Menu

Question about tithing.

What do you do if you can't afford to tithe? I mean if you literally live paycheck to paycheck and you do have some extra money but you typically use it for things for your dc like clothing, homeschooling supplies and the occasional treat (a movie, a trip to the zoo, etc.)

I'm not asking for myself...I was chatting with a young mom the other day in the LOOOOOONG line at Walmart and it turns out that she started homeschooling this year. I live in the south so of coarse one of the first questions she asked is where we attend church. I responded that we don't and she said she wanted to but couldn't afford it.:confused:

I asked her what she meant and she said because of what I mentioned above that they couldn't afford the tithing. I didn't ask her anymore about what church it was as it was my turn to check out.

I find it hard to believe that a church wouldn't allow membership because someone couldn't afford the tithing. Enlighten me.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is unreal. I do believe there are churches that one must show one's tax return and pay the 10%.

Personally to me tithing means time, talent and treasure. It also means that if I see a need outside the church I can give to that need in place of my weekly tithe.

For example, during the Christmas season I give upward of $150 to the parish's angel tree, the Salvation army bell ringers, other specific church type needs.

This year though it was brought to my attention that my $150 would be better spent on a specific family. I still count that money as part of my giving but it did not go to church type needs. Of course I can't claim it on my income tax return.

To my knowledge, one doesn't have to tithe to become a member of a church - not ours, anyway. One does have to be a regular tither to be on the board of deacons, etc. Tithing is the 10% that goes in as tithes. Any other missions contributions, charity contributions, specific ministry contributions, etc, are above and beyond that 10%.

Honestly, we have lived paycheck to paycheck off and on throughout our married life. And we have always taken tithes out first. Get paid, and the first check I write is for Sunday morning's tithes.

We've never been left with nothing. Tithing requires faith that you'll have what you need, and discipline to make sure you do. 'Extras' are just that. Extras. Not necessary. IMO, tithing is in NO way something that is optional.

I have known of churches where tithing was required, but I have also known a number of churches that state that tithing was done away with as part of the New Covenant. I'm obviously not part of that camp. ;)

Nothing against you personally or the LDS church in general or other churches that say tithing is a Biblical requirement. That said, I have a question. Anyone who might have an answer feel free.

The tithing thing is in the OT along with all the other, what is it 612?, laws the Jewish people must obey. The NT pretty much says feed and clothe the poor and needy. (I follow the NT directive.)

So here is the question. Why is okay to break the circumcision covenant, disregard all the other laws but the 10 commandments, and still continue to demand the 10%?

Again, not being combative or snarky. Just asking a legitimate question. Thanks to any and all who are able to enlighten me (and others).

I'm not Christian, so things may be different in your world, but when we give alms it's not required to be monetary. Could this be true of your church, too? Come to think of it, I think it could be said of the Catholic church (to which my in-laws and children belong).

Without knowing explicitly what the worth "tithe" refers to (I'm guessing it's the same as alms, but maybe it's more specific?), would it be possible to 'tithe' your time or talent to the church? Either admin help, in a ministry of some kind ...?

I find it hard to believe that a church wouldn't allow membership because someone couldn't afford the tithing. Enlighten me.

In our church, members are expected to tithe and we are regularly reminded to tithe. It's a tough time for our church and the attendance is way down. I imagine our church isn't the only one pushing tithing more than it has in the past. (Before we were members, our church over-extended itself and committed to a $15,000/mo mortgage that can't be supported by the 150 families that are left. They are, also, wanting to keep their word to the pastor and continue to pay him his $120,000/yr salary). I think that's a shame that not being able to tithe would keep a person away from church. I can understand wanting to avoid that kind of pressure, though.

Nothing against you personally or the LDS church in general or other churches that say tithing is a Biblical requirement. That said, I have a question. Anyone who might have an answer feel free.

The tithing thing is in the OT along with all the other, what is it 612?, laws the Jewish people must obey. The NT pretty much says feed and clothe the poor and needy. (I follow the NT directive.)

