Menu

LCCers, why did you not tell me?!

SorrelZG

My 2nd ed. copy is all but carried around on my person. It's almost an appendage. I've been contemplating for about a year whether I would gain anything from also buying the 1st ed. I've read and reread threads over that time. Finally, yesterday, I ordered. Now I am embittered against you all for not making me do so sooner. :glare:

Kidding! But really ..

I was afraid I'd open this thread to find that Drew had done a 3rd edition that I would need.
:drool5:

I own the second edition and have read it many, many times. I borrowed the first edition and read it several years after we had 'converted' to LCC. I liked the second edition much better.

That said, I would totally buy a 3rd edition.

Do you like the 1st edition best as well or do you prefer the 2nd?

I really don't know, but the math section in the first includes a lot of very non-traditional math activities, like using Euclid's Elements, and in the second, he goes mainstream/practical (=test prep). I don't honestly remember much else because I never had them side by side.

I only have the first edition; I am currently choosing to not get the second--if it ain't broke...

My husband asks, "Do you like the first edition?" "Yes. " "Then why do you need the second edition?"

I have the second ed. on my PBS wish list; if I can wait that long, I will count myself as patient, and be rewarded. :)

I, of course, completely understand loving the 2nd ed. The 1st ed. does lack the chapter by chapter schedule that was included with the 2nd ed. I do love how it is scheduled though and the recommendations. I've mostly only been looking at the primary years so far. The feel is just a little different. Similar to what Stripe said about the math. For instance, 2nd edition lists some Evan Moor books for the last term of K as a geography suggestion and The Geography Book is recommended for 1st. Holling C. Holling books are suggested for extra reading if interested. The 1st ed. lists geography skills to be learned in each grade and schedules the Holling C. Holling books for reading while giving the Evan Moor books as a suggestion if you want a formal curriculum (described as unnecessary). In this example there isn't really a difference in recommendations like there seems to be with math but it kind of shows a similar shift I think.

I like the way it breaks the subjects down into primary, grammar and secondary school and in a small table provides an overview of the components or goals and materials for each subject at the head of each relevant chapter. That's a small detail but a convenient reference point. I do like the original breakdown of subjects with the multi-strand history, the included recitation recommendations, the daily music scheduled (tiny detail), and the slightly advanced Latin schedule (Prima Latina scheduled for K and 1st rather than suggested for 2nd).

So, small details and keeping in mind I've been focused on primary school grades. I think I would still recommend the 2nd ed. to most people. I think it would seem less intimidating and mainstream.

But I <3 my new 1st ed. :001_wub:

Is there a way to get a first edition now?

I bought one from Amazon not really concerned with which edition it was, and it's the second. It says 2008, Non Nobis Press, and the ISBN matches Amazon's second edition listing. But I actually bought the first edition, as it shows the "You bought this" message on the first edition's page. That says Memoria Press and the ISBN is different (no date listed). So, if I try to buy another, who knows which I'll get!

I do like the original breakdown of subjects with the multi-strand history, the included recitation recommendations, the daily music scheduled (tiny detail)

I'm intrigued. What's multi-strand history? Are recitation recommendations different from memory work?

(I've never seen LCC.)

Welcome to the club! You can take away my copies of LCC when you can pry them form my cold, dead fingers.

Yes, this. Both the 1st and 2nd editions are on my bedside table and I refer to them religiously.

2nd edition is more mainstream, but I love :001_wub: the first edition--especially the two-strand history and the science recs.

I'm intrigued. What's multi-strand history?

You can run a strand of US History at the same time as your World History. I started to do this about a year ago.

There's not much I can add to this discussion, but I DO like the "less is more" philosophy that he talks about in LCC. If I want to teach something, I don't want to buy an entire curriculum for it. I agree with him completely on the multum non multa. It also seems like he advocates unschooling science or working thru nature studies, etc until high school. In TWTM, she also says to be careful not to take a systematic approach to teaching science in the early grades. I like having options with science, not being tied down to a curriculum and letting them explore topics.

The only thing I don't like about LCC...I wish he had written more about combining children.

I really don't know, but the math section in the first includes a lot of very non-traditional math activities, like using Euclid's Elements, and in the second, he goes mainstream/practical (=test prep). I don't honestly remember much else because I never had them side by side.

I should buy the first edition. It sounds very different from the second (I only have the second edition).

I'm intrigued. What's multi-strand history? Are recitation recommendations different from memory work?

(I've never seen LCC.)

History is broken into Classical studies, Christian studies, and Modern studies with a lot of literature. It must have been before Memoria Press finished their Famous Men series because only Greek and Rome are used. 2nd ed. does an overview of history with CHOW in K and 1st and then 6 years of chronological history and the literature is taken out and joined to the subject "Literature" (not in 1st ed. .. there is "English studies" instead).

Recitation is memory work. I don't recall any mention of it in the 2nd ed. I really appreciate the recommendations in the 1st.

I have to say... I love them both too!

I like to combine the ideas for a specific grade from both books!:D

Yes! I would just feel like a freak recommending both to the average person. No one understands like you guys. :lol: I think a 3rd edition is needed which would include the best of both .. even just sticking them together in one volume for convenience sake :tongue_smilie: and including some newer recommendations (without removing old ones).

I've been sitting around with both editions and the AO booklists, reworking my schedule and penciling up the rest of this year and the next. I'm ready to get back to school with full vigor in January (we have dropped to an almost unacceptably - to DH - bare minimum in the past month).

Yes! I would just feel like a freak recommending both to the average person. No one understands like you guys. :lol: I think a 3rd edition is needed which would include the best of both .. even just sticking them together in one volume for convenience sake :tongue_smilie: and including some newer recommendations (without removing old ones).

I'm surprised LCC isn't more popular.

I agree that he needs a third edition.

You're not paying attention to us, Tracy. You have to get both. Beg, borrow, steal.

Yes! I would just feel like a freak recommending both to the average person. No one understands like you guys.

:lol: And it looks like I will buy both. I'm thinking that I'll get the hardcopy of the second edition, but buy the first edition on pdf to put on my Kindle.(which I just got last week and love more than I ever could have imagined)

Perfect timing! I'm starting my curric lists for next year. This looks like a good way to get started.

:lol: And it looks like I will buy both. I'm thinking that I'll get the hardcopy of the second edition, but buy the first edition on pdf to put on my Kindle.(which I just got last week and love more than I ever could have imagined)

Perfect timing! I'm starting my curric lists for next year. This looks like a good way to get started.

:hurray:

I bought the 1st ed. as a PDF for my kindle so this one really is an appendage. :lol: