Menu

What do you do when you see a live animal in the (busy) roadway?

I was running an errand in the afternoon and came upon stopped traffic. I thought there may be an accident ahead, but eventually I saw that it was because of a raccoon in the left lane (my lane) of a five-lane road. Cars were stopped and/or slowing all around on this 40 mph stretch between two busy intersections.

I slowed and decided to drive into the turn lane to avoid the raccoon, waiting for my turn behind the other cars in that lane.

The raccoon was frozen. I wonder if there wasn't something wrong with it for the raccoon to be venturing out in this busy roadway in the middle of the day. Of course, it could have been hit already and in shock or pain.

I noticed that two drivers -- women -- stopped their cars and got out -- one on a frontage road and another in the center turn lane.

That made me extremely nervous. What were they planning to do? They couldn't catch or move an injured wild animal. If they tried to coax or frighten it, it may have darted into the oncoming traffic in the other direction.

And what about the danger to themselves? It seems very risky to be walking in that roadway, regardless of the concern of the slowing drivers.

I did not wait around. I had an appt, and when I passed by later, there was no sign of the raccoon.

Sigh.

I'm not hard-hearted, but I don't think there's anything I (or those concerned women) could have done.

So, what should you do? Just attempt to avoid it, like I did? If anyone had tried to call an animal control agent, it surely would have been too late . . .

I'm thankful I could avoid it, but I've heard of tragic consequences to drivers who tried to miss an animal. :crying:

It left me a little shaken. First I was worried about the animal, and then I was worried about those women.

Well, I once came to a complete stop and honked at a flock of ducks that decided to cross and then STOP right in front of me.

I honked a few times. They didn't move--just looked up at me like "We're ducks. We are not in a hurry." :glare:

I finally had 14 yo ds get out and chase them across. Good thing it was a rural country road. One person did come up behind me, but pretty quickly realized what was happening and didn't try to pass or anything. I'm sure she was amused. My son was in his Civil Air Patrol dress blues chasing ducks and waving his arms. Of all the times to not have a camera. :tongue_smilie:

A raccoon on a busy road? No way would I get out of my car and try to do anything. An injured wild animal can be dangerous. What were they going to do? Take it to a vet? :confused:

Well, I once came to a complete stop and honked at a flock of ducks that decided to cross and then STOP right in front of me.

I honked a few times. They didn't move--just looked up at me like "We're ducks. We are not in a hurry." :glare:

If you hit the brakes to avoid hitting a pair of ducks on a busy street during morning traffic, you run a high risk of getting rear ended and having the back of your vehicle damaged. And of the cop laughing at the whole thing.

Ask me how I know. :001_huh:

I am one of those (probably unsafe) people who will stop traffic if there is an animal in the road. I routinely pull over and try to get loose dogs into my car if they are on the highway. I stop or slow for any animal that is trying to cross the road. If the animal seemed sick or in need of care, I would call the sheriff or animal control and would wait for someone to come. I realize this can be unsafe in itself but I would not be able to pass and do nothing. Just could not do it.

I'm glad you stopped for them. Last time I stopped for a bunch of baby ducklings to cross the road, a heartless idiot didn't find it necessary to do the same and ran over one right in front of me. :cursing::cursing::cursing:

I used to regularly drive over a bridge that connected an island to the mainland. Part of it was high and the crosswinds could be fairly bad. Pelicans and gulls sometimes became trapped by the wind if they landed on the bridge. They would generally huddle on the line in the middle of the road. On several occasions I would stop and throw a towel or something over a trapped bird and put it in the car and it would generally spend the night in the bathroom and go to the wildlife rehab center to be checked out the next day.

Well we are the crazy people that stop.:tongue_smilie: Dh once stopped traffic to save a opossum. He plays in traffic for a living though as a traffic engineer. He had his reflective vest in the car (it was night). He put it on and grabbed a coat. He threw the coat over the opossum and picked it up. It was injured, but very much alive. I hopped in the driver seat and we drove a little ways down the road while dh held the opossum. We called parks & rec. to come retrieve the little guy and care for it. They did and it recovered.

Dh and I both worked at the Virginia Living Museum way back in the day and took animal rehab courses. I've handled opossums before so this didn't bother us. Now a raccoon would be a little different of a story though.