So here is the question. Why is okay to break the circumcision covenant, disregard all the other laws but the 10 commandments, and still continue to demand the 10%?

Again, not being combative or snarky. Just asking a legitimate question. Thanks to any and all who are able to enlighten me (and others).

Chucki asks a great question here. I'd LOVE to hear an answer.

I'm not Christian, so things may be different in your world, but when we give alms it's not required to be monetary. Could this be true of your church, too? Come to think of it, I think it could be said of the Catholic church (to which my in-laws and children belong).

Without knowing explicitly what the worth "tithe" refers to (I'm guessing it's the same as alms, but maybe it's more specific?), would it be possible to 'tithe' your time or talent to the church? Either admin help, in a ministry of some kind ...?

Yes, Catholics are not required to give a specific amount. It's never really been a problem. One might find a church that has been closed, but that is generally because the congregation isn't large enough to keep the lights on. This is generally because the Catholic population has died off or moved out of the general area of the parish.

In our church, members are expected to tithe and we are regularly reminded to tithe. It's a tough time for our church and the attendance is way down. I imagine our church isn't the only one pushing tithing more than it has in the past. (Before we were members, our church over-extended itself and committed to a $15,000/mo mortgage that can't be supported by the 150 families that are left. They are, also, wanting to keep their word to the pastor and continue to pay him his $120,000/yr salary). I think that's a shame that not being able to tithe would keep a person away from church. I can understand wanting to avoid that kind of pressure, though.

:eek::eek::eek: How much per year? Wow!

Honestly, I am not a legalistic tither AT ALL!!!!! and I could not be apart of a church that believed so. That said the first account of tithing is from Melchizedek, pre-law. Therefore, tithing was in place before the law. At that point though it seems to be a freewill offering on his part.

So, while I think Melchizedek sets and admirable standard, I do not believe we are slaves to it.

I don't want to come across wrong or snarky or whatever. But oh wow. I don't know the cost of living where you are, but where I am, those prices are exhoritant. I guess it matters where in Colorado you are.

But in a congregation, if you can't aford it, you can't. That's just it. No reason to feel badly about it. Except maybe they shouldn't have taken out such a big mortgage. Just sayin'.

Do you attend MY church?? Geez. I have a bad attitude about the way my church spends their money,( they are two million in debt from the new {half empty} building) and that includes paying the pastor double what most members make.

In regards to tithing, my husband is not a christian and has forbidden me to spend 'our' money on tithing. I talked with my church leaders about it and they assured me that the amount of time I give to the church ( about 18 hours a month) more than counts as my tithing.

Yes, there are churches that require this. Unfortunately this girl does not realize there are also churches that do not. :confused:

As Catholics, we are not expected to tithe. I guess they might hope we do, but it is never stressed and there is no guilt put on you if you put two dollars in the collection plate. I think it is ridiculous for any church to tell people that they don't have access to worshipping God because they can't afford to tithe. Also, tithing should be a choice.

That said, I started tithing this year. I don't give all of it to the church. I give about half of it to the church and the rest to charities that help the poor. I truly believe that God stretches your finances and that we actually have more money now that we are tithing. In the same way, on days when I take the time to spend time with God in prayer and study, I seem to have more time to get everything done. God rewards us.

:eek::eek::eek: How much per year? Wow!

:iagree:

Do you attend MY church?? Geez. I have a bad attitude about the way my church spends their money,( they are two million in debt from the new {half empty} building) and that includes paying the pastor double what most members make.

In regards to tithing, my husband is not a christian and has forbidden me to spend 'our' money on tithing. I talked with my church leaders about it and they assured me that the amount of time I give to the church ( about 18 hours a month) more than counts as my tithing.

Ouch. Yeah, the church should definitely be part of the 'living within their means' camp. Church growth and money isn't something anyone can count on.

I don't want to come across wrong or snarky or whatever. But oh wow. I don't know the cost of living where you are, but where I am, those prices are exhoritant. I guess it matters where in Colorado you are.

