Menu

Who wants an awesome dainty recipe?

DISCLAIMER: Not safe for diabetics, celiac patients, nut allergic, weight conscious, health conscious or anyone not interested in lapsing into a sugar coma.

I made these for the annual dainty swap with my IRL friends and thought I'd share here, too. :D

Hello Dolly Bars (AKA Magic Bars)

1 1/2 c. graham crumbs

6 T melted butter

1 c. coconut flakes

1 T sugar

1 egg

1 1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 c. chopped walnuts

1 can of sweetened condensed milk

Combine graham crumbs, butter, coconut, sugar and egg. Press into a 9"x13" pan lined with parchment paper. On top of the crust, evenly sprinkle chocolate chips and walnuts. Evenly pour condensed milk on top of all of that. Bake in a pre-heated 350°F oven for approximately 25 minutes. Let cool completely. Remove from pan and cut into 36 bars (about 2"x1").

Enjoy. :D

I've heard of a cookie exchange but what's a dainty swap?

It's just like a cookie exchange, except it is with dainties. No cookies allowed. You bake as many dozens of one kind of dainty as there are people in the swap (including a dozen for yourself). Then everyone gathers to swap so that everyone has a dozen of each kind.

Growing up in the South, a million kinds of cookies at Christmas were THE thing. Here, it is dainties. My favourite that I got in this swap was something called Pineapple Slice. Dh and ds already devoured the dozen Peanut Butter Fancies without bothering to ask me if I'd got to try one. :glare: Next year, I'm not telling them that I'm participating and I'm hiding all the dainties from them.

ooo, I love these! They sell a mix for them at the grocery, but there they cost about $4.99 and only make a small batch. Thanks!!

(And thanks for the Turkish Delight recipe, Mrs. M. We always get some at Christmas but it would be fun to make our own--I've heard the recipe in SOTW is a little touch-and-go, so it's nice to have a backup.)

I am making Turkish Delight (among other treats) on Thursday:

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/dessertssweetspastries/r/turkishdelight.htm

Magic bars are always the first thing eaten at parties that feature them!

This sounds like something my kids would love.

Where does one buy rosewater? I've never seen it at the grocery store. Is it expensive?

This sounds like something my kids would love.

Where does one buy rosewater? I've never seen it at the grocery store. Is it expensive?

In the ethnic section of your grocery store, in an ethnic shop (we actually have a middle eastern grocery store here) or in the natural food store. It isn't too expensive.

I'm still not sure what a dainty is. Maybe it is candy??? But the first recipe made me think of a bar cookie which Audrey says are banned from a dainty swap so I'm not getting it....embarassing but true :tongue_smilie:.

Dainties are all those things that aren't cookies. Nanaimo bars are a dainty. Sucre à crème, caramel cups, lemon bars are all dainties. Fudge counts as a dainty in most circles. Maybe what you are calling bar cookies are the same kind of thing. "No cookies" really means no biscuit-style cookies, I think.

I'm still learning some of the "rules" up here, too. :001_smile:

DISCLAIMER: Not safe for diabetics, celiac patients, nut allergic, weight conscious, health conscious or anyone not interested in lapsing into a sugar coma.

I made these for the annual dainty swap with my IRL friends and thought I'd share here, too. :D

Hello Dolly Bars (AKA Magic Bars)

1 1/2 c. graham crumbs

6 T melted butter

1 c. coconut flakes

1 T sugar

1 egg

1 1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 c. chopped walnuts

1 can of sweetened condensed milk

Combine graham crumbs, butter, coconut, sugar and egg. Press into a 9"x13" pan lined with parchment paper. On top of the crust, evenly sprinkle chocolate chips and walnuts. Evenly pour condensed milk on top of all of that. Bake in a pre-heated 350°F oven for approximately 25 minutes. Let cool completely. Remove from pan and cut into 36 bars (about 2"x1").

Enjoy. :D

My grandmother calls these 7-Layer cookies. Her recipe is close to yours, but there is no egg or sugar in hers and she adds butterscotch chips.

GREAT. Now I want some :-/

I am making Turkish Delight (among other treats) on Thursday:

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/dessertssweetspastries/r/turkishdelight.htm

Magic bars are always the first thing eaten at parties that feature them!

I'm totally going to try the Turkish delight recipe. It never occurred to me to make it myself. However, the hummus recipes linked on that page offend me!

(Yes, your link sent me on a bunny trail this morning.)

Magic bars are really popular here in the States! At least when I lived in a northern border state, I saw them at nearly every potluck/party.

Re: some other Canadian sweets, personally I find nanaimo bars to be inedibly sweet, but Butter Tarts are AWESOME. Have you tried making those? I may have to make a batch. They're super easy using frozen tart shells (mini pre-made pie crusts).

And all this talk of Canadian stuff makes me really, really miss Tim Horton's. mmmmmmm