Menu

What level would you consider this to be?

Embassy

Here is a paragraph my son wrote today. He took about 10 minutes to write this.

My favret farm anamul is the Dog. It eat's meat and likes to chew on bones. You can have it as a pet you dont have to have it on a farm. What is your favret farm anamul. (He lists names of family members and writes down their favorite farm animal. Of the current replies he wrote down "horse, horse, cats") horas horas cats. I cant whait to Go to a real farm.

What approximate grade level would this be? Would your answer change if spelling and mechanics were correct? Thanks!

Edited by Wehomeschool

I'd say late 2nd/early 3rd grade. I'd never get that much writing out of one of my kids in first grade, and the spelling would be much worse if they weren't asking for spelling help. I'm only seeing 4 misspelled words, and all of them (except maybe horse) are spelled phonetically, so it's obvious your ds has a good grip on phonics. My dd was still making lots of punctuation and capitalization mistakes in 3rd grade.

I'd say late 2nd/early 3rd grade. I'd never get that much writing out of one of my kids in first grade, and the spelling would be much worse if they weren't asking for spelling help. I'm only seeing 4 misspelled words, and all of them (except maybe horse) are spelled phonetically, so it's obvious your ds has a good grip on phonics. My dd was still making lots of punctuation and capitalization mistakes in 3rd grade.

:iagree: 2nd would be what I would have thought.

As a former first/second grade teacher I would say average second grade. You would have first graders writing like this but there is a very wide range in first grade because of their developmental stage. I would not consider a second grader writing like this behind at all. However, I would like to say, with regard to early writing, that, like walking and reading, it is hard to be "behind" at an early age. My oldest ds who excels in reading and math (several grades ahead) was writing like this throughout third grade and into fourth. Now, in sixth grade, his writing is at least grade level if not advanced. We just kept writing steadily, worked on spelling and style and he improved.

I'm only seeing 4 misspelled words, and all of them (except maybe horse) are spelled phonetically, so it's obvious your ds has a good grip on phonics.

This is an interesting and helpful observation. He has come far in the past year. I had suspected dyslexia. I spent this calendar year intensively working on spelling and phonics. It may not show from the writing sample, but he has improved much in the past year.

Here is a sample from about a year and a half ago and maybe you will see what I mean:

atll2 and conerefr111 wher getin rede to go travl vare fhar in the wood's then the trofkl ilend to fhind the tresr!?! thay whar gowen

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeh no!!!! a wall shad atll2. we hafto pa #30000000.90$

aaaaaaah no!!!! wi its dangres ok well you kan go] :ok aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeenononononononoh

latr

yay we did it yay

I don't think I can translate all of it :tongue_smilie: This sample was typed. The first sample was handwritten.

FWIW, I wouldn't be able to get that much writing out of my 2nd grader in one sitting. I think he could physically write more, but he doesn't have enough mental stamina.

I was thinking that output and sentence structure were more along the lines of 2nd-3rd grade, but spelling and mechanics were more like first grade.

A related question...how do we figure out if a child is on track with writing?:tongue_smilie:

I think your followup post answers that question.

Here is a sample from about a year and a half ago and maybe you will see what I mean

He has made huge strides in the past year and a half. Keep up the good work.

Writing is a complex skill. Keep in mind that spelling. handwriting, etc. are only one aspect of writing. You can also work on other parts of composing orally. From what I could decipher from that sample from a year and a half ago, it sounds like he had a grand adventure in his head.

I think your followup post answers that question.

He has made huge strides in the past year and a half. Keep up the good work.

Writing is a complex skill. Keep in mind that spelling. handwriting, etc. are only one aspect of writing. You can also work on other parts of composing orally. From what I could decipher from that sample from a year and a half ago, it sounds like he had a grand adventure in his head.

Thanks for the input. I do believe he has come a long way. He still has some weird stuff going on related to phonics and spelling (i.e. "horas") and we are continuing phonics and spelling on an intensive level. We are doing the same with handwriting now too, but that is a whole different issue:tongue_smilie: He has stamina and will write and write on his own time, but how he forms his letters is still a work in progress. We did have a major victory this year with his grip. He now uses a correct grip. :hurray: You did peg him though. He always has grand adventures in his head.

Another vote for 2nd, especially if it is a boy!

Yes, the sample is from a boy.