Menu

So. Mr. M-mv gave me an iPad 2. Now what?

-M-

I've synced it, updated its software, downloaded the Kindle app and the wonderful "Star Walk" app, sent a couple of texts to Aunt M-mv's iPhone, and, yes, installed "Angry Birds."

There must be more to this than that.

Educate me.

What apps do autodidacts need? What is this thing really for? Why do the photos I've taken with it seem fuzzy? Can I text someone who doesn't have an iPhone? How? Why is "Angry Birds" so durned popular? Why is my Kindle crying?

As always, many thanks in advance for your replies. I appreciate your help.

Did you do th iOS 5 upgrade? If not, you should do it before loading a bunch of stuff.

The iPad 2 is a much better video camera than camera. It was designed specifically that way because most people have smartphones that take good pictures. The only pictures I have taken that turn out well are outside in bright sunlight. Videos on the other hand always turn out great and I love the iMovie app for editing them.

The next step is to search for the many recent threads that list everyone's favorite apps for school and fun. There have been many and I've downloaded about 40 apps after reading them.

Here's a few good ones off the top of my head..

Notability

Brainpop

This day in history

Math bingo

Stack the states

Presidents vs aliens

Stack the countries

Monopoly hd which is normally $10 is free today

Scrabble

Sat question of the day

Sat vocab free

Art puzzles

Word wit

Geomaster puzzles

Singapore math

Star walk

Netflix

abc, NBC & TNT all have apps that let you watch shows on the iPad

Don't forget to try FaceTime or Skype

Teamviewer or splash top are apps that allow you to access your desktop remotely, my laptop hasn't left the office since I got the ipad

That should keep you busy for a while:lol:

I have only the lowly 1, but I use it as my web surfing toy, for listening to audible audio books--we live 1/2 hour from everything--and for reading my email. Primarily, I use it as a web surfing iPod.:D the games don't do it for me, and the reading function is not my favorite--unless I am dying to read something, I prefer a real book.

I've synced it, updated its software, downloaded the Kindle app and the wonderful "Star Walk" app, sent a couple of texts to Aunt M-mv's iPhone, and, yes, installed "Angry Birds."

There must be more to this than that.

Educate me.

What apps do autodidacts need? What is this thing really for? Why do the photos I've taken with it seem fuzzy? Can I text someone who doesn't have an iPhone? How? Why is "Angry Birds" so durned popular? Why is my Kindle crying?

As always, many thanks in advance for your replies. I appreciate your help.

Well, Pages is nice if you like working with a Word-like program.

I have a couple of newspapers on mine. There are quite a few board games you can get - they're nice for when you're out and about and have some time to kill - especially if you've got a couple of other people who can play with you. I like the menu-planning app Pepper Plate. Flixster is neat to keep track of upcoming movies, DVD releases, and to find out what the local theatre is playing and when.

I think most of the cool apps we have are for the kids - I haven't really looked for a lot for myself yet. I use Pages a lot, I use the iPad for my general internet use, for email, for reading the occasional e-book, and for FB.

PDF Expert (kind of expensive at $10) but I like this for yping out legal forms and Notability for writing on PDFs.

Where's the Water (even DH is hooked on this game and a friend wouldn't let go of my iPad when I let her play it)

Ana Lomba stories in Spanish, French, Chinese, just the books about a red hen are free, and the app allows you to toggle between the foreign language and English

iStory has a free French children's book for free (Je suis qui moi?) if you are teaching French

iStart has a few language selections at just $4.99.