Menu

Are there things you disliked as a child and now as an adult you figured out

ALL vegetables! My mom only knew one way to cook them...TO DEATH! They were always soggy and limp and gag-worthy.

Yup, my mother cooked veggies the same way. They always came frozen in a box, and were encased in ice. She boiled a pan of water, tossed in the frozen veggie-cube, and boiled it till most the water had evaporated. The result was grayish, soggy, limp vegetables with little to no flavor. I hated veggies growing up until I discovered, in college, that I could actually buy them fresh and steam them. I have been a veggie eater since them.

Salad - my mother only bought iceberg lettuce. She said that other lettuce made her feel like a cow eating grass, and only iceberg lettuce tasted food. Salad meant cut up iceberg lettuce with a few tomato quarters on top. Dressing was Thousand Island or Russian, neither of which I liked. So I thought I disliked salads. I discovered, again in college, that I loved salads made with romaine and other darker greens, and Ranch, Oil and Vinegar, and vinaigrette dressings. My mother was shocked when she realized I made and ate salads. Evidently she had forgotten how I continually asked her for other salad dressings and salad ingredients, but she refused because there was perfectly good Thousand Island dressing in the refrigerator.

BTW, my dc have always eaten veggies and salads, except when Grandma makes them. :001_smile:

But in all fairness, there will probably be foods that my dc will eat when they are adults that they don't like as children.

It was because of your parents?

That sounds strange so let me give a couple examples.

I never liked ice tea while growing up. When we were out, I'd ordered it a couple times and just like my mom, I'd put sweet and low in it to sweeten it. Then I moved out of the house and down to NC where sweet tea is what you get unless you say "Unsweetened tea". I love it. I finally figured out I like tea. It's Sweet and Low I don't like!

Similar thing with wine. Mom and dad bought "cheap" wine. I didn't know it was cheap stuff. I figured it was what everyone bought. Wine in the $5-7 range. But now I've been drinking wine for about a year. I found the ones I like are in the $10-14 range. I've been feeling bad about spending that much so I went and tried the ones I remember my folks drinking. I hate them!

So am I the only one?

My mother made tea with a cup and a half of sugar to a 2 quart pitcher :ack2:. I would drink it but never knew what tea actually tasted like. The first time I tried unsweet tea I was in heaven! I can drink sweet tea too, but it is a half cup of sugar in a 2 quart pitcher with a an extra tea bag because I like it strong.

My mother only made veggies out of a can. I had no idea that peas could be so green and non-mushy til I was an adult!

It was because of your parents?

That sounds strange so let me give a couple examples.

I never liked ice tea while growing up. When we were out, I'd ordered it a couple times and just like my mom, I'd put sweet and low in it to sweeten it. Then I moved out of the house and down to NC where sweet tea is what you get unless you say "Unsweetened tea". I love it. I finally figured out I like tea. It's Sweet and Low I don't like!

Similar thing with wine. Mom and dad bought "cheap" wine. I didn't know it was cheap stuff. I figured it was what everyone bought. Wine in the $5-7 range. But now I've been drinking wine for about a year. I found the ones I like are in the $10-14 range. I've been feeling bad about spending that much so I went and tried the ones I remember my folks drinking. I hate them!

So am I the only one?

I'm not a big fan of my mom's cooking, apparently. There are many things I realized I liked when I grew up. Pasta sauce and mashed potatoes are the two that immediately come to mind.

Oh, and my mom used bisquick for a whole bunch of things. Yuck!!

Church! My mom has the strong opinion that it is for weak people who need delusions. I was actually embarrassed to say the words God or Jesus, it felt awkward and like I was saying a bad word for most of my life. I am now LDS and have really gotten over my squeemishness and found such fulfillment in Church.