Menu

Can I please have some opinions on comparing rightstart and horizons?

hsmom

We currently use rightstart. Now I have been looking into Horizons, it looks good. Can anyone give me some comparison here?

thank you so much

I haven't used Horizons, but mostly because I can't get over how it can change what topic you are covering 3+ times on one page. Mastery is the only thing that makes sense to me, and it even bugs me when RS jumps from the topic at hand to some abstract geometry thing. :001_huh: If you and your child are fine with the change of topics, then everything I hear says it is a solid program. My friends who uses it says you do need to make sure to do all the activities in the TM, and not just the workbook.

Heather (Hopefully my post will bump you up and get you more traffic.)

It is not that it doesn't work for us. It really does. I am looking for something that we can possibly add here and there, for those days that life gets hectic and I cannot sit down and do a full lesson of rightstart. I love rightstart.

I need something in the house that is easy enough for him to do himself sometimes. Does that make sense? If you have any other suggestions I am all ears.

I need something in the house that is easy enough for him to do himself sometimes. Does that make sense? If you have any other suggestions I am all ears.

I would say Singapore! :D Singapore is based on the same base 10 methodology, and it is mostly mastery. When it covers a topic stays on that topic till it is finished, with the exception of the review sections, which will review all that has been in the book to date. The only complication is Singapore will start with simple addition and subtraction (1A) then do move to double diget addition and subtraction and multiplication (demonstrated as addition as well) (1B) then continue to cover multiple topics each year. That is why I said mostly mastery.

But if you want something even simpler maybe Mammon Math? I think you can just buy specific topics, download them and print out worksheets. Sounds like something that might work better for you.

Blessings,

Heather

My dd7 has used Horizons Math 1, 2 & is just starting 3. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for. I didn't know about RS math when we started homeschooling so I combined Singapore & Horizons. With my younger dd I am combining Horizons K & RS A right now.

With RightStart or Singapore, I have to explain (teach) the lessons daily. I only buy the Horizons workbooks (not the teacher's guide). I can hand my dd7 the Horizons worksheet for the day and she can do it without any explanation from me. I love it! It helps me feel confident that dd is getting daily math practice with NO time required of me. Meanwhile, I try to teach the deeper understanding of math with Singapore or RS on a daily basis, BUT if something comes up (as can happen in life!), and I don't get to the RS or Singapore lesson for the day, she's still getting her math done in the form of Horizons.

It may be an odd approach, but it gives me peace of mind and works well for us! Best of luck!

You might find it easier to use BJU as a supplement, since BJU is similar conceptually and has just one topic to the lesson. BJU has the main student workbook and then supplemental workbooks. In the newest edition (out now only for the lower grades) those supplemental workbooks are reformatted a bit and now come on a cd included with the tm, which is cool too. If you look through their website http://www.bjup.com you can see samples of the different types to see what might be the thing for him.