Menu

Son going to first sleepover with family's first sleep over

1) Mom sounds a bit worried ("I don't have any plans because I've never done this before.") She was going to have them invade the front room, watch movies and eat junk food. Beside a sleeping bag, is there something I should send kiddo with that will help the hostess?

2) Kiddo won't eat meat or fried eggs. Should I send some boxes of cereal? Pickup is 11 am and kiddo will be starved if he doesn't have brekkie.

3) Also, I don't know her boy (and have never met her, either, as these are friends of hubby.) When asked what he likes, she said "everything", but that he especially loves Legos, but they have TOO many already. What would a Lego-loving boy like? He'll be turning 10.

Thanks!

I wouldn't let my DC sleep over with someone I had never met, especially not for his first sleepover. What if he gets uncomfortable; will she call you to come pick him up at 1am if necessary?

If you knew and trusted the ramily I would say I don't think you need to send anything. The boys will entertain themselves and he will get something to eat.

I wouldn't let my DC sleep over with someone I had never met, especially not for his first sleepover.

Would your hubby say this? Hubby is the SAHparent, and he knows all these people, I don't.

Kiddo won't get scared. About a year ago he became so brave it is scary.

I don't think kiddo would eat cinnamon rolls. Too sweet. However, I could bake some bread and send it along. Who is offended by homemade bread?

I don't think kiddo would eat cinnamon rolls. Too sweet. However, I could bake some bread and send it along. Who is offended by homemade bread?

Bread is a great idea. That way they don't have to worry about feeding a picky eater. I'm never offended when people send food to my house!

1) Mom sounds a bit worried ("I don't have any plans because I've never done this before.") She was going to have them invade the front room, watch movies and eat junk food. Beside a sleeping bag, is there something I should send kiddo with that will help the hostess?

2) Kiddo won't eat meat or fried eggs. Should I send some boxes of cereal? Pickup is 11 am and kiddo will be starved if he doesn't have brekkie.

3) Also, I don't know her boy (and have never met her, either, as these are friends of hubby.) When asked what he likes, she said "everything", but that he especially loves Legos, but they have TOO many already. What would a Lego-loving boy like? He'll be turning 10.

Thanks!

1. Any non-sugary snack food would be fine. If you sent board games, pieces may get lost. If you send sugary things (on top of what she may already have), they could get too wound-up to sleep.

2. Bread, as mentioned, is a good idea. Cereal, just one box, is also alright. Several boxes of granola/cereal bars is ok, too, but they might get eaten the night before, though.

3. Take kiddo with you to the store and let him pick it. The child sounds as if he is easy-going, so whatever Kiddo picks out that is within your budget should work (or just get a Lego set).

I do usually send my boys to sleepovers with a bag of cereal and a box of raisins each in their sacks... just in case they need an emergency snack. Don't forget pillow or toothbrush.

The first time my boys slept over, the hosts stuck the baby monitor in the adjacent bathroom with the door open, in case there were issues and to spy on the lot of them. Around 3 am, the mom heard my ds head in, use the bathroom and then a loud clatter. And then, as if he knew the monitor was there (I don't think he did) he whispered several times, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry! Oh, I'm sorry!" When she got came down in the morning, she saw he'd knocked the soap dispenser on the counter and spilled it everywhere. She was cracking up. She said, what was I thinking putting the baby monitor down there! So clearly a mistake! But if she hadn't had it, she wouldn't have heard that bizarre set of noises.

The boys will probably stay up the whole night until sleep overtakes them, then wake up around noon.

You could leave a baggie of cereal and just tell the mom that you thought it might make it easier for her in the morning. I would actually appreciate that.

I often brought a bouquet of flowers for the mom since she will likely be just as tired. :)

Send a pillow and sleeping bag, pack a toothbrush, PJ's and change of clothes, let him bring a box of his favorite cereal to offer to share if he'd like to for breakfast, and let him choose the present. Tell the mom that it's his first sleepover and you're not sure how he'll do, so she should please call you or let him call you any time of day or night if he decides he'd rather come home (let him know that too), and other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. They'll find ways of entertaining themselves! Sounds like a fun time! :)

• 1 year later...

Her plan sounds great. You should send duct tape and ear plugs. :laugh: Seriously, maybe a bag of chips, some soda, or some homemade cookies would probably be welcome.

I would send him with something that he will eat to save the hostess having to fix him something extra. I usually send my more particular boy with a sandwich or two that he can stick in the fridge and eat if he needs to.

My 10 y.o.'s birthday gifts from friends: A Lego book. Beywheels. A game called Headbanz, which would be really fun at a party. A handmade paper figure of my son saying "It's my birthday!" Some of those $2-5 wind-up rubber band airplanes made of the thin wood to put together. Honestly, the fact that they came to his party and gave him a gift specially chosen/made for him was delightful--the actual gift didn't matter so much.

Cat