Menu

Have you been asked if homeschooling is legal?

Yes. My cousin was horrified to learn that people legally homeschool. She had assumed that homeschoolers were breaking the law.

Wow! I have never been asked that. I guess it shouldn't be too shocking that people think that. Your cousin actually thought you were breaking the law huh? There's a character boost for ya! :glare:

Edited by QuirkyKapers

I used to get asked that a LOT when I moved here 11 years ago. There were virtually no other home educators around, and almost every time I was out with the kids during school hours, I'd be asked if it was legal when I'd say that we home educated. Librarians, shop keepers, everyone. It was a bit annoying, but not that big a deal.

Yes, several times. The people who ask sometimes ask if I'm a teacher, and if not, how am I qualified to homeschool. It gets old.

My neighbor 2 doors down (and I consider a friend) told me that she thinks Hsing should be illegal, plain and simple. She harped on HSing every time we got together for a while, so I have avoided hanging out in the last 6 months. I particularly don't appreciate it being said in front of my kids.

I realize the situation with HSing is different in Germany (where it is illegal I believe), and it is partially a cultural thing perhaps (she moved here from Germany years ago). However, she's lived in the US for over a decade. She recently went back to school to get her education degree, so perhaps that plays into it.

Edited by Momof3littles

:D Yes, I have been asked that once. But my neighbor wasn't horrified that it was legal--my impression was that she'd never heard of anyone doing it. (?!?!) And she did ask hesitantly;). I think that for some people, it's just so far outside their entire paradigm that "is that legal" really is the first thing that comes to mind. My neighbor was actually intrigued by the idea. It didn't bother me that she asked--my peeves are the "real world" and "learn to deal with bullies" questions.

I used to get asked that a LOT when I moved here 11 years ago. There were virtually no other home educators around, and almost every time I was out with the kids during school hours, I'd be asked if it was legal when I'd say that we home educated. Librarians, shop keepers, everyone. It was a bit annoying, but not that big a deal.

My husbands side is British and gives me the most hassle about it but have never outright asked. They had never heard of it either.

I find the question as funny as walking up to someone and asking them if they are a burgler. I mean if it was illegal do you honestly think I would be parading around Walmart with my kids in the middle of the day?!:lol:

Wow! I have never been asked that. I guess it shouldn't be too shocking that people think that. Your cousin actually that you were breaking the law huh? There's a character boost for ya! :glare:

To be fair to her, we hadn't seen each other in over 10 years. She didn't know I homeschooled until that day, at the reunion! After getting over her shock she found her manners and added the typical, "But I'm sure you do a great job." LOL

To be fair, my cousin is an intelligent and educated woman but she had never been around families/kids much at all. I just don't think she'd ever given homeschooling any real consideration.

It's been about seven years since we reconnected that day and she no longer judges what I'm doing, partly because she is a mother now and has had to do her own research regarding the education of children!

Ten years ago, yes. It was in a state with minimal homeschooling laws. I think because of the lack of laws, it was not well known, mostly fundamentalists were the homeschoolers, and people just didn't know what to think (and to hear that there was no accountability made it seem "illegal" even if it wasn't).

I've never been asked that in this state though.

Growing up as a home schooled kid (80s / early 90s), it was a fairly common question -- but varied in frequency depending on region. (I.e., I hardly ever remember anyone saying "Is that leeeeeegal?!" in Texas -- but in Virginia it seemed to happen all he time, lol.)

I don't hear it much any more. I live in Georgia and home schooling is quite common. But I do occasionally get asked questions about how the laws work and what constitutes legal home schooling.

I am from a country where homeschooling is not legal, and when I go back home in the summer, I am always questioned. I don't mind the questions, though - people have no way of knowing. I did not know anything about homeschooling either before I started researching.

Here in the US, people I meed know it is legal, but they will ask about regulations. Again, does not bother me.

Yes, I was asked that many times when we started. Dh was told by someone at his work "you can't do that". Er, yes you can.... SIL quizzed me to the point where I could almost see her blood boil, "who checks up on you?" Er, no one....(we have no reporting/record keeping or testing here)

Homeschooling is not well known about here, especially outside of Christian circles but that is changing rapidly. A lot people now say "ooooh, that's getting really popular", and a teacher I chatted to at dd ballet class said, "I'm not surprised, the primary curriculum is terrible". She then went on to say how she has to tutor her dd afterschool and asked me for curriculum recommendations.:D

Yes, I've had a nurse ask me if it was legal. But she was from a different country, and had never heard of homeschooling before, and was just genuinely surprised by the idea of homeschooling in the first place. I had to explain what I meant to her by 'we homeschool', when I answered where the boys went to school. She literally did not understand what I meant. She was very sweet about it. It was actually a very nice experience, as she just LOVED my boys.

I live in in Mexico, just across the U.S. border, so I get more of a "people actually do that?" look. Followed by, "Why don't you just have them use someone's address and go to school in el otro lado?:001_huh:

So I guess they are shocked that I am not breaking the law. I don't know if thats a compliment or if I should be offended. :D

In their defense, home schooling is basically unheard of here. Their surprise is mostly because of the fact that it is new to them. Most people are very curious and ask me thoughtful questions about the how's. why's, and yes, the lagality. It isn't usually in a snarky way, though. I have had at least one person make a bad joke about me being stuck with my kids all day and how they cringe when vacation comes around. This same woman said something along the lines of, "can't wait for camp to start so that I can get back to important things." :001_huh:

Danielle

Edited by USDGAL

Around here the local public schools are so bad that while people may not believe that homeschooling is the best choice you could make they at least understand why a parent would consider it, even if it really was illegal.

I have a young relative who graduated from our local public school and was on the honor roll several times. He literally can't fill out a job application without assistance because he can't read the words, he doesn't have a driver's permit because he can't pass the written test (again because he can't read and understand the questions). He is unemployable, because despite getting assistance to help him fill out applications he is unable to pass basic math and language aptitude tests given by the temp agencies he has tried to get in with. He isn't the only kid from that school in this position. He is lucky that he got in at the local McDonald's part time.

And believe it or not, the high school guidance counselor at this 'school' tried to get him to apply for college.

I haven't been asked outright if it's legal, but I have been asked the "Do they give you the books?" question, and, just last week, "Do you have a degree?"

The last was an ed major I just met at Church, and the conversation went something like this, "Do you have a degree?" Pause "Well, I know you don't have to have one."

So, I think she'd heard of homeschooling, but had never actually met anyone doing it.

Edited by Maus
to complete my incomplete thought

I get asked that question, frequently, but like a previous poster said, it's usually because the person has never heard of anyone doing it (I live in New England - MOST homes in our town are dual-income, so it's a reasonable question).

The annoying thing is how many people believe that home schooling = NO schooling (they think I just want to keep the kids at home). :glare:

My neighbor who lives in Singapore and only comes here for 3 months of each year asked me if it was legal. Once I explained about the regulations we need to follow she was still amazed that I didn't have to have a teaching degree.

I guess she didn't think too poorly of my abilities though as she has asked me repeatedly to teach her son how to speak English.

I was the one that asked that very question! I met a lady in a store one day and she had her 5 daughters with her. I asked if they had the day off of school and she told me they homeschooled. I asked if it was legal and she smiled and told me yes. I asked her a few more questions, thanked her, went home and started researching. Two months later I pulled my son out of school to homeschool. That was 10 years ago. :)

Im just wondering if people really get asked this question? It seems to be on a lot of "questions homeschoolers hate" lists and I get alot of flack from friends and family but no one has ever asked me if I am participating in an illegal activity LOL

No, but on a forum of a different topic, people were recently surprised to hear that homeschoolers don't receive schoolbooks and specific lesson plans from the local school disctrict!

I find the question as funny as walking up to someone and asking them if they are a burgler. I mean if it was illegal do you honestly think I would be parading around Walmart with my kids in the middle of the day?!:lol:

This is exactly what I used to think whenever I got the question. "If it's illegal, why would I have just freely admitted to you, a complete stranger, that I do it?"

Yes, from family members to total strangers in other countries. I've been quizzed on the legal details, the US education system, homeschooling, and more. I've had lots of folks be supportive and a few be highly critical. (I think I have even changed a few minds from homeschooling is an excuse to be X to it can be rigorously academic. Where X is your standard perceived objection.)