Menu

BAKING EMERGENCY--How do I use dry granulated yeast instead of fresh cake yeast??

I am making my great-grandmother's traditional Polish kolacky cookie recipe. I look forward to these cookies every year at Christmas. The recipe calls for "one cake yeast." That means one little butter-stick-thingey of fresh yeast from the refrigerator section of the store. However, I have been all over, to multiple stores, and cannot find any. I have to bake these tonight to be ready for tomorrow's party.

The recipe requires the cook to cut the yeast into a cup of flour with a pastry cutter or two forks. Once the dough is assembled it is chilled overnight in the refrigerator.

Does anyone know how I would go about substituting dry granulated yeast??

From my King Arthur cookbook, pg 128 of the 200th Anniversary Cookbook:

"One cake of compressed yeast which weighs a bit more than 1/2 an ounce, can be used in place of 1 scant tablespoon or 1 packet of active dry yeast."

Yep, this is what the interwebs tells me. 1 cake yeast = 1 packet of active dry yeast which = 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (or one scant tablespoon)