Menu

Alphabet Homeschooling Soup Confusion

AmyontheFarm

First, I love this forum! The people on this board have taught me so much and saved me $100's of dollars.

But I wish this forum had acronym macros so that every time a person types in their curriculum acronym it actually wrote it out in full, or at least allowed us newbies to be able to hover over the acronym and see what the actually title of the curriculum is called.

Just my little rant. :glare: BTW, I finally got the tree decorated tonight. I foolishly thought homeschooling my kids would allow me more time to do things with the kids like decorating the tree. But I've learned that I don't like people talking to me while I wrestle those darn lights onto that fake tree!

The second thread on this very forum has a list of most acronyms. Have fun reading!

Except the list is woefully out of date. Among the first three I checked MEP, MCT, and AoPS (that is Mathematics Enchancement Programme, Michael Clay Thompson, and Art of Problem Solving) none are on the list. All are popular programs.

Bill

If you search for the acronym on this site (via google), you can usually easily figure out what it is. Once you've been here a while, you learn the most commonly used ones. Just be patient. :D

eg: MEP site:welltrainedmind.com

:iagree: - I used to rely on the sticky, now I just google it. Also to find threads... sometimes better than the thread search itself, and it doesn't make you WAIT between searches.

Except the list is woefully out of date. Among the first three I checked MEP, MCT, and AoPS (that is Mathematics Enchancement Programme, Michael Clay Thompson, and Art of Problem Solving) none are on the list. All are popular programs.

Bill

One does have to read the whole thread. Both MEP and MCT were on the first few posts. I didn't check for AoPS.

All the same, I do think it is considerate on threads where newbies are asking for curriculum suggestions, for the respondent to just use the title if it's not too much trouble. (And I type like 100 wpm, so it's no trouble for me, but I do understand that some people don't.)

I'm married to an engineer so I am very used to having random acronyms dropped in conversation with a presumption of my knowledge, so I adjusted easily here. But I still didn't like it.

Now, threads where someone is asking for help or clarification on an existing curriculum, acronyms make sense; the only folks participating in the discussion are those with familiarity.

One does have to read the whole thread. Both MEP and MCT were on the first few posts. I didn't check for AoPS.

AoPS is mentioned in post 137. The point is the list has not been updated in years (and it was out of date when first posted). The mentions of MEP and MCT (to give just two examples) are more than two and a half years old but have never been incorporated into the "list."

I know folks are busy, but I think it would be a boon to parents to have a relatively up-to-date list.

Bill

Hang out here for a while and, not only will it get easier, but you will begin to read the real world around you as homeschool acronyms. :glare: I find myself doing it all the time, it is maddening. The other day I spotted an "AAS" sticker on a cop car and for a split second wondered why a policeman would be advertising for All About Spelling. :lol: ;)

Thanks everyone. If I had time I'd update that list but I don't need another project right now, and I suspect neither do any of you! LOL

I'll slowly build a cheat sheet in my computer book here, I know eventually I'll learn most of the abbreviations. I just have to give myself some time.

First, I love this forum! The people on this board have taught me so much and saved me $100's of dollars.

Welcome!

Everyone else has addressed your acronym concerns. I'm just posting to :lol: at the idea of this forum saving you money. Hang around any longer and that statement will do a complete 180 on you. :tongue_smilie:

AoPS is mentioned in post 137. The point is the list has not been updated in years (and it was out of date when first posted). The mentions of MEP and MCT (to give just two examples) are more than two and a half years old but have never been incorporated into the "list."

I know folks are busy, but I think it would be a boon to parents to have a relatively up-to-date list.

Bill

:iagree: