Menu

I'm looking for some worksheets or exercises that would give my older sons some intensive practice in using the correct definite and indefinte articles in sentences.

Does anyone have suggestions?

PS. I did find an amusing set of German lessons on YouTube. Here is the

, but it looks like there are quite a few more.

I just picked up a used copy of English Grammar for Students of German. It contains quite a bit of English grammar information, which hasn't been that helpful (for us, in any case), but its information on German grammar has been great. In it, it has a listing of all the noun endings that correspond with the definite articles (der, die & das). As far as I can tell, OSU has never taught my dd that she can recognize gender by the ending of the noun. We were so excited when we found out (I know, it doesn't take much to make us happy ;) ). I can type it out for you and send it in a PM if you like, but I'm not sure this is exactly what you are looking for ......??? Perhaps you already know this information ....???

I had this bookmarked http://deutschdrang.com/BeginnerLevelWorksheets.aspx If you go to Case #17 there is a worksheet in regards to articles.

Also this: http://german.about.com/library/blgenderqz01.htm

And another: http://www.deutschakademie.de/online-deutschkurs/english/choosethemaref.php?tid=8

I haven't tried any of them but when I bookmarked them, they looked promising. HTH! :001_smile:

BTW, thanks so much for the recommendation of German in Review. I found a used copy for $8 and it's on its way! :auto:

I just picked up a used copy of English Grammar for Students of German. It contains quite a bit of English grammar information, which hasn't been that helpful (for us, in any case), but its information on German grammar has been great. In it, it has a listing of all the noun endings that correspond with the definite articles (der, die & das). As far as I can tell, OSU has never taught my dd that she can recognize gender by the ending of the noun. We were so excited when we found out (I know, it doesn't take much to make us happy ;) ). I can type it out for you and send it in a PM if you like, but I'm not sure this is exactly what you are looking for ......??? Perhaps you already know this information ....???

I had this bookmarked http://deutschdrang.com/BeginnerLevelWorksheets.aspx If you go to Case #17 there is a worksheet in regards to articles.

Also this: http://german.about.com/library/blgenderqz01.htm

And another: http://www.deutschakademie.de/online-deutschkurs/english/choosethemaref.php?tid=8

I haven't tried any of them but when I bookmarked them, they looked promising. HTH! :001_smile:

BTW, thanks so much for the recommendation of German in Review. I found a used copy for $8 and it's on its way! :auto:

Oh, I'm glad. I hope the German in Review is helpful. I'll take a look at some of your links.

Thanks for these links -- My older son studied Spanish, and there were scads and scads of resources. My younger son has chosen German, and I'm scrambling to figure out how to get him through the Subject SAT successfully.

The Deutschdrang site looks very useful -- and the corresponding blog, too!

Maura

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking for some worksheets or exercises that would give my older sons some intensive practice in using the correct definite and indefinte articles in sentences.

Does anyone have suggestions?

PS. I did find an amusing set of German lessons on YouTube. Here is the

, but it looks like there are quite a few more.

It looks like I'm writing my own grammar lessons to explicitly teach what I think they should be understanding about verb conjugations, declinsions and other topics. With lots of practice sentences.

I did find some good stuff on the about.com pages for German. For example, here are 50 common verbs with stem changes indicated.

This is part of an online German for Beginners course. It even has some online quizes. You can go through the lessons in order or hit them by topic. Might provide some good background or re-enforcement of grammar and vocabulary.

I actually have three of them in front of me.

Quick reviews:

The Sentence Builder book (Swick) is billed on the front as helping to "expand your basic grammar knowledge". I think this is important to note. It isn't quite the baby step needed by a low level beginner. For example, lesson one starts with an explanation of subject + verb + predicate (predicate here being used to mean anything coming after the verb). But it is using not only present tense, but past, present perfect, future and models.

I do like how clear the explanations seem (at least to me, but I've been studying languages a long time). However, this book doesn't go into how to conjugate a verb in different tenses (probably expecting that you'll use one of the other books for that).

The latter part of the book includes letter writing format, including opening and closing a letter. There is an answer key in the back (about a dozen pages, which could be removed if you wanted to have a separate answer key).

German Verb Tenses (Henschel) The intro has a basic terminology section that starts with defining verb and goes on through stem, conjugation, person, tense, strong verb, weak verb, modal, reflexive and even mood. This is two pages of solid explanations that could be used as a quick reference.

Then conjugations are explained starting with regular verbs in present tense, irregular verbs and so on. The explanations do a good job of covering topics that American students may never have heard, like person or formal vs. informal. Some of the sentence drills involve manipulating German sentences (changing the subject, or making it into a question). Others are translating English into German. Appendexes have a summary of verb tenses, common verbs with stems in different tenses and verbs that take prepositions. Answer key in the back.

This book is pretty close to my ideal for verb work. I may expand it some by making the kids do similar drills with the verbs that are being used in German Online.

German Grammar Drills (Swick) starts with a discussion of gender (including some common rules based on word endings and spelling in addition to rules like male people, months, etc), forming plurals, pronouns and case. There is a review of verb conjugation toward the end, but much less of it than in the Verb Tenses book (think review rather than explicit instruction) There are three reviews of main sections and then a final review. Again, there is an answer key in the back.

I like these books a lot. In fact, I think that I like them as much or more than German in Review (and they are probably more readily available). The Vocab title may go on my wish list.

I did see some of this series in a college bookstore over the summer, so if anyone wanted to check them out, that might be an option. They were in the general section of the bookstore, not the textbook area.