Menu

Excellence in Literature

Daisy

You might want to go ask on the Logic and High School boards as that is an Upper level course. I have looked at it but it is way too much writing for mine. It would never get done.

I've got the first 2 books. The books are set up by units, so it's easy to pick and choose what units to do. I plan on getting the other 3 by the summer and plan the units/books in what ever order I choose. We're on our 3rd unit for the school year (we started it late).

A unit lasts 4 weeks (though truthfully Unit 1, short stories, took 2 weeks and Unit 2, Verne, took 3. We're doing Jane Eyre now and it will take up all 4 weeks). It gives explicit directions for each week and sample essays/assignments in the back. You research the author, read context essays, watch videos, and write responses. It assumes that you can write an essay, but encourages having a writing guide. We use Essay Voyage and Writing for College. We also have How to Read a Book (recommended in EiL), but we haven't cracked it yet.

I like it because it takes some of the burden off of me to plan an in depth study of a novel and I liked the novels chosen. DD likes it because the instructions are explicit while being short and sweet. It gets done.

Thanks, ladies. I'm still intimidated by the High School board, but with my daughter heading into 8th grade, I guess I need to get over it. :lol:

:iagree:My oldest is heading into 7th, and I've posted over there a couple of times, but it's so serious! I'm a former PK teacher so give me any messy art project, and I can handle it, but high school terrifies me. I have received some good advice already, though.

ETA:Regarding EiL, how focused is the program on worldview? Or is that a separate component that you purchase? We are Christian(Catholic), but I don't think I want a lit program that dwells on only Christian themes if YKWIM. This program is on my radar to check into.

Edited by Laura in STL

:iagree:My oldest is heading into 7th, and I've posted over there a couple of times, but it's so serious! I'm a former PK teacher so give me any messy art project, and I can handle it, but high school terrifies me. I have received some good advice already, though.

ETA:Regarding EiL, how focused is the program on worldview? Or is that a separate component that you purchase? We are Christian(Catholic), but I don't think I want a lit program that dwells on only Christian themes if YKWIM. This program is on my radar to check into.

I can't really tell by the one unit. I wish they'd give a sample from each level. Since the units are stand-alones you could probably skip any books that were questionable. I just don't know about the questions & essay prompts though.

I've had this bookmarked for over a year already & my oldest is still years away from the recommended start level.

I've read a TON of posts on here about it. If I do it, I'll probably end up starting it in 9th because my oldest is allergic to pencils. :tongue_smilie: I haven't figured out what a good "intro" program to this is, although Lightning Lit & Windows to the World are both on my "continue to check into" list.

I hadn't even considered the worldview issue. So, share if you find out, eh?

One wonders if you can do this & CW at the same time without overloading the kids? :lurk5: