Menu

Advice needed: Ski clothes

My dh's family is having their reunion in Gatlinburg, TN the week between Christmas and New Year's. We live in Florida and don't have cold weather clothing. They want to go skiing, tubing, etc. I am trying to figure out what I need to get each of the boys and how to do it as cheaply as possible.

How heavy do the jackets need to be? I've found some Columbia medium weight ski jackets for a decent price. Do you think those would be good enough with layering underneath? What about ski pants?

Any advice appreciated!

Cindy

Don't get too excited about the skiing in g'burg. It's hit or miss. I think the highs will be in the 50's over Christmas with rain. They do blow snow. I looked at ober's site just a few days ago and it said tubing was not open yet. I don't know if they've not updated or it's really closed. If you are skiing, I would say a very light layer under snow pants. Same for a jacket. You could possibly get away with a water proof parka.

ETA: tn weather can be very unpredictable so I would check daily up until you leave. You might get some snow up on top of the mountain in the higher elevations. You might want to make alternate plans in case you decide not to ski (look at pigeon forge).

Edited by southernm

Layers!

Thermal underwear, outfit, sweater, mid-weight jacket....ski pants, good socks, boots, gloves (or glove liner topped with mittens).

Best places I know online to get things at very good prices for winter stuff - Sierra Trading Company, Back Country or (sometimes with good deals) Dick's Sporting Goods. Of the three, Back Country is IMO the best prices, especially if you click through to the outlet section - very steep discounts are often in their outlet section!

Thanks for the replies. I am concerned about being stuck in a hotel with 19 children while it's rainy and cold all day! Not very appealing. Especially with 11 of them being 10yo and under.

Cindy

Yikes! Where are you staying? There are indoor things to do around town like the aquarium and "upside down house". Mostly tourist traps though. The visitor center for the smokies has a nice indoor area with examples of animals that can be found there and it's free.

I don't remember the name of the hotel, but I don't recall it having much in the way of communal space. Thanks for the info on the aquarium and upside down house.

Cindy

I hope it has a pool! With that many, the hotel may let you use it's empty banquet rooms if they are not previously books (especially if it's a smaller hotel). There is also an indoor water park but I have no experience with it.