But in a congregation, if you can't aford it, you can't. That's just it. No reason to feel badly about it. Except maybe they shouldn't have taken out such a big mortgage. Just sayin'.

:iagree: That sounds insane. I remember my pastor growing up made like $50,000 a year and that was good living!! (Heck, we don't make that now!)

I forgot to add in my last post that while I don't consider tithing to be optional, I do NOT think it is the church's job to mandate it. I think it is the responsibility of the individual tither. I don't think the church should be able to 'check up on' people or anything like that. Just wanted to clarify. :)

Is this a particular denomination? I ask because in the denomination where DH and I went for many, many years, if this were the case, the denominational leaders would step in and ask the pastor to either take a lower salary or find a church with more members. A salary of that kind cannot be sustained by smaller churches.

The mortgage alone would have kept me away though.....I don't believe it is biblical to be that far into debt.

Dawn

I don't think churches should require people to tithe. Some people just cannot. I think everyone should try to support the church in whatever way they can, and if you have the financial means, then by all means, give. Our church is very laid back - they ask you to pledge, but the minimum suggested is quite low, and if you can't do that, then give what you can, even if it's just a couple of dollars a month.

To the OP, that is very odd. My church has NEVER required tithing. They encourage it and most believe that you give 10% to your church first and THEN give additional offerings to missions, etc.....I personally don't agree as I see giving to the body of Christ as giving to "the church." But I would never say you HAVE to tithe.

Dawn

In our church, we have a freewill offering. We don't agree that the tithe (10%) is a Biblical requirement under Christ, as they were meant to provide for the Levitical priesthood. I would love to hear the Scriptural justification people use who believe this is required now.

2 Cor. 9

6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

2 Cor. 6:

18Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.

Our entire lives are supposed to be a free will offering, not just a set amount of our money, time, ect. It's not actually any less demanding than the law, but it's relies on our conscience, not a written law.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

we happen to believe "our" money is in reality the Lord's money and we pay tithing because we have trust in Him. We paid tithing when for several months it was measured in cents, becauase that was all our income was during a period of prolonged unemployment. we still had our mortgage payment, four kids, utilities, etc. we somehow made it through, and the thought of not paying tithing during that time is inconceviable..

eta: our church does not make a requirement of paying a tithe to be able to attend weekly church meetings - it must be an act of faith. you can't force someone to do something.

Edited by gardenmom5

guess they forgot about being frugal during times of plenty so they'd have enough during times of famine . . . . .

Our church never builds a building unless it is paid for first - no mortgages.

Wow...we have a lay leadership (as in no one gets a salary ;) among our congregation... I can't even begin to wrap my head around paying $120,000 in salary to a pastor.

The LDS perspective is that the Mosaic law was created to point towards Christ. When Christ came, He fulfilled the law, entirely. With the Restoration of His church, He created a new covenant with His people. Much of that looks the same (including tithing) because He is the same always...

I just wanted to add (in case it isn't obvious) that I believe tithing should be a matter between you and the Lord. I certainly don't look down upon my mother (who chips in a couple of bucks here and there at her church and does an amazing job teaching children's church) or anyone else who has a different understanding of giving....and I am utterly appalled at those who would turn away the poor from their congregation.

I don't know all the details of this woman's circumstances. I don't know if she is a specific denomination and that denomination demands tithing or if was just one church and she assumes they are all that way. If the latter is the case it is a shame.

Does it vary from church to church within the same denomination sometimes? For example the Baptist church on one side of town doesn't require but the one on the other side of town does?

For those churches that don't require some type of tithing, how do they support the building, utilities, payroll, programs for the congregation?

I do believe tithing is a commandment - so we pay our 10% whether it's hard to do or not. We always manage somehow. God gave us everything - we like to remember Him and give some back.

BUT - not paying tithing should NOT keep someone from attending church. It's just like all the other commandments. Nobody is perfect. If only perfect people can attend church then what's the point of it?

