Menu

Are there things you disliked as a child and now as an adult you figured out

It was because of your parents?

That sounds strange so let me give a couple examples.

I never liked ice tea while growing up. When we were out, I'd ordered it a couple times and just like my mom, I'd put sweet and low in it to sweeten it. Then I moved out of the house and down to NC where sweet tea is what you get unless you say "Unsweetened tea". I love it. I finally figured out I like tea. It's Sweet and Low I don't like!

Similar thing with wine. Mom and dad bought "cheap" wine. I didn't know it was cheap stuff. I figured it was what everyone bought. Wine in the $5-7 range. But now I've been drinking wine for about a year. I found the ones I like are in the $10-14 range. I've been feeling bad about spending that much so I went and tried the ones I remember my folks drinking. I hate them!

So am I the only one?

Stuffed peppers. You know - the bell peppers with the rice and meat?

My mom swore, her whole life, that the recipe said to put the rice in the pepper without cooking it first - so I grew up eating those things with crunchy rice.

Wine as well - but that was the whole family. They drank white Zin and Merlot. Turns out I love wine, but hate white Zin and Merlot.

I disliked so many foods growing up. I used to complain about barbeque all the time; I think it was just in spite of my parents since they liked it. I dont know why I wished to dislike something just because they enjoyed it! I also never liked cucumbers or olives, but I love them now. Now, that one had nothing to do with my parents. I notice that my daughter is as picky as I used to be; Im not sure what fuels that fire.

Stuffed peppers. You know - the bell peppers with the rice and meat?

My mom swore, her whole life, that the recipe said to put the rice in the pepper without cooking it first - so I grew up eating those things with crunchy rice.

Wine as well - but that was the whole family. They drank white Zin and Merlot. Turns out I love wine, but hate white Zin and Merlot.

:lol::lol:

Beets. I hate harvard beets and that is the only way my mom serves them. I began roasting them last year and simply cannot get enough! I avoided them for years and years...

Oh my gosh! Yes - me too. Well - I was only ever given canned beets. Ug - I still do hate those. But real, fresh beets? Whole different story!

My dh sure did. He grew up detesting iced tea and while he ate almost anything, finally figured out his mom is a lousy cook. This was discovered while dating and eating and drinking what was served to be polite;).

For me it was fish, but growing up in AZ the fish was pretty much fish sticks or old stuff.:tongue_smilie:

I wonder why older people burn meat and cook veggies to mush. My mom did the same thing with her food! I love lightly cooked veggies and meat cooked medium. It took me a longtime to figure out why I hated steak: it was burnt!

Yep - all meat was cooked until it was so dry it had cracks in it or was burnt, and all veggies were cooked to a consistency of mushy slime.... Were they that worried about food poisoning, maybe?

Curry. My mom really didn't make good curry sauce.

Just this past year I figured out ways to prepare zucchini that I really enjoy. I still don't like the flavor of plain old cooked zucchini, but I've found a lot of other ways to use it that work well.

My mom hates liver, and therefore never prepared it, so I thought I hated it too. I don't. I'm curious whether the same applies to brussel sprouts, which I've never actually tried.

I've developed a greater tolerance for many other vegetables, which I think is due more to maturing taste buds than any difference in preparation.

Edited by ocelotmom

i remember a day when i was 17 when a friend took me shopping with them and we bought donuts, and they were heavenly.

it turns out my dear dad only bought day old donuts..... which i decided was a completely different food.

he was afraid of dogs, too, and it wasn't until i was an adult that i decided i needed to get over that. we got a cat first, or a cat got us, and i never looked back. i love cats and dogs. a lot.

i wonder what stories our dc will tell about us??!!

ann

ps. i think the generations that lived thru the world wars and the depression cooked things to death because they often didn't have fresh anything, and that refrigeration wasn't as good. you lived longer if you cooked things reallly well... and a lot of it you probably didnt' want to taste al dente at all, at all

I grew up thinking I hated butter, but loved margarine. The only place I'd ever tasted real butter was at grandma's house. Turns out, because she was single and didn't use it very quickly, her butter was always really *really* old (and rancid :ack2:). I married a dairy farmer and found out that butter is really *really* good!

Classical music. My dad believed that it must be listened to loud. Like, shaking the walls of the house, you could hear it on the front lawn when all the doors and windows were closed LOUD. I thought I hated the music, but as it turns out, what I really hated was the volume.

I love classical music now, just at a more reasonable decibel level!

I disliked steak intensely until after I was married. My parents burned every piece of meat to shoe leather and only ordered well done meat in restaurants, so I did the same.

DH encouraged me to try it "medium" instead of "well done". I loved it!

I was an adult before I found out most people don't pour pepper on all their food.

I hated beef, especially steak and roast because it was always way overcooked, of course I didn't know this until I met my dh. He showed me the delights of a good steak, cooked medium rare and juicy. Yum. I also hated most vegetables because all we ever had were commercially canned. Then I spent a summer with a family who had a huge garden and my taste veggies expanded exponentially. Now I loath most commercially canned veggies. I home can and freeze my own - worlds different. :001_smile:

My grandmother (who had far more influence than was healthy) saved every card she ever got. (It was my sister who noticed she was putting up old christmas cards so it would look like she received alot.) we were openly encouraged to "save things", (but to get rid of things that might actually have sentimental value). When I was still a teen I reached a point I asked myself "why am I saving this?" and realized it was grandmother's exhortations. I started throwing stuff out that I had no use for. I was such a rebellious child.;)

Chinese food.

