Menu

Real Science 4 kids 25% off sale

Quiver0f10

I don't understand-if the full books are available for viewing, what are you paying for?

The right to actually use them with your kids?

Back in the late 60's, my dad taught college. Textbook producers sent him a single copy of their textbooks all the time (they had a special name: educator copies, maybe.) He could keep these books, but he could not teach from them. They were meant for advertising. They all hoped he would select their product as the required text for his classes (you know, so they could then get rich gouging the students ;) ). I believe this custom still exists.

I think Gravitas offering "full-text" previews is a wonderful service! There is always so much controversy in homeschool circles about science curriculum and whether the author is YE, OE, or ID. Here, Dr. Keller is saying, "Educators/Parents, you can see exactly what I've written. Decide for yourself BEFORE you make the financial commitment whether my curriculum will align with your personal philosophy."

I wish more curriculum authors did this, but given many parents desperation to get stuff "free," most authors probably can't afford to take the risk of having their stuff used illegally.

Edited by Maus
spelling error: 'gouging' not 'gauging'

They are calling this a bundle: http://store.gravitaspublications.com/level-1-grades-5-8/middle-school-chemistry-kog-workbook-bundle-level-i.html, but it doesn't seem to act like one in the cart. (But that might be because I already used my code on a different bundle.)

Thanks. I actually emailed Dr. Keller about the Kogs and she added the bundle to their list. She was actually quite helpful to me with everything I needed to order. If the materials are as good as they look, she may have a customer in me for many years. I LOVE good customer service!

Offering the full text is a fabulous marketing tool. It worked on us. Dd8 read 10 chapters of the Chem student text online yesterday and is back at it again this morning. Dd7 read 3 chapters. Atoms, Molecules, Acids, Bases. A whole new world has opened up. We'll be ordering all 3 collections.

Has anyone taken an online class?

Offering the full text is a fabulous marketing tool. It worked on us. Dd8 read 10 chapters of the Chem student text online yesterday and is back at it again this morning. Dd7 read 3 chapters. Atoms, Molecules, Acids, Bases. A whole new world has opened up. We'll be ordering all 3 collections.

I will have to check this free viewing out. We are doing RSO chemistry, but I am thinking of using Real Science 4 Kids for physics.

Back in the late 60's, my dad taught college. Textbook producers sent him a single copy of their textbooks all the time (they had a special name: educator copies, maybe.) He could keep these books, but he could not teach from them. They were meant for advertising. They all hoped he would select their product as the required text for his classes (you know, so they could then get rich gauging the students ;) ). I believe this custom still exists.

I think Gravitas offering "full-text" previews is a wonderful service! There is always so much controversy in homeschool circles about science curriculum and whether the author is YE, OE, or ID. Here, Dr. Keller is saying, "Educators/Parents, you can see exactly what I've written. Decide for yourself BEFORE you make the financial commitment whether my curriculum will align with your personal philosophy."

I wish more curriculum authors did this, but given many parents desperation to get stuff "free," most authors probably can't afford to take the risk of having their stuff used illegally.

AMEN! I hope that people don't abuse this so that they take the samples down. I wish all publishers would do this. I would have saved A LOT of money on curricula!

Back in the late 60's, my dad taught college. Textbook producers sent him a single copy of their textbooks all the time (they had a special name: educator copies, maybe.) He could keep these books, but he could not teach from them. They were meant for advertising. They all hoped he would select their product as the required text for his classes (you know, so they could then get rich gauging the students ;) ). I believe this custom still exists.

AMEN! I hope that people don't abuse this so that they take the samples down. I wish all publishers would do this. I would have saved A LOT of money on curricula!

:iagree:

:iagree: I am so thankful for the free preview! I have been searching for science for my younger kids and having these sample pages was increible helpful!

You can view "samples" of all the books...the samples seem to be the entire book? Correct me if I am wrong, please! :)

That is correct. I am one of those who has to have a hard copy though. LOL

I also agree that it is the right to use them.

I purchased the entire pre-level set for the girls. Got the first part in yesterday and I am very impressed with the content. I have never seen another curriculum quite like this one and we are having a hard time waiting until the new year to start!

Oh I was going to say also, I checked out Amazon and these books do appear to have a great re-sell value. It may be a better deal to buy the soft covers and then resell when you are finished rather than purchasing the ebook since you can not resell the ebook. When I looked they were going for right around $21 for the pre-level 1 books.