Menu

School district doesn't know what to do, do you?

When my dd had speech, they did an IEP much like they would for a preschooler that wasn't enrolled. I can't remember what they called it though. Let me see if I can dig up her IEP and see what they listed her as.

ETA: They had her listed as a private school student seeking PS services. The rest of the paperwork seems the same as when she was a PS student. This was in TN.

Edited by Apryl H

Two of my dc have received speech services from the school system. They did the exact same intake process as they would have for a child enrolled in the school system. Then we set up a schedule and I brought my dc to the school to receive the services stipulated in the IEP. They were there with the speech teacher at set times on set days, just as if they were being pulled out of a regular class setting.

Two of my dc have received speech services from the school system. They did the exact same intake process as they would have for a child enrolled in the school system. Then we set up a schedule and I brought my dc to the school to receive the services stipulated in the IEP. They were there with the speech teacher at set times on set days, just as if they were being pulled out of a regular class setting.

ditto

My son has an IEP and he receives 2 45 minute social groups per week and one 30 minute speech therapy once per week at his neighborhood school. He also receives monthly OT consultations.

I'm not sure he still has an IEP. When I pulled him from the cyber in October, I assumed that also took away the IEP.

Technically his IEP from the cyber extends until May, but he's obviously not enrolled in that school.

Request an update to his IEP. This is something they are required to do if you request it.

Whether or not they have to provide services to students not enrolled varies from state to state. Here in Texas it is up to each school district to determine what they will or will not offer. The district we're currently in provides speech therapy but nothing else to homeschooled students. Two of mine received services and were classified as walk-on students, meaning they walked on to campus for speech then walked off again. Also, they didn't have an IEP but an Instructional Services Plan. Different name because the students were classified differently. An IEP address all academic areas but because homeschooled students are only receiving specific targeted services, the terminology is different. Not sure if that applies to all states.

I'm not sure he still has an IEP. When I pulled him from the cyber in October, I assumed that also took away the IEP.

Technically his IEP from the cyber extends until May, but he's obviously not enrolled in that school.

The IEP usually has a phrase on it stating that it is valid for three years or until testing proves goals met. ( I am seriously paraphrasing here, but I have to run to kid's activity.) Check your IEP; if it has been less than three years since testing it should be valid for services.

Whether or not they have to provide services to students not enrolled varies from state to state. Here in Texas it is up to each school district to determine what they will or will not offer. The district we're currently in provides speech therapy but nothing else to homeschooled students. Two of mine received services and were classified as walk-on students, meaning they walked on to campus for speech then walked off again. Also, they didn't have an IEP but an Instructional Services Plan. Different name because the students were classified differently. An IEP address all academic areas but because homeschooled students are only receiving specific targeted services, the terminology is different. Not sure if that applies to all states.

Do these students already have IEPs in place, or are they coming in form outside trying to get an IEP. IME those are two very different animals.

The IEP usually has a phrase on it stating that it is valid for three years or until testing proves goals met. ( I am seriously paraphrasing here, but I have to run to kid's activity.) Check your IEP; if it has been less than three years since testing it should be valid for services.

Last testing was done in 1st grade public (2010-2011) so still valid! This should make the process much easier.

They don't take them away - it is still valid. You need to have an IEP meeting and update the IEP to reflect his only receiving speech services.

FWIW, in our district, a student who leaves public school can no longer receive IEP services.

However, in this case, it sounds like they may be willing to provide services. I don't see why it should be difficult. The IEP testing should still be valid, and if necessary I'd ask for an updated IEP. Then it's simply a matter of writing out how much time weekly he can get with the SLP, presumably at the neighborhood school by appointment.

It totally depends on your state educational laws. I live in NY and a couple years ago they rewrote NY educational law to prevent homeschooled students from receiving special educational services. It had been provided under the same laws governing students in private schools without question. A school didn't want to do it and raised a stink and the servies stopped. There was a lawsuit brought by parents and the state lost. Turns out that most hs'd students who also get special educational services are medically fragile (having chemotherapy etc) or have life threatening allergies etc. It looked very, very bad that the state cut them off. Now hs'd students have equal standing to students in private schools and can have special ed services. My son receives speech therapy, OT and PT. I have to take him to the school for all services etc.

So, check your state educational guidelines. No NOT trust the local school district to tell you how it works. It very well might fall under the same rules as for private school students. But read the law. Know the guidelines and print them out for all involved to read. Every single year, I print them out and send the relevant sections along with all the paperwork I have to file.

My ds (4yo) gets speech therapy through the local ps. He currently has an IEP since he's a preschooler. In June when we redo his IEP, it will change to an ISP (Individual Service Plan) since he is a homeschooler. It may just need to be updated to show that he is a homeschooler and where he will get his therapy. You will probably have to bring him to the school.

Edited to add: His plan will change because he will start K in the fall at home vs. ps.

Edited by athena1277

There's a policy letter on the IDEA website saying that privately schooled/homeschooled students are eligible for services. You might find it and copy it off....it's dated from April (?) of this year.... Add that to the IEP (proving that he's qualified for services) and I think you've got some good leverage.

Our school district has the general must-enroll policy....but I think they are in the wrong. ;)

Do these students already have IEPs in place, or are they coming in form outside trying to get an IEP. IME those are two very different animals.

When I pulled my kids from ps at the end of the 2009 school year, they both had valid IEPs that extended into the 2010 school year and included speech/language therapy. I was informed by the school system at the time that if we were homeschooling we would not be eligible to receive further services through the system.

Even though there is language in the IDEA law that states that systems should/can provide services to homeschooled children, it seems that the determination for whether those services are actually offered is made at the local system level. I know that schools around here provide services for students who are enrolled in private schools, but they do not offer services to students who are homeschooled.

Based on our personal experiences, I have come to the conclusion that you get what you pay for. Even when my kids were receiving services when they were in school, they were getting 1/2 hour two times a week in a small group of 3 to 4 children. Their progress was slow and minimal. Since we have been homeschooling we have paid for their therapy ourselves. (Yes, it is expensive and our health insurance will not pay for it). But it is worth the sacrifice we have had to make. They get a 1 hour one-on-one session. We have seen more progress since they have been in private therapy than we ever did in their therapy with the school system. YMMV.