Menu

DK or Kingfisher for Rhetoric + Logic kids

Hello!

We're new to classical homeschooling and have a question. In the 2009 ed of WTM, it looks like the Grammar Stage recommendation for History is written on the assumption that Kingfisher is going to be used later in the Logic Stage. But when I turn to the Logic section of the book, there's no mention of it. Why?

Our situation:

We'll follow Susan's advice for jumping midstream into classical way -- meaning, we'll mostly use Logic core text and literature for both a 9th-grader and a 6th grader, along with a few Rhetoric-level books thrown in for the former.

Considering that the Rhetoric-stage child is also going to use it, would you say Kingfisher might be better than DK that I like?

Thanks!

Midori

The older, white Kingfisher is far and away the best logic stage world history reference that I have ever seen. I do have the DK and the older Usborne as well as the newer red Kingfisher. My advice is to try to score the old white Kingfisher if you can, and use it for the pictures in the grammar stage and for study and outlining in the logic stage--it is simply unparalleled for outlining.

For rhetoric, I like the adult SWB history books. There are only two of the four published so far, though.

Thank you. I had the impression (from reviews on other websites) that the red Kingfisher wasn't that different from the white one after all, but maybe I was wrong. I'll try to locate the white one, and meanwhile I guess I keep using what I have.

Midori

There are reviews that say that, but I have used both, and I see a big difference. The red one is further compressed to the point where it's difficult to outline. The white one is easy to outline, and in fact is the best book for starting to learn to outline that I have ever seen.

I homeschooled before there were all writing resources that there are now, so I used the suggestions in WTM as a jumping off point and looked for books to use for various functions. It is in that context that I say that the white Kingfisher is so good.

• 2 weeks later...

We've finally got a white Kingfisher, and I DO see lots of difference. We like its writing, and have found it much more visually appealing than the red one.

Since the last post, I have dug up some old threads about how the white KF was intended to be used differently from DK. The DK and others recommended in 2009 WTM are for us to pick out facts and dates from, while the white KF is for the actual outlining exercises also.

So I think we're well-prepared for a new adventure. Thanks for your recommendation,

Midori