Menu

Books on French History

My kids have a thing for French history. I have no clue why other than maybe that I studied it for a couple of semesters in college and I've told them a few stories. But nevertheless, they love it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good books on French history? I'd love something similar to Yesterday's Classics book or Ambleside-like.

What period and what reading level?

There are some superb books but some of them will be a little too ahem "graphic."

Some novels also do very well Tale of Two Cities, the Scarlet Pimpernel, Les Miserables all give a real sense of France during the period covered. Some give more of a view of Britain but there is still a French element there.

A study of the Revolution offers many books as does as do topics such as the wars against the English.

My 12yo is most interested in the Revolutionary time period but history leading up to that period is fascinating for her also. She's read just about everything our library system has in the children's area on Napoleon. My son loves anything French from literature to poetry to history..

My 12yo can read on an adult level but I would like to avoid graphic topics of a sexual nature. My 9yo can read Brian Jacques books so maybe Junior High?

My 12yo is most interested in the Revolutionary time period but history leading up to that period is fascinating for her also. She's read just about everything our library system has in the children's area on Napoleon. My son loves anything French from literature to poetry to history..

My 12yo can read on an adult level but I would like to avoid graphic topics of a sexual nature. My 9yo can read Brian Jacques books so maybe Junior High?

The problem you face, for the 12 year old, is that you are right on the cusp.

Books like Frasier's Marie Antoinette are very good but that particular one delves into the peccadilloes of the French Court at a level that no one would really want a 12 year old to read. Somerset's Affair of the Poison's has in its title infanticide, satanism and murder so that too is out.

You may need to stick with Hugo, Baroness Orczy, Dickens and Austen to get a sense of the period. (French Revolution)

Of course one should not forget Lady Thatcher's comment on the French Revolution "Human rights did not begin with the French Revolution...[they] really stem from a mixture of Judaism and Christianity...[we English] had 1688, our quiet revolution, where Parliament exerted its will over the King...it was not the sort of Revolution that France's was...'Liberty, equality, fraternity' — they forgot obligations and duties I think. And then of course the fraternity went missing for a long time. "

Though some may disagree and read them first, I always enjoyed Henty and some of his stories about France. At Agincourt-White Hoods of Paris is rather good and could easily be understood by a 9 year old. (read it first or download from Librivox.org)

Also Porch's The French Foreign Legion is excellent.

Tuchman's A Distant Mirror is, while not her best, a good read on the 14th Century.

Edited by pqr

Oh! I have a bunch of Henty books. I need to look through them.

I have yet to read it but St. Bartholomew's Eve - A Tale of the Huguenot Wars looks interesting.

Looking through my library I must also note Simon Schama's Citizens as well. (Revolution)

Edited by pqr