Menu

Who is your favorite Austen male?

Who is your favorite Jane Austen male?  

1. 1. Who is your favorite Jane Austen male?

• Henry Tilney (Northanger Abbey)
    • Edmund Bertram (Mansfield Park)
    • George Knightley (Emma)
    • Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice)
    • Charles Bingley (Pride & Prejudice)
    • Colonel Brandon (Sense & Sensibility)
    • Edward Ferrars (Sense & Sensibility)
    • Captain Wentworth (Persuasion)
    • John Willoughby (Sense & Sensibility)
    • Other.

I dont understand the love for Mr. Knightley. Can someone explain? Sure he was good-natured and a thorough gentleman, but so was Bingley for example.

Personally, I disliked Emma. Also the fact that Knightley practically saw Emma grow up in front of him took the charm away from the love story for me.

I dont understand the love for Mr. Knightley. Can someone explain? Sure he was good-natured and a thorough gentleman, but so was Bingley for example.

Personally, I disliked Emma. Also the fact that Knightley practically saw Emma grow up in front of him took the charm away from the love story for me.

Bingley was easily swayed and Knightley was constant. Knightley was never full of himself and was kind to all, regardless of social class. Indeed, he made a point to be especially kind to those of the lower class and encouraged Emma to do so as well. His speech to her, scolding her for being rude to Mrs. Bates and telling her "badly done" is probably my favorite part of the book. He is a gentleman at all times, yes, but even more than that, he expects the best from those he loves. (What a gift it would be to the world if everyone had such a person in life!) He expects better of people and encourages improvement in character. I could have done without the age difference but the fact that he is older and wiser is perhaps what causes Emma to grow and stretch more than she would otherwise.

Also, he reminds me of my DH, who is known to be a perfect gentleman as well. :D

Darcy gets the blood boiling, that's for sure. But for me, I like constancy and calm.

"I cannot see you acting wrong, without a remonstrance. How could you be so unfeeling to Miss Bates? How could you be so insolent in your wit to a woman of her character, age, and situation?-- Emma, I had not thought it possible."

"This is not pleasant to you, Emma--and it is very far from pleasant to me; but I must, I will,--I will tell you truths while I can; satisfied with proving myself your friend by very faithful counsel, and trusting that you will some time or other do me greater justice than you can do now."

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Bingley was easily swayed and Knightley was constant. Knightley was never full of himself and was kind to all, regardless of social class. Indeed, he made a point to be especially kind to those of the lower class and encouraged Emma to do so as well. His speech to her, scolding her for being rude to Mrs. Bates and telling her "badly done" is probably my favorite part of the book. He is a gentleman at all times, yes, but even more than that, he expects the best from those he loves. (What a gift it would be to the world if everyone had such a person in life!) He expects better of people and encourages improvement in character. I could have done without the age difference but the fact that he is older and wiser is perhaps what causes Emma to grow and stretch more than she would otherwise.

Also, he reminds me of my DH, who is known to be a perfect gentleman as well. :D

Darcy gets the blood boiling, that's for sure. But for me, I like constancy and calm.

"I cannot see you acting wrong, without a remonstrance. How could you be so unfeeling to Miss Bates? How could you be so insolent in your wit to a woman of her character, age, and situation?-- Emma, I had not thought it possible."

"This is not pleasant to you, Emma--and it is very far from pleasant to me; but I must, I will,--I will tell you truths while I can; satisfied with proving myself your friend by very faithful counsel, and trusting that you will some time or other do me greater justice than you can do now."

Thank you for explaining. But I think you just confirmed why I dislike the Knightley-Emma relationship :D. It seems so unequal and that he has to scold her seems so paternal.

Elizabeth on the other hand is my favourite heroine ever - someone who I aspire to be like, even. The fact that she could spar with Darcy and get him on her terms appeals to me very much.

Thank you for explaining. But I think you just confirmed why I dislike the Knightley-Emma relationship :D. It seems so unequal and that he has to scold her seems so paternal.

Absolutely. That's why he should be with ME instead of HER. I am so much more sensible! His taste in women is his only flaw. Alas...

Rosie

Elizabeth on the other hand is my favourite heroine ever - someone who I aspire to be like, even. The fact that she could spar with Darcy and get him on her terms appeals to me very much.

OK, well first I must address the fact that the poll was for favorite Austen male. :D We agree on Elizabeth being the favorite heroine. She wins hands-down in my mind. Emma is far from being my favorite, but she does improve, which is something.

On the matter of Knightley, that passage could definitely be viewed by some as paternal (although the rest of their conversations contain traditional back-and-forth and some verbal sparring and quips). I choose to view this passage as I believe it was intended, one friend being completely, brutally honest with another (which is, to me, possibly the most valuable aspect of a good friendship).

One could argue that the relationship between Knightley and Emma is more equal than that between Darcy and Elizabeth solely due to the fact that he felt he could speak his mind and say exactly what he thought. Darcy couldn't do that (or never thought he could, due to his prejudice...or was his the pride? :lol:). Indeed, the relationship between Elizabeth and Darcy, until the triumphant end, was predicated on their unequal status. Yes, Elizabeth held her own (she's my favorite and I adore her!) but there was no relationship until the end, equal or otherwise. And while I do secretly swoon for Mr. Darcy along with Elizabeth, he would never be my choice over Knightley, who is constant and modest.

But it's OK to disagree. :tongue_smilie:

OK, well first I must address the fact that the poll was for favorite Austen male. :D We agree on Elizabeth being the favorite heroine. She wins hands-down in my mind. Emma is far from being my favorite, but she does improve, which is something.

On the matter of Knightley, that passage could definitely be viewed by some as paternal (although the rest of their conversations contain traditional back-and-forth and some verbal sparring and quips). I choose to view this passage as I believe it was intended, one friend being completely, brutally honest with another (which is, to me, possibly the most valuable aspect of a good friendship).

One could argue that the relationship between Knightley and Emma is more equal than that between Darcy and Elizabeth solely due to the fact that he felt he could speak his mind and say exactly what he thought. Darcy couldn't do that (or never thought he could, due to his prejudice...or was his the pride? :lol:). Indeed, the relationship between Elizabeth and Darcy, until the triumphant end, was predicated on their unequal status. Yes, Elizabeth held her own (she's my favorite and I adore her!) but there was no relationship until the end, equal or otherwise. And while I do secretly swoon for Mr. Darcy along with Elizabeth, he would never be my choice over Knightley, who is constant and modest.

But it's OK to disagree. :tongue_smilie:

I can certainly see your point. It inspires me, if nothing else, to read the novel again. I must admit I read it only once and thoroughly disliked it. :)

Perhaps this time, I will pay more attention to Mr. Knightley.

I can certainly see your point. It inspires me, if nothing else, to read the novel again. I must admit I read it only once and thoroughly disliked it. :)

Perhaps this time, I will pay more attention to Mr. Knightley.

I don't like the novel either, but I almost did like listening to the audio download from Librivox. Or you could just watch a movie and get it done! I've only seen the Gwenyth Paltrow version, but mmm, Mr Knightley :001_wub:

Rosie