Menu

Pre-Algebra in 5th, any reason NOT to?

ThreeBlessings

My dd is in 6th, ds in 4th. They are both on the same level in Math. Right now they are working their way through Lial's Basic College Math. I plan to start Lial's PreAlgebra when they finish BCM. They'll likely finish BCM sometime next school year. Is there any reason not to have ds start the PreAlgebra next school year in 5th grade? I'm not sure what else we'd do because that is where he is progress wise, but I don't want to start him in it if there is a good reason not to.

If he's ready, go ahead! I would take a look at the AoPS books to see if you might be able to stick them in your math sequence somewhere.

We'll be doing prealgebra in 4th, and I plan to use AoPS to push calculus out to 11th.

It's easier to go broader once you get past algebra. With elementary math, there just isn't THAT much to do to stretch it out.

If he's ready, go ahead!

:iagree:

Dd8/3rd is finishing up TT Prealg, working through the verbal problems of HoE, doing Singapore NEM with her online Singapore tutor. She is re-doing the Singapore 2 & 3 word problems with dd7 so that is great review. She loves Rainbow Rock. I just found IXL math which looks fun. But Mama needs to :chillpill:. I think we're covered and don't need another math supplement -- as tempting as it may be. :)

I think it is SharoninAustin whose dd does AOPS Alg along w/ a 3rd grade arithmetic program.

Is there any reason not to have ds start the PreAlgebra next school year in 5th grade? .

Don't see any reason. My DS did prealgebra in 5th grade and algebra 1 (AoPS) in 6th. (My DD would have been ready, unfortunately she was still in ps, so we did it in 6th when we had pulled her out.)

If he's ready, go ahead.

Hi, we're almost at that point, too. I've been reading about this a lot. One thing I read is that kids who start the higher math progression (algebra, etc) later actually score better on the SAT. If anyone has heard this, please post!! I'm actually thinking about doing a year of something like Consumer Math...or unschooling math for a year...I don't know...anything to stall my daughter.

Seems like test prep would take care of that issue? :confused:

Yes, you absolutely could be right. I've been wondering about this since I read it (I thought I read it on the high school board). :confused: Either way, it's got me math-paralyzed. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, you absolutely could be right. I've been wondering about this since I read it (I thought I read it on the high school board). :confused: Either way, it's got me math-paralyzed. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: I'm curious to see what BTDT moms have done. I know there are plenty around here. :D

I have my 5th grader in pre-algebra currently. My btdt friend said the same thing about the SATs and accelerated math in the early years. It's because they hit trig early and forget a lot of it by the time the SAT rolls around. I'm not sure what we're going to do about that. I could always stall him with NEM or Aops. Extra work solidifying algebra is not a bad thing at all.

Beth