I don't know all the details of this woman's circumstances. I don't know if she is a specific denomination and that denomination demands tithing or if was just one church and she assumes they are all that way. If the latter is the case it is a shame.

Does it vary from church to church within the same denomination sometimes? For example the Baptist church on one side of town doesn't require but the one on the other side of town does?

For those churches that don't require some type of tithing, how do they support the building, utilities, payroll, programs for the congregation?

Our community of believers is run as a lay community... we have no paid staff. Everyone pitches in. So our expenses are quite small. We used to rent a hall or meet in homes until we had saved up enough to pay for the one we have now.

We do find that there is no problem supporting the programs we run just out of the freewill offerings. We also support several international causes. The financial information is discussed at quarterly meetings with the congregation, so we all know how we stand.

If we had to pay a huge mortgage and salaries, yes, we'd be right broke :)

My church does not "require" tithing, but we do believe that it is a commandment. They don't keep track of who gives what except for tax purposes, but DH prefers to give anonymously and so we never write a check or write our name on our tithing envelope.

That being said, we also live paycheck to paycheck and sometimes we really don't know how much (if any) money will be there for bills, food, etc., but we still believe that we should tithe anyway. We have had our moments where we stumble on this, we are only human, but we have found that when we tithe, things always work out. When we don't it seems that things just get harder. It's an act of faith, like pps mentioned. However, I agree that it is between you and God. It isn't the church's place to demand it or enforce it. IMO.

I'd just like to clarify that while we LDS certainly believe tithing is a commandment, no one is making us do it as a condition of attending church. They don't see our tax returns and it's entirely voluntary. You can go to an LDS church and not pay tithing, and no one will ever know except the people who manage the money.

The other question about the old and new covenants and what's been done away with is a good one. We LDS believe in continuing revelation, so if the prophet says that tithing is still a good idea, we are confident that that is the case. We consider tithing to be the 'lesser law,' and really we ought to be trying as much as we can to live according to the higher law of consecration described in the New Testament. Tithing is sort of the minimum level, and we're trying to do better than that, or at least be prepared to do so.

I left our last church for the two million dollar remodel and then the other million dollar addition, with the 20 minute guilt trip each Sunday on tithing.

I agree with Parrothead and Simka.

And, frankly, I got tired of trying to explain to people why they weren't getting blessed by paying 10%, even though they couldn't feed thier kids. Because they were being obedient, no? They should be blessed, pressed down, shaken together and overflowing? Pastors shouldn't make promises to desperate people that they can't fulfill. Becuase explaining how it rains on the just and unjust when they're being 'obedient' doesn't make sense to them.

Edited by justamouse

I left our last church for the two million dollar remodel and then the other million dollar addition, with the 20 minute guilt trip each Sunday on tithing.

Oh my word!! You don't happen to live in Mufreesboro do you? There is a church here that is HUGE and they just keep on adding and remodeling and adding. I can't even imagine where all that money is coming from.

I'm a Baptist. I gave a very small amount and volunteered in the elementary education dept. as a Sunday School teacher, Awana leader, and kids choir helper. I loved every minute of it. I don't recall hearing anything about mandatory tithing. I remember hearing the pastor asking for whatever families could give in certain situations and I certainly don't recall anyone ever talking about regular weekly tithing.

I'm a Baptist. I gave a very small amount and volunteered in the elementary education dept. as a Sunday School teacher, Awana leader, and kids choir helper. I loved every minute of it. I don't recall hearing anything about mandatory tithing. I remember hearing the pastor asking for whatever families could give in certain situations and I certainly don't recall anyone ever talking about regular weekly tithing.

This right here shows it can vary from church to church as well. I'm a Baptist too. :) As I said before it isn't required, but we do believe that you should tithe 10% of your income. Some people pay weekly, others do it monthly. No one checks up on you about it though. Although, even here in my town there are all sorts of varieties of Baptists: free will baptists, independent baptist, southern baptist, etc.

