Menu

Anyone else use a Loop Schedule?

Our new semester starts in January and there's nothing like waiting until the last minute to get a handle on things. :glare:

I'm combining my 4 kids and I'm thinking about trying a Loop Schedule together.

Daily, everyone will do Math and our Read-Alouds.

Throughout the week, we would loop through the following subjects:

Language Arts

Latin

Literature

World History

Religion

Logic (I should probably just include this with math)

German

US History

Art History

Science

I know this looks a little over the top. :001_unsure: The reason why I don't have LA in the daily list is because my two oldest kids have flown through several LA programs this year. :o

I'm thinking a loop schedule might allow us more time to spend on each subject, instead of just doing 10-15 minutes of something and moving onto something else. It might give us more time for science and art.

Does anyone else do this? Does it work for you? How many subjects do you get through in one day?

We do a loop schedule here. Our mandatory, everyday subjects are Math and Spelling. Everything else is on a loop. We don't always follow the same sequence in order, but the rule is that all subjects have to be completed before the next loop starts.

We are really enjoying our school days more since I started this system. I think I've previously posted that it has freed us up to be able to spend lots of time on an art project or science experiment if we want without feeling like we need to keep on pushing on the schedule. Several of my kids tend to almost complete their whole loop every day, others (my slow-pokes) don't make it around but I'm doing my best to just let it flow without worrying as long as progress is being made. That's probably the hardest part of the loop schedule of me: I'm a definite box-checker-type of Mom and I like having everything organized. Not having everyday look exactly the same as far as schedule has been hard for me but I can see that my kids are enjoying school more and I see that that "love of learning" light has come back into their eyes - not always, but a lot of the time.

We are really enjoying our school days more since I started this system. I think I've previously posted that it has freed us up to be able to spend lots of time on an art project or science experiment if we want without feeling like we need to keep on pushing on the schedule.

Some of our science experiments are taking out a big chunk of our day...and art, too. It seems like everytime we get the art stuff out, I can count on 3 hours of "missing time". :tongue_smilie:

I'm going to try the Loop Schedule!

Are foreign languages a skill that needs to be daily? We loop, but only the stuff that I know doesn't matter if we only get to it once or twice a week. We do all the essentials first, and then go through the loop subjects until attention spans run out, so sometimes it can be a whole week before we get back to a subject.

Are foreign languages a skill that needs to be daily? We loop, but only the stuff that I know doesn't matter if we only get to it once or twice a week. We do all the essentials first, and then go through the loop subjects until attention spans run out, so sometimes it can be a whole week before we get back to a subject.

I think part of our problem was that we have only been doing language arts/math for so long (and getting to other stuff if we have time) that I really need to make us more well-rounded. Two of my kids are very advanced in writing/grammar, but they didn't know who George Washington was until recently. :D Also, I'm trying to make school enjoyable for them. They really, really like languages :tongue_smilie: (we have a serious problem - there are foreign language dictionaries all over our kitchen counter).

How exactly does a loop schedule work? Do you do the mandotory subjects and then just do 1 or 2 other subjects for a longer period of time each day?

I'll give you an example from one of my kids. My 10yods is doing HOD's Preparing. This is his loop.

Subjects that he does everyday:

Math (one lesson from CLE)

Dictation (One dictation from HOD's list).

Then he hits his loop:

HOD: Reading About History

HOD: History Project

HOD: Independent History Study

HOD: Storytime

HOD: Misc Assignment: Vocab/Research/Timeline or Geography

Grammar: One Lesson from CLE

Reading: One Lesson from CLE

Reading Book: This is just a random book I assign to be read for 20 min.

Writing: WWE 4 One Lesson

Latin: One Assignment (He's doing Latina Christiana I)

HOD: Science Assignment

I have his set up in his HOD notebook which has boxes for all of the HOD assignments and then I use sticky notes to cover up the portions that we don't use and to list the things we do instead. When he does an item, he puts a sticker on it (the pages are in page protectors). When all the stickers are done on a page he flips the page and begins the next one.

I don't require that the loop items are done in a specific order because I have a lot of littles to work with and sometimes he needs to jump to independent work instead of just the next thing on his list. But the rule is that the whole page of assignments must be done before jumping to the next page.

