Menu

CLE with new studen questions

homefront

I'm blessed to add a first grader to our homeschool. His mom wanted something simple so its easier for her to take over when she gets the chance. This is my first time working with CLE. We started him off at the very beginning of LTR and I'm now seeing the reasoning to start at the beginning. My question is about doubling up lessons so he can finishes the program this school year. Is it wise? If so should lessons be back to back or like I'm planning, one in the morning and one after lunch. He a bright little boy with a few issues.

Mom wanted him to start at the beginning of the math too but I took on look at it and bumped him up to LU 105. He doesn't understand clocks at all but the rest of the work is still on the easy side. I'm supplementing a clock study. I folded him into our group and we do math for a set amount of time. Right now he get between two to three lessons done in 25 min plus skip counting and fact flash cards. (If you exclude the clocks he getting 100% with the random backwards six) I'm going to let him keep going like this as long as he is getting at least one lesson done. Are the programs indepent from each other to let him keep going like this or do I need to talk mom into another math program.

As long as he's understanding what's happening, I see no reason not to double up lessons at least some of the time. I have for my guys whenever the work was easy. If there is just too much busywork in the beginning, I would just skip some of the pages as well. I remember pages and pages of letter sounds that were very easy. We would do half.

The biggest key is to not bog him down in paperwork or too much new information at once while picking up the pace.

Good luck.