I also would like to know about the Old Testament rules we think we can/cannot obey. For instance in one breathe the OT talks about h0m0s*xuality being bad, which many agree with, but a couple of verses later, it says that women in the middle of menses are unclean, no one really follows this. I know that the NT often refers back to the OT for guidance but is selective as to what rules are to obey or not.

Lara

Edited by Lara in Colo

If you read the entire New Testament, the distinction between the moral law and the ceremonial law is consistent with it. That means that the ceremonial law has been completely fulfilled by Christ, but the moral law remains normative and useful.

The NT also suggests that people give 'as God has prospered them' and regularly, and also to specific needs as they come up. It doesn't postulate a specific percentage for that proportionate giving.

I live in the south and attend church. I tithe when I work and don't tithe when I am just being a SHAM. My dh was not a Christian until about 18 months ago. He didn't attend church with me. He was not about to let me tithe with his money.

I have attended Nazarene, Assembly of God, Free Will Baptist, Southern Baptist, Independent Baptist, Non-denominational and maybe a few other in the past 20 years

I have never been told or heard it preached that tithing is a requirement to attend.

I absolutely believe in tithing but it should not be a litmus test about who can attend church.

I absolutely hate that young women has been so mislead.

There is a church that dh and I have been interested in joining - for when we move. They don't "require" tithing, as in one will still get to attend church but not fully participate in all the activities. My dh is going to have issue with that.

We give. We believe people should because the church needs to pay its bills and have funds to develop new programs, support missions, hire additional staff, etc. It would be nice if all of the above didn't require money, but they do.

The issue is that my dh is against the flat-rate tithing. He truly believes in giving as led. This many mean ten percent one time, fifteen another, eight another, twenty another, five another, etc. He doesn't believe that giving to a church should be treated as any other bill. I know that all those amounts totaled over the course of a year will equal 10 percent or more on average, which would make it a non-issue, but it is an issue to him.

Building was paid off long ago. Utilities and such are paid from weekly donations, not required, a freewill offering. Each week has a budgeted versus actual received in the bulletin so the congregation can see if there is a need or a surplus. Most programs have a cost associated with them, though there is usually a fund for those families who can't pay. So CCD, VBS, etc., etc., all have a per child cost to them. I know that is different from other churches/other areas.

We are Catholic. In addition to the weekly offering/tithe, there are special envelopes for various causes - retirement for our religious have a fund/offering envelope yearly, missions causes, on and on. We are asked to give and various suggested amounts, but never required.

we tithe out of a grateful heart, we read about it and studied it in the bible, and love giving. we give with a cheerful heart

We have never gone hungry, cold or without.

We give more as an offering of worship.

God doesn't need our money, but He does want our worship and service.

He made money come out of a fishes mouth.

I serve the God who died for me, took my sins and gave me life!

the government sure takes a whole lot more and they don't care about my groceries or rent, and they didn't die for me! ♥

if

it came to groceries or tithe

we choose to continue to give our tithe

every time

and

love it when the door bell rings

with a friend or neighbor who just happens to give

huge bags of rice, oranges and even Elk meat

What do you do if you can't afford to tithe?

Tithing isn't about the money -it's about the faith.

I'm LDS - we pay 10%. We also live paycheck to paycheck and never have money "just for fun".

We pay our tithing FIRST - before we pay any of our other bills.

We ALWAYS have enough to meet our needs and if we don't then God provides.

As an example - one time DH was out of work. The car needed fixing and we had no food in the house and we had a couple of bills that were overdue and needed paying and it was my son's birthday and we had no gift for him. We payed our tithing anyway and prayed and told God we had no money.

The next day the we got a deposit in our account from money that the govenrment owed us and it was the exact amount we needed to cover all the expenses we needed and money left over to buy our son some nice birthday gifts

That isn't the first time - things like that happen a lot.

People who are poor can't afford NOT to pay their tithing because if you don't show the faith God can't bless you with what you need.

In our experience when we don't pay our tithing we run out of money way before when we do pay it -it doesn't make sense but it works.

