Menu

why in the AG of the SoTW-questions and answers together????

yeah, yeah, I bought the test, they do the test.

but the questions in the book, I am about to sit and type out all the questions in the AG...so they can read and find the answers, then do a narrative.

My girls are 12 and this is our 2nd year of SoTW (we like it and the stories actually work for them).

I have book 3 and 4 and plan on moving and grooving with them thru it, but wonder....

am I missing a key part?

worksheets for the older kids?

thank you from this mom who can't believe she is a homeschooling mom and loving it so much!

SOTW is written for younger children. The parent reads the questions and the student answers. I am using SOTW 2 with my first grader.

The process of listening to a story, answering questions and then dictating a narration is part of grammar stage learning.

Worksheets are not generally seen in classical education. SOTW was written by a classical educator.

edited to add: writing out the questions is one way of making in more workable for older students. There are also books suggested in the AG for older readers. Those can beef up the content and give your kids something else to narrate.

thank you for your response!

Due to being in Public school, where History was not taught, SoTW is perfect to bring it in for my 6th graders. Oh how I wish I had begun in 1st grade, but I struggle with that guilt enough...lol!! :D

I think it is me. My girls do so well, finding the answers to the review questions, I read them and they narrate back to me.

But they are 12 now.

I have all 4 SoTW and even in the last version, the questions have the answers right afterwards.

We are "turned to HSers" late in the game, so narration is a tough one for me to

1. Teach

2. them to get?

guess I am not a classical educator, but I think we may be a classic...lol

We were doing SoTW with all my children at the same time. But my older boys caught it quickly, and enjoyed History, so moved on to more intensive curriculum.

I guess, I will just maintain the slow and steady pace; me read, they take notes, I ask questions, they ponder and respond.

Activities when the are applicable and not take too much time.

Do Map work, and then test for retention.

We were doing M, W, Friday, but we will never finish this volume at this pace.

I let them use their note taking for the test.

Edited by anneofalamo

Due to being in Public school, where History was not taught, SoTW is perfect to bring it in for my 6th graders. Oh how I wish I had begun in 1st grade, but I struggle with that guilt enough...lol!! :D

If you're wanting something a little more substantial for your 6th graders, a great alternative to SOTW for the middle grades is K12's Human Odyssey series.

thank you for your response!

I think it is me. My girls do so well, finding the answers to the review questions, I read them and they narrate back to me.

But they are 12 now.

I have all 4 SoTW and even in the last version, the questions have the answers right afterwards.

We are "turned to HSers" late in the game, so narration is a tough one for me to

1. Teach

2. them to get?

guess I am not a classical educator, but I think we may be a classic...lol

We were doing SoTW with all my children at the same time. But my older boys caught it quickly, and enjoyed History, so moved on to more intensive curriculum.

I guess, I will just maintain the slow and steady pace; me read, they take notes, I ask questions, they ponder and respond.

Activities when the are applicable and not take too much time.

Do Map work, and then test for retention.

We were doing M, W, Friday, but we will never finish this volume at this pace.

I let them use their note taking for the test.

For 6th graders, you can easily omit the questions altogether, and just ask them to retell the story after reading it. Since there are 2 of them, you can switch which one starts first, and have the second child fill in details that the first missed. You can also have each of them write 5-7 questions based on the chapter. Then, each girl can answer her sister's questions. Add a few of your own or from the study guide to go along with the ones they write, if you think they focus too much on unimportant details. Model how to make up good questions and how to figure out what is important in a chapter, if you see they need this.

Sometimes have them write a summary of what happened. Also, at their age, make sure to have discussions about why--why did this happen this way? Why did the person do this? What motives did they have? Was the behavior right or wrong, now we have the perspective of knowing the result? Could they have known the decision was wrong/right at the time? How did they come to the decision they did? How do we make decisions? What can we learn from this event? (Some of these questions don't really have an answer, especially for a 6th grader, but are worth asking just to stir up their thoughts.)