurtful or make anyone feel bad. I believe they truly have not considered that what they are saying is rude or would be perceived as an insult. It's just making brainless conversation.

I'll admit to asking my friends sometimes if something I like will come in my size. I'm not trying to be snarky. I saw a comment about that earlier and never considered it would be rude. Like with the Ergo...it doesn't fit me at all. I had to order a custom mei tai and a child sized pouch for my kids and I feel lucky to have found them. I had some friends who were nice enough to let me try their Ergos and other carriers on before I bought one so I could be sure that they were too big. I wasn't trying to rub anything in or be rude and I hope it didn't bother them. Similarly, if someone has something else I like, I may ask if the store carries anything in my size. I only ask because most of the times they don't.

I'm 5"2, weight varies between 97-105 usually, and I look young. I have 4 kids and am so tired of the random comments too. Turns out, the reason I can't gain weight is because I have autoimmune diseases and hyperthyroid. I get all the time that I'm not old enough or big enough to have 4 kids. I appreciate the comments that I look good, but not the ones about being so skinny and what not. I would love to have the energy to work out, and I look super skinny also b/c autoimmune diseases eat away at muscle mass. So, I'm skinny fat basically...I'm flabby b/c I have no muscle. I have floppy arms and a muffin top waist b/c I'm all skin. And for some reason, they're jealous?! LOL I cna't find clothes that fit b/c I'm not big enough for women's sizes, and I fit in junior sizes but they look like kid clothes and I already look young. It's pathetic. I can't wait to work out for the health benefits you mentioned and gain some muscle and weight. And maybe finally fit in "real" clothes.

I am no longer skinny, but spent most of my life being very thin without trying (I was quite a big eater too). I've heard all of the comments you posted and they always bothered me. I even had a teacher (a nun) who used me for skinny jokes when I was in elementary school. Two examples:

Do you have to run around in the shower to get wet?

If you stand sideways and stick out your tongue, you look like a zipper.

My mom actually went to the school and asked her to stop because it upset me so much (I was a sensitive kid).

I admit I miss my thinner days, but not the comments. "You're so skinny. I hate you." was the most common one.