By the way, dh and I caught h*** from my friend over this. The coat he grabbed from the back of the car...yeah, it was hers. She had left it in our car a while back. Dh didn't think about it. It was a vinyl raincoat. I offered to replace it. I was willing to keep it (and buy her another one) because it washed up just fine. She ended up taking it back with a lot of grumbling and declined our offer. We don't discuss opossums now, it's a sore subject in our friendship. :tongue_smilie:

Count me on the crazy list. I've picked up a hit woodpecker from the middle of a busy residential road. I've brought a hit frog with me home in the car. I've stopped to check on animals to see if they could still use some help or were already dead. I've tried to entice a coyote into my car, because I thought it was a poor, lost dog running down the side of a country highway. I brought a bowl of water right up to a dehydrated skunk that found himself trapped in my garage (I didn't know it had happened). I've attempted to soothe a couple of feral kittens (p.s. I don't think it can be done--at least not in one day). And there's more. Much, much more.

If it was safe to stop I would stop.

Years ago I stopped to help a bunch of ducklings cross the street. Mama duck had led them across but they couldn't jump the median and were just sorta stuck running around one side of the road.

When cars were coming I got their attention and they slowed down. Finally a guy stopped and helped me. We got them all scooped up and back to mama.

If it wasn't 11am I would've bought that guy a beer: you just saved a family of ducks...you know what that means...it's Miller time!

I was so intent on getting them with mama that it wasn't until later that I happily freaked out: "I held ducklings!!"

I leave wild animals to fend for themselves, especially on busy roads. I'll slow down, but wouldn't get out of the car or anything. Most of the animals in the road that we encounter here, though, are livestock (chickens and sheep mostly) on country roads. So I'll stop to try to shoo them back into their yard or field. I'll tell you what. Sheep really are dumb animals. And they're fast. I have a whole new respect for sheepdogs after living here. :001_smile:

It really depends. I see so many animals on the road, there are so many scenarios that come to mind! Plus if I'm near home we're talking about quiet country roads/streets with no traffic. If I'm in "town", that means moderate traffic but usually not safe to stop suddenly or swerve. So it totally depends on the animal and the location.

Alligator on highway? Speed up and avoid by changing lanes.

Alligator blocking one-lane dirt road? Stop and wait for someone to help.

Well we are the crazy people that stop.:tongue_smilie: Dh once stopped traffic to save a opossum. He plays in traffic for a living though as a traffic engineer. He had his reflective vest in the car (it was night). He put it on and grabbed a coat. He threw the coat over the opossum and picked it up. It was injured, but very much alive. I hopped in the driver seat and we drove a little ways down the road while dh held the opossum. We called parks & rec. to come retrieve the little guy and care for it. They did and it recovered.

Dh and I both worked at the Virginia Living Museum way back in the day and took animal rehab courses. I've handled opossums before so this didn't bother us. Now a raccoon would be a little different of a story though.

:

What is it with the opossums in this area. It took me 10 minutes to creep up the on ramp to state rd. 168 because a darn opossum insisted on walking right up the middle of the on ramp lane. I honked and honked but he just wasn't going to move off to the side or go any faster than he felt was reasonable. My kids asked why I was late picking them up from the party at their gym they were at and when I told them they just laughed at me.

I'm hard-hearted too. If it's not a pet, I'll slow down if I can do so safely but find that if I keep going, the animal WILL get out of the way.

Especially true with flocks of geese, which are like rats here in NJ and for the sake of whom people feel compelled to stop traffic and risk their safety and the safety of others.

I prefer to run over a wild animal to prevent injury or property damage.

If it's a pet and I can avoid it safely, I'll absolutely do so. If it involves taking a chance with my safety or that of others, though, I'll be forced run it over.

I'm not risking someone's life or property for the sake of an animal.

Raccoon in the road during the middle of the day just screams rabid to me. I wouldn't approach a raccoon at any time, but this is especially true if it is out during the daytime.

Same here. I wouldn't touch a raccoon during daylight hours. I'll stop for a lot of things, but rabies is nothing to mess with.

We have lots of wild turkeys. They are dumb birds and will cross busy roads whenever they feel like it. I've not hit one yet but I've come close. I'll stop because they ones that decide to walk across the road directly in front of my car are usually pretty big and I'd have to stop to check out the damage if I actually hit the darn thing. Also everyone in town knows about the crazy turkeys. I've only seen 1 roadkill turkey which means other people stop too.

