Menu

Need advise on boosting immune system

I have been sick alot this year. I have kidney stones (1 small one left after 2 surgeries this year) multiple UTIs, and now I just got a very serious case of pnuemonia and pleurisy. Needless to say it hasn't been a very good year.

I need to start taking or doing something to boost my immune system. I take a muli and vitamin C now (the vitamin c is to help prevent UTIs per my doc). I do try to exercise as often as I can but lately everytime I go to the gym I get sick with something! I also try to eat well balanced meal mostly of chicken and lots of veggies.

So what does the Hive recommend to help me fight off all these illnesses?

I put loads of onions and garlic in everything, drink freshly squeezed orange juice. I rarely get ill. If I feel cold symptoms I drink a small glass of red wine. :D

ETA: We don't often eat pre-packed food, fizzy drinks, snacks or take away. A diet rich in fresh wholesome food cooked from scratch is as good as it gets, IMO.

Edited by lorrainejmc

I put loads of onions and garlic in everything, drink freshly squeezed orange juice. I rarely get ill. If I feel cold symptoms I drink a small glass of red wine. :D

ETA: We don't often eat pre-packed food, fizzy drinks, snacks or take away. A diet rich in fresh wholesome food cooked from scratch is as good as it gets, IMO.

Hmmm, I think I feel a cold coming on. ;)

Staying healthy - I try to get outside at least an hour daily - gardening, walking, playing with kids, etc.

Rest - when I miss sleep, I get sick. I shoot for at least 6 hrs.

Not drinking ice cold drinks. That's weird but it works for me. I teach fitness classes and use my voice a lot (teaching, screaming at kids, etc.). I noticed that I'd get sore throats more in the summer. Once I get a sore throat, seems like a cold follows. A dr. mentioned something about avoiding iced drinks. (Musta been a yankee, 'cause I think that advice is against some law down here.) Anyway, that was a few years ago and it seems to work. So, now I try to keep a pitcher of water in the fridge so I can drink cool, but not icy drinks. Now that it's cold I drink a lot of warm water and honey.

Wash hands, clean bathrooms, doorknobs, car interior and homeschool room surfaces lots.

A few years ago dh was getting frequent colds and a relative suggested probiotics. They seemed to do wonders for him & dd. I think th brand is primadolphalis or something like that. I don't know much about them but I know my aunt told me to be strong enough to work they needed to be the type that require refrigeration. I bough them at the vitamin store and they were about $18.

Raw, local honey. Haven't had a cold or cough in a very long time.

Ok, while I do think this is very healthy (I take raw, local honey everyday), it definitely does not mean you will not get sick. I take Vitamin D, eat raw garlic and honey, and take probiotics and I'm still sick all the time. I think a lot if it is just kid's ages and exposure.