Menu

I'm quitting BSF - need some ideas for independent bible study to do at home

I think my bible study needs must be like my workout needs. I just do better at home alone rather than in a class. I love the depth and breadth of BSF, and I enjoy the lectures, but I am just not that into the small group. I do like writing down answers to questions as it helps me solidify what I have read.

Any ideas for me?

Kay Arthur has some good studies in her precepts grouping. I also do not do that well with a group setting because of constant schedule conflicts. I find I miss more than I can attend. Nancy Leigh Demoss has some too that are interesting. What type study are you looking for? Topical, whole book, light, heavy, etc?

Kay Arthur has some good studies in her precepts grouping. I also do not do that well with a group setting because of constant schedule conflicts. I find I miss more than I can attend. Nancy Leigh Demoss has some too that are interesting. What type study are you looking for? Topical, whole book, light, heavy, etc?

I'll say "topical/medium-heavy." :D

I think my bible study needs must be like my workout needs. I just do better at home alone rather than in a class. I love the depth and breadth of BSF, and I enjoy the lectures, but I am just not that into the small group. I do like writing down answers to questions as it helps me solidify what I have read.

Any ideas for me?

If you are looking for something similar in style as BSF, my DH and I have been enjoying the Explorer's Bible Study for adults. Like BSF, it contains notes and then questions to be answered. These go verse by verse and the sets contain approx. 30 weeks of study.

When we bought Genesis 1 1/2 years ago, we bought the Complete Set and it came with all the original study books plus had an answer key in the back of a nice notebook. The individual study guides are paperback with no answers. I can't tell on their website if they still do this, but thought I'd bring it up if you decide to go with the Bible study. :)

If you like the BSF books, Joy of Living has a similar format. You study one book of the bible verse by verse. They offer a free 4 week sample that gives you a good idea of how their studies are set up. I've done that one and the book of John.

If you decide you like them, I would not order the additional CD's. The recording quality was so bad that I couldn't even listen to them.

I enjoyed the book study and have thought about going through another.

It's kind of hard to tell whether this is more bible study-ish or devotional-ish. How would you categorize it?

She has both. If you scroll down in her bookstore, you will see a bunch of studies with a window pictured on the front. Each one deals with a book of the Bible. These are her Bible studies.

Similar situation here. We're in our 6th or 7th year in CBS. We've not done BSF.

My dd is in the oldest CBS "homeschool" class which is a teens class. I'm always keeping my ears to the ground listening to recommendations in case there may not be enough teens to make a class the following year.

:bigear:

I 'second' the suggestion for Precept studies- there are a variety of types-

-topical

-duration

-depth

-homework/no homework

-book of the Bible

Many of them have the videos ONLINE- making it very convenient to do it alone.

I HIGHLY recommend them. I teach them at our church and see the benefit of the inductive method EVERY single lesson!

The best Bible learning experience I've had is reading through a book of the Bible while doing one of these free "Bible Class Books": http://www.padfield.com

They are deceptively simple content questions for the most part, similar to what is in the Balancing the Sword books (which I also like), but it's amazing how much you learn when you have to spit back what you just read! I did double-takes so many times realizing I had glossed over simple clues to meaning or context, etc.