Menu

Help!!! Really, I mean it!

BMW

I had a stack of VERY important papers next to my computer desk. On Thanksgiving I put them into a bag and put them near the back of the desk. Yesterday I asked my son to take out a bag of newspapers and recycling that was near the desk to the recycling container... and it was taken this morning by our trash company...

My bag of important papers is gone, too. My son insists that he only took out the one bag, but I do not believe him whatsoever. I have searched high and low for the bag...

It has court papers (I have to go to court in a few weeks, which is why they were next to my desk) and all of our social security numbers...

Please don't tell me I should never have put them in the bag behind my desk... just tell me how I can protect our identity! ????????

Is there a company out there that protects you from identity theft? Like through my bank or credit card company??

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

My heart is just sick by this... I am trying not to panic, but it is hard. I keep trying to remember just what all was put into that bag. I think it might be better if I just didn't know... and I keep roaming room to room hoping to see that I had, in fact, stuck the bag somewhere else...

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

… Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Given the millions of tons of trash and recycling there is every day, I would be alert, but not lose sleep. Chances are it is all being happily recycled.

:iagree:

… I keep trying to remember just what all was put into that bag. I think it might be better if I just didn't know ...

Stop trying remember - prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Read about identity theft - here is the .gov site

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I had a similar situation and remember just how gutwrenchingly AWFUL the whole thing felt. I was in my first real job post-college at a publishing company. I was given the original art for a children's picture book and told to compare the art to the text and make sure everything was accurate. I was given a deadline of a few days later. I put the art in its large brown envelope next to my desk, and added it to my to-do list. When next I went to retrieve the brown envelope, it was GONE. The cleaning lady had taken it out with the trash. It was thousands of dollars in art. My supervisor made me conduct a search not only of the entire building but also of the dumpster. I vividly remember standing IN the dumpster in a black pencil skirt, black heels, and red silk shirt. Obviously the art was never found. It was really, truly horrible.

Interestingly, I went on to later work for another publishing company where I learned that original art is kept under strict lock and key. It made me feel a little less at fault over the whole ugly thing--the art should never have been passed around like it was. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

This will pass, and it'll work out okay in the end. Sorry it feels so yucky right now. :grouphug: