Menu

Help: cookies for a party in two hours look like bOOks

So, I tried a new recipe for cookies:http://www.foodreference.com/html/a109-cookie-exchange.html. Look at the cute ones with a kiss inside drizzled with choc.

Unfortunately, mine did not stay in dough ball shape, have spread and now look like bOOks. Not a little bit - a lot!

Do I:

Take them anyway and pretend they don't look both stupid and somewhat obscene

Stick a red m&m in the center and work it

Quick run to the store and throw some store bought ones on a plate

Pour Kahlua in my coffee and bring some to share with others

All of the above

We need a picture. :D

(Okay my real answer is take them anyway, they are probably not as bad as you think they are. Don't put red M&M's on them, don't comment on their looking like booKs, and whatever you do, don't arrange them in pairs haha. But still I am curious, so post a picture)!

Edited by NanceXToo

I think the red M&M would make it look worse, lol.

If it makes you feel better, my kiss-filled snowballs did the same thing this year. I chilled the dough... then left the cookie sheet sitting on the warm oven. Then because they weren't ball shaped, my 3yo thought they were supposed to be flat, so he smashed half of them down with a spatula. They still taste good!

Can you melt the tops more?? Hmm, do you have any sprinkles and would there be a way to apply them now?? I'd have to see what you're talking about, but my first thought of the red M&M seemed it would only make it worse...but I guess not if you think it will work...?

So, I tried a new recipe for cookies:http://www.foodreference.com/html/a109-cookie-exchange.html. Look at the cute ones with a kiss inside drizzled with choc.

Oh, I see ... it has a 3D topo effect going for it also. Funny! I would warm up a cookie sheet, place the cookies upside down on them, compress with spatula, and sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar

Edited by mirth

Unfortunately, mine did not stay in dough ball shape, have spread and now look like bOOks. Not a little bit - a lot!

Do I:

Take them anyway and pretend they don't look both stupid and somewhat obscene

Stick a red m&m in the center and work it

Pour Kahlua in my coffee and bring some to share with others

All of the above

DO NOT PUT THE RED M AND M IN THE CENTER -- THINK ABOUT IT! ;)

Presentation is everything! How are you going to package these for transport? Do you have a pretty Christmas or holiday cookie tin? Paper Doilies or pretty wrapping paper cut to fit the tin? The most you will need are some little cupcake papers or you can skip those. You need red and green or silver kisses, little candy canes, peppermint candies -- use your inagination. Layer the cookies in the tin and sprinkle with christmas candy, peppermint candy, etc. If you have peppermint candy, take some and crush them to a fine powder and sprinkle them over the cookies after the tin is filled. Do you have red or green or white wrapping shred? Curling ribbon? Either of those will work -- sprinkle it here and there over the cookies -- don't worry about the cookies. They will be fine -- I went to a cookie xchange last week and two different people each brought a bag of Chips Ahoy and a bag of Vienna Fingers. Your cookies will be great -- just remember: it's all in the presentation. Look how much $$$ Martha Stewart has made with that philosophy!;)

:iagree: I'm thinking some sort of tassel garnish is required!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tassles and served in pairs! I knew y'all could help me.

Ok, I took a pic and will figure out how to post it after the party so y'all can all see.

In the meantime, I am trying the cook more, flatten the center and camo with sprinkles. Will also try to find a dark corner to place my cookie tray.

Y'all are the best. Since I am a terrible baker, I'm sure I will have other baking mishaps, so please keep the ideas coming. Plus, they are making my day.

:)

We need a picture. :D

(Okay my real answer is take them anyway, they are probably not as bad as you think they are. Don't put red M&M's on them, don't comment on their looking like booKs, and whatever you do, don't arrange them in pairs haha. But still I am curious, so post a picture)!

:lol: so funny!

I agree about wanting to see a photo!

Argh. Ok, use small words. How do I post a pic here? I can either get it so huge that it causes my computer to freak out, or it just comes up as a file name.

FTR - I brought one plate of the cookies in and the ladies cracked up. Several were perturbed because I did not bring in kahlua. Still very glad I didn't since the pastor and office staff of the church (where my co-op meets but not my church) came in to judge the cookie contest.

Serve them in pairs and frost little bikini tops on them. :D

Or, sell them in pairs as they are and say that 100% of the proceeds will be donated to breast cancer research.

:iagree:

I'm thinking these would be fun to take to the Breast Center where I'm getting treatment. WITH the red M&M, of course. Snicker, snicker...

Oh. Wow. :lol:

Reminds me of the time I was making meatballs and cocktail weenies for a party. Since I was putting the same sauce on both of them, I decided to dump them both in the same crock pot together {sigh}. Umm...yeah. They looked obscene all together. My five teenagers heard me giggle, and peeked in the crockpot for themselves. They were totally :eek: and insisted that we could NOT show up for a party with that. We were a little late for the party--it takes some time to sort, separate, and segregate 5 lbs. of meatballs and 3 lbs. of cocktail weenies so that they don't look like little...male parts. :001_huh:

Reminds me of the time I was making meatballs and cocktail weenies for a party. Since I was putting the same sauce on both of them, I decided to dump them both in the same crock pot together {sigh}. Umm...yeah. They looked obscene all together. My five teenagers heard me giggle, and peeked in the crockpot for themselves. They were totally :eek: and insisted that we could NOT show up for a party with that. We were a little late for the party--it takes some time to sort, separate, and segregate 5 lbs. of meatballs and 3 lbs. of cocktail weenies so that they don't look like little...male parts. :001_huh:

:lol::lol::lol:

:iagree:

I'm thinking these would be fun to take to the Breast Center where I'm getting treatment. WITH the red M&M, of course. Snicker, snicker...

:grouphug: will gladly send you the recipe though I think it takes my special lack of skill to make these. Hope your treatment goes well. Very impressed with your great sense of humor.

At my house this is what happens -

Actually I buy store bought cookies before I try making them myself because they usually don't turn out and it saves me running to the store later which is what I have to do 99% of the time.

My DH would eat those cookies :lol:

At my house this is what happens -

Actually I buy store bought cookies before I try making them myself because they usually don't turn out and it saves me running to the store later which is what I have to do 99% of the time.

My DH would eat those cookies :lol:

Oh dh enjoyed eating them. Will not share his comments as this is a family site. ;)

Argh. Ok, use small words. How do I post a pic here? I can either get it so huge that it causes my computer to freak out, or it just comes up as a file name.

FTR - I brought one plate of the cookies in and the ladies cracked up. Several were perturbed because I did not bring in kahlua. Still very glad I didn't since the pastor and office staff of the church (where my co-op meets but not my church) came in to judge the cookie contest.

Were the bOOk cookies in the contest?

I bet the cookies' "milk" chocolate centers would have blown away the competition! Breast in show! :lol:

Edited by BarbecueMom
More pun

DH said, "naturally uneven."

:lol: Oh my! I'm feeling too awful to laugh that much. I think I might just take this to a potluck some day. :D

Were the bOOk cookies in the contest?

I bet the cookies' "milk" chocolate centers would have blown away the competition! Breast in show! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sadly, some "festive" snowman cookie took home the prize. Probably because my cookies were naturally uneven. Next year, I think I may make two giant hershey's kiss cookies and go for a Dolly Parton entry.