If you aren't familiar with HOD this might be a bit confusing but the same system would work with any curriculum. We just finish one list of assignments before beginning the next but the list isn't tied to a particular day. We just pick up where we left off except for the mandatory subject. I'm guessing that on an average day the kid outlined above probably gets at least 3/4 of his list done each day. HOD Preparing is a 4-day/week curriculum so I'm not too worried about lag time since we actually work 5 days a week. There are days where one item takes longer or I need to work with him longer on a writing assignment or art or something and then we wouldn't get as many items checked off that day but we would just pick up where we left off.

HTH, I'll try to check back later if anyone has any questions.

What I would like to try is very similar to JanOh's example.

I have more of a one-room schoolhouse style of teaching, so all 5 of us would go through the loop together (sort of).

Here are my plans for the 10 yro/9 yro:

we would start with Math every morning

we do our read-alouds at night (before bed, so we'll just continue)

Throughout the week, we would cycle through the following subjects. Also, it sounds like each subject might happen twice or three times a week. I'm not sure...

Language Arts - MCT LA (the kids are on different levels for this, tho), Classical Comp, Webster's Speller, maybe Wordsmith Apprentice later

Latin - Latin Prep 1

Literature - using MCT's Lit series for a while

World History - logic stage Ancients

Religion - read through Loyola's Kids Book of Heroes and Journey thru the Bible

Logic - Red Herring Mysteries 1

German - they've been doing this for about a year -Rosetta Stone

US History - we're basically just reading a lot about it, doing some reports, projects

Art History - Collins Big Book of Art - doing some timelines, projects, etc

Science - logic stage physics, experiments, my son wants to build a solar car :tongue_smilie:

If this sounds awful, feel free to tell me. I have no idea how many subject blocks we would do in a day - three, maybe?

Edited to say: OK, I have to do 4 subject blocks per day to go thru each subject twice a week.

Edited by starrbuck12

Our schedule has always defaulted to a loop because I try to do too much in one day. I have never intentionally scheduled a loop but I'm planning to try it in January. For us the every day subjects will be Bible, Memory (which thanks to the iPad and Andrew Cambell's book will now be an actual organized daily assignment), and math. We also generally do a brainpop video a day and a few other ipad activities. The rotation of other subjects will be:

Spelling lists from the local just for fun spelling bee

FLL

WWE

MCT Island

Sotw 2

Apologia Anatomy & Physiology

LFC a

Song School Greek

Fun science videos from the web

Mindbenders

Geography songs and country unit studies

Handwriting/cursive

I'm also checking in to adding a few other subjects on the iPad like piano and art.

Eta: we will also have non-fiction assigned reading several days per week. I don't really have o assign literature or fiction because dd would spend the whole day reading if I let her.

Spelling lists from the local just for fun spelling bee

I have to tell you...:D...after years of using spelling workbooks, THIS is what got my son over the spelling hill. He is a phenomenal speller this year and it's all because of those spelling bee lists.

I've thought about doing a loop so many times, but wonder if I'll be able to let go of things like making sure writing gets done 4 days a week, or similar things. We just get so burned out and never seem to make it to the fun stuff. Mayne the loop is really just what we need. I guess I need to figure out what I want in the loop and what I don't. Right now I'm thinking the following, what do you all think?

Daily: spelling, math, penmanship, and phonics(for my younger two, silent reading for my older son)

Loop:

Writing

Grammar

Science

History

Art

Music

Foreign language

I have to tell you...:D...after years of using spelling workbooks, THIS is what got my son over the spelling hill. He is a phenomenal speller this year and it's all because of those spelling bee lists.

It's good to hear this plan worked for someone else. I tried multiple spelling programs and because dd is a naturally good speller it seemed like they were a waste of time. We only tried this plan for a month before we moved in to our holiday schedule which is a lot lighter but it seems to be working well. At least I feel like she's learning something since she can't spell all the words right before we start the lesson! I plan to start back in January.

I've thought about doing a loop so many times, but wonder if I'll be able to let go of things like making sure writing gets done 4 days a week, or similar things. We just get so burned out and never seem to make it to the fun stuff. Mayne the loop is really just what we need. I guess I need to figure out what I want in the loop and what I don't. Right now I'm thinking the following, what do you all think?

Daily: spelling, math, penmanship, and phonics(for my younger two, silent reading for my older son)

Loop:

Writing

Grammar

Science

History

Art

Music

Foreign language

Looks good - one mistake I made a few years ago with my loop was trying to put too many things on the daily list. If there are too many things on the daily list, your loop ends up being the same as a daily schedule because the other things all get put to the end of the day when everyone is tired.

Looks good - one mistake I made a few years ago with my loop was trying to put too many things on the daily list. If there are too many things on the daily list, your loop ends up being the same as a daily schedule because the other things all get put to the end of the day when everyone is tired.