Christine

okay I know this is not the same but this thread reminds me somewhat of something that happened to me. In the late 70's I lived in Los ANgeles and one day I was driving on a busy road with a friend and there was a boy standing in the middle of 2 lanes (he was about 3 or 4), no-one was stopping or even slowing down. We were shocked. We were young, early 20's. I stopped my car real quick, as my friend opened the door and scooped up the boy. We probably could have gotten hit but this was a child, not an animal and no-one was stopping. We took him to the nearest police station. Even now, I still find it hard to believe that people just drove by this little boy.

By the way, I do stop for turtles here in NJ,, but then so does everyone else.

I also would try my best to stop for a cat or dog. I have never had to but I am sure that I would.

Not necessarily...they do get out of the way if you keep going. We have a ton of those here too.

:iagree:

And turkeys can fly. They just tend to choose not to. I once chased (in my mini-van on a dirt road) about a dozen or about 50 yards so down the road before they finally took off.

What is it with birds getting in front of me and refusing to just CROSS the darn road? :lol:

I'm glad you stopped for them. Last time I stopped for a bunch of baby ducklings to cross the road, a heartless idiot didn't find it necessary to do the same and ran over one right in front of me. :cursing::cursing::cursing:

Oh, that's so horrible. :sad:

I was pretty sure given how huge they were, that they belonged to someone nearby. They had not the slightest fear of my car. I just hope that person was watching out their window and decided that letting them free range was a bad idea. I haven't seen them since.

okay I know this is not the same but this thread reminds me somewhat of something that happened to me. In the late 70's I lived in Los ANgeles and one day I was driving on a busy road with a friend and there was a boy standing in the middle of 2 lanes (he was about 3 or 4), no-one was stopping or even slowing down. We were shocked. We were young, early 20's. I stopped my car real quick, as my friend opened the door and scooped up the boy. We probably could have gotten hit but this was a child, not an animal and no-one was stopping. We took him to the nearest police station. Even now, I still find it hard to believe that people just drove by this little boy.

By the way, I do stop for turtles here in NJ,, but then so does everyone else.

I also would try my best to stop for a cat or dog. I have never had to but I am sure that I would.

How could people just ignore that child? Wow. But good for you- I'm sure it was scary to stop and risk getting hit but like you said, it's was a child!

On more than one occasion I have stopped a car, pulled off safely, and played dodge-em with traffic to get to an animal. Last time was for a tortoise that had somehow made it well into a four lane highway, before that it was dashing out to save a hawk that had been injured by a car.

A raccoon...... I would be very careful because a number of then are rabid.

I eat meat (I can not imagine foregoing a nice rare steak for rabbit food) and think hunting is a fantastic recreation but also believe that we must help animals when we can.

If I could stop or change lanes to avoid hitting an animal, I would. I would not feel any guilt over hitting a wild animal to avoid an accident, though. For a large animal like a cow or a horse, though, I'd absolutely stop and call 911 to report it. A former coworker of mine lost her neice to a bull in the road. Mom of 5, iirc. :( she came around a curve and never had a chance to avoid it. They aren't exactly common around here, though. People generally hit deer.

I have always heard wild turkeys were smart. I once saw a whole flock, standing at the edge of the road, waiting patiently to cross. Farmed/domesticated turkeys....now that's another story.

I stop and get it to move or move it. Especially farm animals, they are a huge danger. Many times we've had sheep or cows in the road here when we drive back farm roads and if someone DID hit something like that with their card the fate of the person in the car would be even worse then the poor animal.

I recall, while living near I-40 in the US someone hit a horse. Rather then STOPPING and allowing people to know and waiting for E-vehicles to show up they did nothing and person after person hit this horse and it caused HOURS of back-up upon the interstate. Not to mention a LOT of people were seriously injured!

Yeah, let me rephrase what I said earlier.

If it were a LARGE, domesticated animal I would make every effort to stop and chase it home. If it were a small animal like a cat or a raccoon, I would TRY to avoid it if I could do so safely.

But no matter how cute the animal is, I'm not (for example) veering into the other lane in traffic to miss it.

It all depends on what it is. If it's a dog, we'll try to get it home or at least safe. If it's a cat, we'll try to stop to let it pass - doubt we'd catch a cat. If it's a horse or cow we'll start making phone calls and try to shoo them off the road. If it's a snake near home, we'll try to hit it. If it's a snake in a national park we'll try to identify it (not kill it). If it's a groundhog we try to kill them, esp near home. Ditto that with coons, foxes, or opossums. Birds we try to avoid. Squirrels we try to avoid (not always successfully). Those make nice cat food... the others we don't try to avoid are farm pests.