Menu

Poll: What size bed do you and your DH share?

What size bed do you and your DH share?  

1. 1. What size bed do you and your DH share?

• Full size
    • Queen size
    • King size
    • What? Share a bed with dh? Are you nuts?!?
    • Other

I am going to try and do my first poll ever. Dh and I are trying to decide on some new mattresses. I'm just curious as to what most others have.

I left off twin size since I doubt many folks wanna be THAT close to their dh all night! ;-p

Edited by StaceyinLA

I picked Other.

When we moved here and put our King size in our bedroom in the only place it would fit we just barely could close the door. We had no bed frame, but still if the bed moved a centimeter we would have to push it tight against the wall to open/close the door.

So we went shopping for a new bed. My dh is 6 foot 2 and even found his feet hung off the king size so we didn't want smaller. Instead we got TWO full size beds and put them side by side to make a big rectangular. It's bigger then a king. Not as wide, but much longer.

-----------------

I I I

I I I

I I I

I I I

I I I

I I I

-----------------

(ETA: Sorry the diagram didn't work. Hopefully you will understand what I mean)

We then sleep with our heads on one mattress and our feet on another. A super long bed, way longer then even my dh needs.

If the kids are going to be joining us. (My youngest bedroom also doubles as a guest room) We then sleep on it as two separate beds. One for my and my son, the other for my husband.

We have VERY little floor space left in our room. But we want/need it that way. If you have less then 2 square meters of floor space and let it get super messy it is still very easy to clean up.

Edited by Julie Smith

I'm all for twin beds but we have a queen. DH curls up on the edge if he is accidently bumped into during the night so I end up feeling guilty all the time or trying to sleep curled up on my own edge. Dh has also informed me that I have those myoclonic twitches literally all night and that coupled with my chronic nightmares in which I yell and thrash and throw punches I am responsible for keeping him awake a lot. I'm sure I wouldn't want to share a bed with me, but he won't hear of doing things differently, even though I have assured him that twin beds are plenty big enough for those time we want to be um, very close together.

We have what's known as an "Olympic Queen" bed. No, I'm not kidding. ;) Here's some info on it, from http://www.preciousbedding.com:

The Simmons® Olympic Queen bed was developed in 1999 and is 6 inches wider than a regular Queen. Besides the California King and Queen, this was the first new bed to enter the market in 42 years. Because of this, they are not as common as normal Queen beds and it is often difficult to find bedding for them. Mattresses of Olympic Queen beds typically measure 66 inches wide and 80 inches long.

The part about it being difficult to find sheets for it is absolutely true. I've resorted to buying king-size sheets and altering them to fit our bed. :glare: If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a king-sized bed instead.

Happily married for 28 years, but definitely NOT sleep compatible, so last year we separated.:tongue_smilie: Now we are even more happily married in our own beds. No more snoring in each other's ears, no more tossing and turning (me) because his white noise source is too close. No more blanket war...

:001_smile:

We could only find the frame we wanted in a queen, so queen it is.

What I would do over again is get a mattress where the pillowtop isn't sewn on. I hate not being able to flip my mattress, and it's developing depressions that I can't do anything about. (Except tell my husband to roll onto the middle of the bed when I get up in the morning.)

Very happily sharing for 25 years and counting in a regular QUEEN size bed. When we were remodeling for a few months, and whenever we go camping, we slept just as well on a full-size air mattress. However, I am only 5'4" and DH is 5'10", plus I sleep curled up all the time, so a smaller bed size works great for us.

Kids and dogs have their own beds. ;)

Queen.

We used to have a King, but I felt so lonely because we each separated to our own edges. So 2 years ago we bought a Sleep Number bed in Queen. Dh would have gotten the King, but he didn't want to spend that much money. I like the Queen because I know he's in bed with me. Sometimes it does feel crowded. We are both overweight and Dh is 6'1", but I'd rather have that than feel I'm sleeping alone.

I chose "Other." We have an Olympic Queen, which was only made by Simmons and they quit making them about five years ago. It is the perfect size for us- 68" X 80"- and I am so mad that they don't make them any more! I guess we'll just have to get a little cozier when we need to replace it.

I chose "Other." We have an Olympic Queen, which was only made by Simmons and they quit making them about five years ago. It is the perfect size for us- 68" X 80"- and I am so mad that they don't make them any more! I guess we'll just have to get a little cozier when we need to replace it.