Thanks JanOH,

That's exactly what I was thinking. When I thought about a loop in the past I just felt there were too many things that needed to be on the "daily list" so things really wouldn't have changed. I'd like to keep our "Daily list" to under 1.5 hours. I might even take penmanship off the daily list since only my youngest really needs it so I could easily add that in for him while I'm working with the olders on something he doesn't do in the loop.

Let me see if I understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong. A loop schedule is basically where all subjects, except those you want done everyday, (ex. math and Bible) are put in a list and done in that order for however long it takes to complete that assignment. Once you finishe the first subject you move to the next and when the day is over if you haven't completed everything, the next day you start where you left off. Is this the basic idea? So instead of a daily schedule where maybe you have science every Monday and Friday, science would go on the list and you do it every time it comes up in order. Do you usually put a time limit on your subjects or just however long it takes to complete? What do you do with things like WWE and WWS that are set up to be done 4 times a week?

Edited by thowell
more questions!

Let me see if I understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong. A loop schedule is basically where all subjects, except those you want done everyday, (ex. math and Bible) are put in a list and done in that order for however long it takes to complete that assignment. Once you finishe the first subject you move to the next and when the day is over if you haven't completed everything, the next day you start where you left off. Is this the basic idea? So instead of a daily schedule where maybe you have science every Monday and Friday, science would go on the list and you do it every time it comes up in order. Do you usually put a time limit on your subjects or just however long it takes to complete? What do you do with things like WWE and WWS that are set up to be done 4 times a week?

Yes, you have the idea. I don't put a time limit on any subjects. That's the beauty of it for my family. When a science project/art project or even just Latin or whatever takes longer than it should, it doesn't matter because it doesn't make our day longer. I do usually set a time limit for the whole day, not individual subjects.

With WWE/WWS or other things that are set up for four times a week, I just schedule it into the loop and we do the next assignment. Sometimes I will put a note of "no assignment" on the WWE sticky but if I feel like we've been a bit lacking in that area because of the loop, I just skip the no assignment day and go ahead to the next week's assignment without skipping that fifth day. That's really what we've been doing most of the time because we generally only get four assignments of writing done during an average loop week anyway.

You could put WWE/WWS in your "concrete" schedule 4x per week - your "concrete" schedule doesn't have to be the same every day. And your loop can have "repeaters" - we have science in our loop twice, but logic puzzles only once, b/c I want to hit science twice as often as logic.

I tried out a loop schedule this school year and it lasted 2 days before I knew it wasn't going to work for us. It took me so long to set it up too :glare: I use a lot of teacher intensive materials and work with each child individually for some subjects so I had to loop each child differently. We barely made a dent in our loop the two days we did it so I knew it wasn't going to work for us. I love spending lots of time on one subject and we have done that for years. We do big chunks of time for things like science and history and loop the content there.

Edited by Wehomeschool

I've thought about doing a loop so many times, but wonder if I'll be able to let go of things like making sure writing gets done 4 days a week, or similar things.

:iagree:

We sorta do a loop schedule, simply because we run out of time LOL. But we start every day except Friday with Math, Latin and LA...the rest seem to run on a loop, with Fridays designated as a day to really dig into History and Science.

I don't know if I'd be able to let go of daily Writing and Latin. :001_huh: I suppose those could be part of our daily must-dos.....Hmmm, this sounds pretty much like what we do LOL.

Edited by Halcyon

I tried out a loop schedule this school year and it lasted 2 days before I knew it wasn't going to work for us. It took me so long to set it up too :glare: I use a lot of teacher intensive materials and work with each child individually for some subjects so I had to loop each child differently. We barely made a dent in our loop the two days we did it so I knew it wasn't going to work for us. I love spending lots of time on one subject and we have done that for years. We do big chunks of time for things like science and history and loop the content there.

Uh oh. If I crash and burn with our new schedule, I'll post back. :D

I have combined my kids as much as possible, because I am so tired of everyone doing their own thing. I might get to the point in the next couple of years where I need to do something like TOG. It really is hard to juggle 4 different grade levels.

For simple exposure purposes I do rotations in 4 week sets. One day a week, (Thursdays)- on a calendar, I set 16 different explorations for a minimum of 1 hour.

The next month, a new set of rotation subjects; again, just for explorations.

If I see her dig and click on a topic, we stop, park it and take it as far as she wants. It's really been interesting to see what she likes and will go back to out of choice or curiosity.