The New Testament's words on giving are about sacrificial, extravagant *giving* of one's money and resources. It says we're not bound by the OT laws, but the new theme is to not LIMIT oneself. I like this because it's between me and God to decide what IS a sacrificial gift! Many times it's more than 10%. Sometimes it's less because we have less to work with. I don't believe in a straight 10% tithe in any New Testament church. I DO believe in giving to God first, however.

But if we had to tithe 10% to please the Lord every single time, we'd have to downsize to a shack, eat only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, come to church in holey jeans and pray that God would make up our shortfall EVERY 2 weeks. (hehe, maybe "holy" jeans are OK, though?) Right now we're in a less than 10% giving mode and we've "upped" our service and time commitments. Some people would say that we need to trust more and expect that God will be faithful to pay our gas bill or whatever. We've actually gotten ourselves into very unpleasant situations BY tithing that 10%. No one ever talks about that, we only hear stories where God miraculously gives someone a new job or someone gets an anonymous $1000 in the mail and it's totally attributed to the person's faithfulness in tithing a specific amount. I think that's edging towards a prosperity gospel. God does bless us when we're faithful, but I'm going to listen to what HE says is faithful on my part.

I can't imagine any church not asking it's members to give faithfully. That's Biblical. Putting a number on it is a different story.

I've not read all the replies.

We're PCA and giving tithes are up to the individual. No one will go looking for a member who doesn't tithe. That information is kept confidential and even the pastor doesn't know who or how much individuals in the church tithe.

Tithing is between the individual and God.

Tithing is an old testament command to Jewish believers who were under the "law". But we are taught that new testament believers (us) are under grace. While we should tithe, no one in the church is going to slam us if we don't or feel we can't for a time.

Perhaps the lady you met has been taught differently. It's a shame she feels she can't join worship since she is poor. This makes me feel sad.

We belonged to a church once where the secretary would walk out before service and hand people their tithing statements. If they tithed, she would smile and hand it to them face up, but if they didn't, she would frown, be cold, and hand it to them face down - in front of everyone.

I felt so bad for them. It was just wrong. While they certainly didn't require tithing, there were consequences for not - public shame. I've seen this in other churches where it isn't required but there is a certain amount of shame or bullying involved. We haven't been at the receiving end of it, but watching it is appalling enough. We don't last long in churches such as that (denominations varied, btw).

and pray that God would make up our shortfall EVERY 2 weeks.

And why wouldn't he? He makes up ours every paycheck as in we ALWAYS have enough to meet our needs even when we are running short of money. I'm not saying we are finding money deposited into our account every week but there are other blessings that count. Your car keeps running even though the gas gauge reads empty, someone drops a bag of food at your door, the neighbour comes over and gives you a bag of clothes that contain the perfect sized, near new jeans your kid needs, you are able to mend your broken washing machine without having to call a repairman even though you have no knowledge of how to do this, etc etc.

It isn't always about getting extra money -it's about God seeing your most current NEEDS and helping you get them.

Keep in mind - sometimes God sees your most current need as learning to go without so that you can be more grateful and learn to recognise when he blesses you :001_smile:

I don't think you're snarky. It's sad to see what is happening to our church. I'm pretty sure a lot of people in the church would love the chance to go back and do things differently. We are in an area where too many churches sprung up from 2000-2010. Our area was thriving and our church took too many risks and built on a big addition.

Edited by VeteranMom
editing

As Catholics, we are not expected to tithe. I guess they might hope we do, but it is never stressed and there is no guilt put on you if you put two dollars in the collection plate.

My friend's grandfather attended the local Catholic church. He said he used the official collection envelopes the church provided until the day the church started posting how much everyone was tithing on a public board. He said he switched to cash at that point because the tax credit wasn't worth the public discussion of who was paying how much.

The church I grew up in did envelopes, too. You picked a box and let the secretary know what number you picked. At the end of the year, you would get a note from the church letting you know how much you had tithed which you could use on your taxes since they were donations to a non-profit.