Menu

Who is your favorite Austen male?

Who is your favorite Jane Austen male?  

1. 1. Who is your favorite Jane Austen male?

• Henry Tilney (Northanger Abbey)
    • Edmund Bertram (Mansfield Park)
    • George Knightley (Emma)
    • Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice)
    • Charles Bingley (Pride & Prejudice)
    • Colonel Brandon (Sense & Sensibility)
    • Edward Ferrars (Sense & Sensibility)
    • Captain Wentworth (Persuasion)
    • John Willoughby (Sense & Sensibility)
    • Other.

I have always been a Knightly/Darcy kind of girl. However, the older I get, the more Bingley appeals to me. I'm overlooking his weakness and is willingness to give into "well meaning" siblings and friends. Focusing instead on his pleasant, ready to be pleased with the world personality. Perhaps its living with preteens and a preschooler.

The 10th Doctor for a fling, Mr Knightley for keeps. :D

Mr Knightley is practically perfect, though he has bad taste in women. Emma bugs me.

Rosie

Oh, Rosie. I like the way you think! Mr. Knightley gets my vote, too.

We may have to thumb wrestle for the 10th Doctor. He's not having a fling with anyone but ME :D!

I don't know how I hit Col. Brandon (though I LOVE Alan Rickman's Brandon) when I meant to vote for Captain Wentworth. If we're talking about paternal, I think Mr. Knightly is a bit paternal though he really loves Emma (why?). Colin Firth aside, Mr. Darcy is too sullen for my taste, and most of her other male characters I agree aren't very manly.

Captain Wentworth!

Eta:

I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in

F. W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I have a hard time with Darcy; he seems like a jerk for so long that it's hard for me to forget. Then suddenly at his house, he's a different person.

I love Mr. Knightley. I think he does struggle between loving Emma as a woman and thinking of her as a little girl needing his guidance. Hopefully that all gets worked out when they're married. :001_smile: But he's good to everyone, not conceited, discerning and sees people as they are, despite their position (high or low). And the actors who have played him in my two favorite movie versions -- well, :001_wub: .

I do like Edmund a lot, although it says something about his character that he could have been in love Miss Crawford at all. But let's assume that was an aberration or hormones or something. The rest of his character is excellent.

Wendi

I really do love Wentworth. However, IMO, it is Darcy who goes to extraordinary lengths to put an error to rights. That's heroic. Plus there is an air of unattainable mystery about him at times. Yeah, he's my number one choice.

Now put him in a poll against Aragorn, and I'll prove fickle in a heartbeat!

I needed another name to put up. Should I have chosen Collins? :lol: Willoughby has passion going for him, but he is selfish and unreliable. Poor Beth.

Collins seriously wins the Award for Creepiest Suitor and the Guy Most Likely to Make You Consider a Convent, Even if You Are Not Catholic. :D

I really do love Wentworth. However, IMO, it is Darcy who goes to extraordinary lengths to put an error to rights. That's heroic. Plus there is an air of unattainable mystery about him at times. Yeah, he's my number one choice.

I don't know that Darcy has the sort of forgiveness in him that is shown by Captain Wentworth. I find that more heroic than realizing you can't be a jerk to everyone and still have them falling all over themselves to please you.

I know we all love Colin Firth, but is Mr. Darcy your favorite? Poll coming!

The only reason it's ok to answer anything other than Captain Wentworth is that I'm not willing to share.

Not only is Ciaran Hinds wonderful, but the character is wonderful. Really a naval officer. :svengo:

I don't know that Darcy has the sort of forgiveness in him that is shown by Captain Wentworth. I find that more heroic than realizing you can't be a jerk to everyone and still have them falling all over themselves to please you.

Excellent point! As Rhonda in TX noted, we do get to see Darcy grow and change through the course of the story. On the other hand, Wentworth shows us the very best of devotion and quiet passion... Mrs M, you make me think too hard. I'll take 'em both. :D

FWIW, I do love Mr. Knightly. I'd like him to be my dad or brother, though, not my leading man. Anyway, he's too good for Emma.

:auto:(dodging possible tomatoes!)

Excellent point! As Rhonda in TX noted, we do get to see Darcy grow and change through the course of the story. On the other hand, Wentworth shows us the very best of devotion and quiet passion... Mrs M, you make me think too hard. I'll take 'em both. :D

Oooh, taking them both is an option? Yes, please.

He might be the only thing that could redeem Jayne Eyre. I hate the Rochester character. Like loathe him.

I love how Hinds plays the final scenes as the now-blind Rochester in Jane Eyre. I can see the loathing for the character, and in what he does, but at the same time do understand the helplessness and frustration he feels in the given situation. He was tricked by people with selfish intentions, and as a result robbed of his freedom to love the one he wants to love truly. He deals with it as able, as nobly as he knows how, until the one he wants to love comes along. Then black and white becomes gray, and he has a hard time navigating the gray. He certainly does do a poor job of it at times.

Rochester. Oh, wait, I mean Capt. Wentworth. Okay, okay, I really mean Ciaran Hinds. :D

Oh, YES! Capt. Wentworth is by far my favorite and Ciaran Hinds is just the man to carry off that role (and Rochester). Colin Firth in both Darcy (P&P and Bridget Jones's Diary)rolls is dreamy too, but Darcy is a little too uppity for my taste.

Capt. Wentworth! He would tolerate my screw ups! That's sexy.

Good point. I think my ranking is this:

1. Darcy because he demonstrates an ability to grow and change. He also tries to fix his mistakes. He is one of Austen's younger heroes.

2. Wentworth because he forgives and is loyal.

3. Knightly because he is such a gentleman to everyone and he expects the best out of his friends.

4. Brandon because he is so devoted and attentive.

I wouldn't take Tilney, Edmund, or Edward.

Edmund is the one I'd most like to punch in the nose.

Yeah. What a prig. But I think I'd like to punch Tilney in the nose too. I listened to the audiobook not long ago, not having read it at all before, and I thought he spent too much time in almost mind games, omitting information that he could have chosen to share. Did anyone else feel this way, or is it just because I'm not familiar with the tale after only one experience of it?

We may have to thumb wrestle for the 10th Doctor. He's not having a fling with anyone but ME :D!

Alas, we are both too late... It was all Rose, Rose, Rose and alas, I am a Rosie. That extra vowel ruined all my opportunities. *swoon*

Rosie

Now put him in a poll against Aragorn, and I'll prove fickle in a heartbeat!

:lol::lol: I just came to post EXACTLY the same thing! Darcy wins this poll, but I want to vote for Aragorn as a write-in! :001_wub:

I'm fresh off a re-read of Emma, so I vote Knightley. Do wonder about his taste in women, though. But Emma learns and grows, so hopefully she doesn't do too bad as the mistress of Donwell Abbey (once Papa is carried off in an apoplectic fit over the thickness of his basin of gruel).

Darcy...I like him in the end, but he's just so unlikeable for most of the story!

Colonel Brandon, I loved Alan Rickman's portrayal. Sigh... But I'd definitely take Knightley over him.