Did you see my post? We also have an Olympic Queen. I love the bed, but I wish we'd gone ahead and bought a king size instead. It's too hard to find sheets to fit. :confused:

Did you see my post? We also have an Olympic Queen. I love the bed, but I wish we'd gone ahead and bought a king size instead. It's too hard to find sheets to fit. :confused:

I love my bed too but I understand the frustration! Ours is really deep so we buy a king size fitted and a queen size flat. We've never really had a problem with the fitted sliding around or anything, we just tuck any extra sheet in. The biggest problem is the mattress cover. When we purchased the bed, we got one the mattress pad from the company and it was supposed to last 10 years. However, we then co-slept with two kids so we were lucky to get five years out of it! It was a pain when we had to buy a new one. We would have just ordered another one from Simmons, but that's when we found out they don't make them any more. :glare: We ended up getting a king size and "tucking it in" doesn't quite work as well as it does with the sheets. So, yeah, my big complaint is the mattress pad.

I'm all for twin beds but we have a queen. DH curls up on the edge if he is accidently bumped into during the night so I end up feeling guilty all the time or trying to sleep curled up on my own edge. Dh has also informed me that I have those myoclonic twitches literally all night and that coupled with my chronic nightmares in which I yell and thrash and throw punches I am responsible for keeping him awake a lot. I'm sure I wouldn't want to share a bed with me, but he won't hear of doing things differently, even though I have assured him that twin beds are plenty big enough for those time we want to be um, very close together.

Are you saying you'd sleep both of you in a twin if he agreed??

King! We had a queen for a long time and since we've purchased the king, we have a hard time with smaller sizes. Dh is very tall and loves to sprawl. I'm smaller, but I startle easily and I lash out when touched while I'm sleeping. There's enough room that my kids can fit in the bed when they have nightmares. Highly recommend the king size bed.

We use to only use a king-sized bed. Typically one or more children managed to sleep there as well. About ten years ago, we switched to queen, and we are pleased with that. Initially we were concerned it wouldn't give us enough room, but that hasn't been the case. Also, the queen-sized bed seems to maintain its support better. I don't think that we'll go back to king.

King! We had a queen for a long time and since we've purchased the king, we have a hard time with smaller sizes. Dh is very tall and loves to sprawl. I'm smaller, but I startle easily and I lash out when touched while I'm sleeping. There's enough room that my kids can fit in the bed when they have nightmares. Highly recommend the king size bed.

:lol: I thought only I did this! It can be downright scary for my dc. They have learned not to quietly sneak up to my side of the bed and try to whisper something to me while I sleep!

We have had a king size for 12 years. It's time to replace the mattresses. We are trying out a queen for a few months (it was one of our guest beds) to see if we like it before purchasing new mattresses.

My problems with our king:

No matter what we did to the frame, the middle ALWAYS wound up caving in, and I felt like I was sleeping sideways on an incline - KILLED my back.

Fit of king quilts/comforters - they just never go all the way down past the mattress. This frustrates my OCD side terribly!

Cost of bedding. It's just outrageous to get good quality stuff for king size beds.

Cost of headboard/frame (we will want to replace our headboard when we purchase our new bed).

Space. We have a big room, but I really want to put a little seating area in it. The king bed won't allow for that. The queen will.

Problems with queen:

Not sure if I'm fond of the closeness. I do not like to be touched in my sleep. I am not a cuddler!

For the first 9 years of our marriage we shared a full size bed. When ds 7 was born he ended up in bed with us so I could get some sleep, then when ds 5 came I was nursing both of them so we had 2 babies and both of us fighting to stay on a full-- I would literally have 1 boy hanging off the edge being held up by my arm around him so then we got a king and it was WONDERFUL. We have been in a king ever since and will be for the rest of our marriage! Plenty of cuddle room and plenty of roll over and go to sleep room :D

Gosh... I'm thinking two twins would be perfect.... we could pick which one we wanted, and schooch them together. :) But, when I want good sleep, I sleep downstairs, snoring really doesn't let me get good rest... :)

This is actually what we had -- two twin beds pushed together -- when we rented a furnished apartment in Switzerland (for four years) and a vacation cottage in England (for a week). It makes for much more flexibility (say, you have visitors who don't want to sleep in the same bed), and it's so much easier to manage a twin mattress and frame in the small apartments (with narrow stairwells and doors). I've never seen it in the U.S., but it seemed so logical, once we got over our surprise!

I put other since the closest thing to our bed is a California King. Basically it is bigger than a queen and smaller than a king. We got our bed in Belgium and they have different sizes. The normal bed that couples use over there is what we got- it is two mattresses joined together by a piece of fabric that hangs down so it is easy to bring into small doors like many in Europe are. You basically fold the mattress by half and get it in. It was very nice for dh since it is longer than a normal queen and he is fairly tall. It has been a real blessing for me since we are on different mattresses, and we have separate bed rails, I can elevate my head part while he sleeps flat.

We have a king but I wish we had bought a California king as my dh's feet hang off the end. We like having lots of space though we both sleep close to our respective edges.