My parents used to open a can of some sort of "chinese food" from the grocery store and put it over rice. It was soooo bad.

Now I love Chinese food and eat at the local buffet at least once a week. In fact, I'll be there tonight. Can't wait for the green beans! Yum!

Many, many foods, for the reasons stated above. My mother always said she wasn't a good cook, but did so defensively in a "but you'll eat it and like it" kind of way. It wasn't until I met my husband and started eating with his family who are very 'foodie' that I discovered that 1) many foods I'd never tried because they were 'not nice' according to mum, were actually nice, and 2) that other foods were actually nice when they'd been cooked to death beforehand.

Heat while sleeping.

We lived in an OLD house with NO air conditioning. In California. We slept on the top floor with a low roof, and my grandmother/legal guradian wouldn't open the windows because she was afraid someone would break in. It was miserable in the summertime, and I can't sleep in the summertime if the thermostat is higher than 76%.

Dh can echo the canned peas :ack2: He'd never had fresh/frozen until me, and I'd never heard of canned peas until we lived with his parents for a while. But he still likes his meat cooked burnt/dry/nasty and they all tease me because I have them take mine piece of the barbeque 10 minutes before they take theirs off. :001_rolleyes:

Scrambled eggs. My mom turned the heat way up to cook them quickly and would chop them up into tiny pieces as they cooked. She'd serve them in tiny, slightly brown, dry crumbly pieces.

Homemade soup. She never knew when to stop and would continue to throw odds and ends into her soup until is was as thick as stew and full of slimy things. My brother and I used to pour it into our napkins and throw it in the toilet.

I had several things I never ate before I went to college. One was Chinese food which I now love- but the only exposure to Chinese Food I had had was one time my Dad bought a can of something and we all agreed it was nasty. Also, my only exposure to Pizza was school lunch pizza. The final one is apples. I don't like neither Red Delicious nor Golden Delicious (though I do use that one now if I making apple sauce). We didn't have lots of varieties of apples. I do like other varieties like McIntosh and Granny Smith to name a few, but still hate Red Delicious.

Jeans. My mother and sister hated denim. Whenever I insisted that I wanted jeans, my mom would buy me jeans that came up so high on my stomach that they actually stuck into my rib cage. In my mom's opinion, the jeans were "riding too low" if my belly button came over the top of the waistband.

Now I buy slightly low-rise, bootcut jeans and could wear jeans every day of the year. Ironically enough, once I found jeans *I* liked, she started buying jeans, too, and came out with the revelation that the belly button doesn't *have* to be covered for jeans to be socially acceptable. That's what (decent) shirts are for!!!

I didn't like salad until I went to college. A few years ago, I figured out that I don't like my mom's salads because she puts a ton of raw yellow onions in them.

I'm with ya on this. A salad, when I was growing up, was a hunk of iceburg lettuce with a couple of cherry tomatoes and Kraft Catalina dressing. Yuck.

Who knew a salad could actually be a beautiful, yummy combination of crisp and flavorful lettuces with toasted almonds, goat cheese, dried cranberries and a nice balsamic vinegarette?

I'm not a good cook and I don't enjoy cooking at all. It would be interesting to hear how my children would answer this question in 20 years . . .

I grew up in the country and was convinced that city living was stressful and downright scary as both parents had never lived in a city or even in town for that matter. However, I found myself to be easily citified and loved all the conveniences. After 14 years of city life, the real adjustment has been returning to the boondox/small town. I miss all those stores and restaurants!

My mother made quite a show of hating hymns and Christmas carols. I do see her point. Some of them are pretty bad, and I am not a fan of choral music.

But now that I am a Christian, so many hymns my mother would have rolled her eyes at are just precious.

:iagree:My grandmother/legal guardian was the same. The church/cult we belonged to believed Christmas was pagan/evil and wasn't allowed. The only song I could sing was "Jingle Bells." I'm outta that church/cult now and I LOVE Christmas carols and listen to them all through the year.

Fish. No one in my family ate fish at all- not my parents or my grandparents. My husband had to win me over as an adult and it was a long process. Now I love fish, but I'm still iffy on most other seafood other than shrimp. I'm so pleased that all my children love and gobble up the fish I make.

My dad is trying to eat healthier and I offered to make him some yummy grilled or baked fish to try while visiting recently. He was skeptical, but willing, but my mom forbade me to cook fish in there and "smell up her house." :lol: Next time they visit me, I'm definitely making it. :D

Also, totally agree with the soggy, boiled veggies. Steaming veggies has opened a whole new world of yum!

Staying home with children. Who knew that it could be a pleasure?

I was adamantly against this as a child, even though (or probably because) my mom was a homemaker. I thought I'd be throwing my life away to "just" stay home with a family. After more than a decade of college and working, I realized it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Now I am a VERY happy and grateful stay at home homeschooling mom.

Just being happy and enjoying LIFE! My mother could never see/say anything uplifting/positive/cheerful or encouraging.

My life is a blessing everyday- I am grateful for all I have and have done. I love being a SAHM mom and feel priveleged to have been able to homeschool our brood for 24 years. I am nuts about my dh and extoll his praises whenever I can....and yes, we've had bumps along the way....but they didn't break us. It wasn't until high school that I figured out that life in general could be WONDERFUL.

My mother is probably chronically depressed but will NEVER seek treatment. So sad that she can't experience the JOY we have. I feel sorry for her.