Menu

What's a good RED WINE for beginners?

A couple red wines I like that are reasonably priced ($10-$15) and taste great, easy to find (at the grocery store or costco for example):

- Layer Cake

- Apothic (http://www.apothic.com/)

If you have World Market near you, you could also go and browse and ask for suggestions. I like that they show the points - anything over 90 is usually good.

If you like a slightly more sweet light red wine, I've found Mark West Pinot Noir to be a tasty little treat. It's relatively cheap, too.

I've also had some good Malbec (Argentinian red). Have tried a few different kinds and have been pleased by all.

If you want something with a little more body to it, I've never met a red wine from Bordeaux that I didn't like, especially St. Emilion. :tongue_smilie:

Tomorrow is our 17 year anniversary and I want to plan something special for DH.:)

What will you be eating? Do you have a preference for sweet beverages?

Without knowing those things, I would think a mixture would be a good place to start (Cab, Merlot, Syrah). Apothic is good as a pp suggested. So is Primal Roots.

As a beginner wine drinker, I have a very scientific way of picking wines. I look for medium price and I pick an interesting label or name. :lol:

With that said, Ménage A Tr@is is one of my favorites and I keep trying others and going back to it. The guy at the store commented it's one of his enduring favorites, for the money. It's a mixture of 3 types of wine :Merlot, um...something, and something...

Middle Sister was yucky

Pink Truck is a good pink one.

I think Pinot Noir and Shiraz/Syrah is a good place to start.... If you like sweeter wines try a Chianti, maybe.... I also REALLY like Sangiovese and reds that have Sangiovese mixed with Syrah or Malbec.

It is VERY hard to find a good bottle of wine for less than about $14 nowadays (used to be a piece of cake!).

If you know regions, you don't have to worry as much about brands :)

In the US, for Pinot Noir - looks for the Russian River Valley, Dry Creek Valley, and Alexander Valley in California. Carneros is also good to look for. Some really good ones that are easy to find are Stags Leap and Iron Horse. Less expensive but still good - Francis Ford Copolla, Layer Cake, Banfi, and Castle Rock.

For Malbec - Argentina pretty much anywhere :) I like the Bodega Catena Zapata wines, and the Casillero del Diablo (they have that one at WalMart for like $11).

For Shiraz or Syrah - South Africa and New Zealand are great, and in the US, same regions as Pinto Noir.

With that said, Ménage A Tr@is is one of my favorites and I keep trying others and going back to it. The guy at the store commented it's one of his enduring favorites, for the money. It's a mixture of 3 types of wine :Merlot, um...something, and something...

This is our go to, cheaper wine! Very drinkable. Could go for a glass about now. Happy Anniversary and cheers! :cheers2:

I prefer whites to reds, but I really enjoy the Beaujolais Nouveau by Georges Duboeuf. It comes out each year in time for Thanksgiving and the stores sell it until it is gone. This year's is particularly yummy (each year is different as it's 'new' and not aged).

We have really been enjoying this year's and plan to buy several 'extras'. :D They run $8.99 at Costco and $10.99 at Publix. If this interests you, just look for a separate wine display (*usually* off by itself and not on the shelf with other wines) with this year's bright yellow and orange labels.

I'm taking notes of the other suggestions because dh usually buys the wine, so I'm never sure what to look for! :001_huh: