Menu

I need gift ideas for my 13yo ds.

He has enough electronics, so I don't want to get anything along that line. We'd really like to see him being a bit more active, so no itunes card or computer games. We already have a few smaller gifts picked out for him, but we need one other larger (but not outrageously expensive) main gift. I thought of a rowing machine, but dh doesn't like that idea. He wants weights, but dh is afraid they'd go through his bedroom floor if he dropped them - we live in a very old house. He could use a new bike, but without a dry place to store it, it will be soon in the same condition as his old bike. I thought of maybe darts or an archery set, but I'm a bit afraid of what would happen if his younger brother (who he shares a room with) got ahold of them - he's a bit of a wild child. Any other ideas?

Depending on what your budget is, you can get something that has the same concept as a weight set, but without the actual weights to drop through the floor.

Two things come to my mind...Total Gym. We have this. You are pulling/lifting your own weight, and depending on the angle you have the bench at, will cause different "weights". Plus there's literally hundreds of different ways to exercise with it. They do payment plans, if it's out of your budget up front. (although they often pop up on Craigslist, like new and much cheaper!). It really does not take up that much room, side to side...although you'll need a good 6 feet top to bottom.

I think BowFlex is another machine that is "lifting weights" without the actual weights type of machine.

A gym membership..he could lift their weights. Around here teen memberships are reasonably priced.

:iagree:If you have a community center w/workout stuff, look there as well. A teen membership at our community center is only $20 a month. It's less fancy than a commercial fitness center, but it has weights, 7 different machines (treadmill, rowing, elliptical, etc.), racquetball courts, basketball court, and locker room/showers.

Depending on what your budget is, you can get something that has the same concept as a weight set, but without the actual weights to drop through the floor.

Two things come to my mind...Total Gym. We have this. You are pulling/lifting your own weight, and depending on the angle you have the bench at, will cause different "weights". Plus there's literally hundreds of different ways to exercise with it. They do payment plans, if it's out of your budget up front. (although they often pop up on Craigslist, like new and much cheaper!). It really does not take up that much room, side to side...although you'll need a good 6 feet top to bottom.

We love our Total Gym. My ds uses it too.

Thanks for all the responses. The gym membership would have been too much money. Dh relented and said we could get him dumbells, and we also got gloves, push up stands, and handgrips. I've just added a jumprope to the order as well.

I wish I could get him a musical instrument, but he shows no interest. I've tried to interest him in the cajon for years, but always been unsuccessful. Maybe next year.