Nothing complicated, just a collection of materials, resources, books and such, sit and read/play whatever though them. No mastery intended, just exposure to the topic.

If she shows interest in something, I tighten it up just a little and start structuring more, maybe lesson plans, videos or some visiting somewhere that shows the topic in action.

If it bores her to death, it's dropped completely.

This is a mini-looping just for adventures sake. But it is planned and on purpose.

For simple exposure purposes I do rotations in 4 week sets. One day a week, (Thursdays)- on a calendar, I set 16 different explorations for a minimum of 1 hour.

If I see her dig and click on a topic, we stop, park it and take it as far as she wants. It's really been interesting to see what she likes and will go back to out of choice or curiosity.

Nothing complicated, just a collection of materials, resources, books and such, sit and read/play whatever though them. No mastery intended, just exposure to the topic.

So you just select 16 random topics to be explored each month for 1 hr. minimum? This is a really cool idea if I'm understanding correctly. Do your DC get to help choose topics or how do you select them? I think I need to find some time to fit this in.:lol:

For those successfully using the loop - how do make sure you get through a year's worth of curriculum for each subject? I definetly need a better way to organize our days to keep me from burning out.

I've considered going to year round school but shorter days so we can get through everything and I've considered 4 day schedule to give me a day to plan/prep/rest.

But maybe a loop could work for us. I am a box checker so I'm afriad I have created little box checking monsters at my house. Those who have changed, how have your kiddos adjusted?

So you just select 16 random topics to be explored each month for 1 hr. minimum? This is a really cool idea if I'm understanding correctly. Do your DC get to help choose topics or how do you select them? I think I need to find some time to fit this in.:lol:

I pick them, they branch off the content areas I have written up for her.

You can see the complete list on the left hand menu- the rotations are set to compliment those areas but are more specific/drilled-down from those.

http://mustangv.blogspot.com/

For those successfully using the loop - how do make sure you get through a year's worth of curriculum for each subject? I definetly need a better way to organize our days to keep me from burning out.

I've considered going to year round school but shorter days so we can get through everything and I've considered 4 day schedule to give me a day to plan/prep/rest.

But maybe a loop could work for us. I am a box checker so I'm afriad I have created little box checking monsters at my house. Those who have changed, how have your kiddos adjusted?

Well, I'm not really worried about it most of the time :) In general, I worry most about getting through the math curriculum in a year and that's why I have it as a mandatory, every day subject. The rest of the items, we just do the next thing. We don't school year round, but we do take a shorter break than some do in the summer. We usually end about the middle of June and start back the first week of August. For us, I really don't worry if someone has to finish up the end of the book in August. We just pick up where we left off.

If she shows interest in something, I tighten it up just a little and start structuring more, maybe lesson plans, videos or some visiting somewhere that shows the topic in action.

If it bores her to death, it's dropped completely.

This is a mini-looping just for adventures sake. But it is planned and on purpose.

This is a really neat idea. Sometimes I come up with ideas I want my girls exposed to, but they don't seem worth a whole unit study or anything. I could try your plan. Dd would also be more cooperative about ideas she didn't care for initially, if she knew it was only a one hour commitment. :tongue_smilie:

We do a loop schedule here. Our mandatory, everyday subjects are Math and Spelling. Everything else is on a loop. We don't always follow the same sequence in order, but the rule is that all subjects have to be completed before the next loop starts.

We are really enjoying our school days more since I started this system. I think I've previously posted that it has freed us up to be able to spend lots of time on an art project or science experiment if we want without feeling like we need to keep on pushing on the schedule. Several of my kids tend to almost complete their whole loop every day, others (my slow-pokes) don't make it around but I'm doing my best to just let it flow without worrying as long as progress is being made. That's probably the hardest part of the loop schedule of me: I'm a definite box-checker-type of Mom and I like having everything organized. Not having everyday look exactly the same as far as schedule has been hard for me but I can see that my kids are enjoying school more and I see that that "love of learning" light has come back into their eyes - not always, but a lot of the time.

I think in a different post that you answered my question. But do you use something like Homeschool Tracker or Skedtrack? i could see these programs helping too. If the activity isn't completed it moves onto the next day. Hmm..

WOW...I really like this idea. We have a lot of stuff that we never get to. I think this could really work for us. Off to look up more posts on loop schedules....

:iagree:

Yes more loop ideas are a must.

I'm working on categories for the exposures in Thursday's free-range exploring in science for January/Feb/March/April.

Here are the natural sciences exposures I'm drafting on now.

These are just the headings; I'll tie in or prepare four or so resources into each...(book/lecture/video/prominent figure <or something>) to each sub-topic.

This all falls under "Natural Sciences" exposures.

Natural Sciences

environmental science

astrobiology

astrochemistry

Astronomy

astrophysics

Atmospheric science

biochemistry

Biology

biophysics

chemical physics

Chemistry

complex system*informatics

Earth science

geochemistry

geophysics

marine biology

marine ecosystem

Materials science

nanoscience

Oceanography

physical oceanography

Physics

Looks pretty weird for an 8 year old huh? Ya, that's what I think also, but they sometimes actually bait a hook of curiosity....

Sometimes it's like when you feed an infant peas for the first time. You get the squishy hate face and gagging and screaming....sometimes it's like peaches and it's sweet and yummy.

I give her to start a definition of it from an encyclopedia, I read it to her. Then, all I ask of her is to stay on the topic and path, just go exploring it; afterwards I ask a few questions about if she learned anything and that's the end of that...unless she asks for more.

I threw in a link to a TED talk as an example of resource for informatics. I enjoyed it. I don't know how much she'll get out of it. I think it gets really good about the 14:00 minute mark. :)

Edited by one*mom

we have been doing a loop schedule. They have a few subjects they have to do each day like Math. Then a list of subjects to loop through. We started is so they coukd work on a subject as long as they want. So, they might do Math, Spanish and then a couple of hours of Science. I don't plan anything out for them anymore. We just put what they did in their planner. It works really well for us. The kids think there is less pressure and less work. But, more seems to get done.

we have been doing a loop schedule. They have a few subjects they have to do each day like Math. Then a list of subjects to loop through. We started is so they coukd work on a subject as long as they want. So, they might do Math, Spanish and then a couple of hours of Science. I don't plan anything out for them anymore. We just put what they did in their planner. It works really well for us. The kids think there is less pressure and less work. But, more seems to get done.

That's great! I'm hoping this also helps us spend more time on subjects that they are interested in...art, history, science...

I think in a different post that you answered my question. But do you use something like Homeschool Tracker or Skedtrack? i could see these programs helping too. If the activity isn't completed it moves onto the next day. Hmm..

Skedtrack and the SCM Organizer will bump things to the next scheduled day (so tomorrow, or next Tuesday, whichever). In HST+ (AFAIK) you have to reschedule. There was a thread about HST+ and loops a long while back I think.

Skedtrack and the SCM Organizer will bump things to the next scheduled day (so tomorrow, or next Tuesday, whichever). In HST+ (AFAIK) you have to reschedule. There was a thread about HST+ and loops a long while back I think.

Scholaric also does this. Thinking about using a loop after the 1st of the year. I am hoping Scholaric will work with that since we already use it.

This loop schedule thing

is going to save my life!

There are so many things I

hardly ever get to. I am chasing

after poor DS between getting ready,

at dinner, with subjects I feel guilty

about not doing for a week.

I am going to loop schedule everything

except Math, Latin, and Literature Reading.

I am so out of the loop:lol: Can someone explain what a loop schedule is?

Sorry I haven't been online in a while - it's been an extremely busy week. :)

Here's my example. I've been beating the 3 Rs to death over the last couple of years. My kids are desperate for some history and art. :tongue_smilie: I have several subjects that we just can't get to... I'm going to set up my schedule this way (BTW, I revised my plan a little):

Everyday, we are going to do Math (+Logic) and our Read-Alouds.

Then, we are going to do 3 or 4 of the following subjects in this order:

Language Arts

Latin

Literature

History

Religion

German

Art History

Science

The next day, we start with our Math and Read-Alouds. Then, we'll pick up where we left off in the list. So, if we stopped with History, we'll start again with Religion.

We'll see if it helps. :D

Edited to say: I created my subject list from the logic stage section of TWTM.

I guess I figure that if it REALLY matters that I get to it daily, it isn't part of the loop. It's the extras that get looped.

Your TOTAL school time doesn't change. It just means that you can give each subject a reasonable amount of time instead of rushing from one to the next. Sort of like in middle school - instead of doing 15 minutes of PE, 15 minutes of chorus, 15 minutes of home ec every day, you do 45 minutes of PE one day, then 45 minutes of chorus the next, then 45 minutes of home ec the next. The TOTAL time is the same, it's just that you aren't rushing from one to the next to the next.

Edited by MeganW